VOGONS

VGA cards that predate VESA

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by codyw1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that Intel 82706 card too. I never realized until now that "Hercules" was a company.
I thought it was just the name of an MDA card, that included some kind of monochrome graphics mode.
So when I saw that card had a Hercules logo on it, I assumed it had mistakenly been labeled a VGA card.
None on eBay either, it's a shame.

Reply 21 of 23, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
codyw1996 wrote:

I thought it was just the name of an MDA card, that included some kind of monochrome graphics mode.

That's "Hercules Graphics Card".
Other than that, they had a looong range of products, from plain MDA, to some AGP cards.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 22 of 23, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
codyw1996 wrote:

There are things like delays that I need to generate between register writes

Not on VGA you don't.
That is only for certain quirky hardware, such as the OPL2 and OPL3 chips, and certain chipset things like the interrupt controller (which was probably solved by the time the 386 came around, and would mainly apply to early XT and AT class machines). Basically for chips that require some time to 'settle' before they can accept new commands. VGA doesn't have this problem.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 23 of 23, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, when in doubt about implementation details (like that I/O-delay question), you could do worse than consulting the FRACTINT sources. It's been around for decades, and has been tested on more chipsets than I'm likely to get in my lifetime. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]