VOGONS

First post, by adimifus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to get F29 Retaliator to recognize and use an MT-32 for music?

There is no setup program or configuration file I can see (only retal.00, retal.01, x.exe). I took out my sound card, thinking maybe it defaulted to that if it detected one, but still nothing.

Searching online, all I've been able to find is information about getting it to run in DOSBox, including here.

EDIT: I would contact Malik from the linked thread, who said "it works for me in pure DOS", but I apparently don't have enough posts or whatever to use private messages. So I guess all I can do is hope someone sees this post...

Reply 3 of 5, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's your setup? , works fine for me on my ms-5148 motherboard with 430tx chipset and pentium 233 cpu.

20220104_173210.jpg
Filename
20220104_173210.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adimifus wrote on 2019-08-11, 22:45:
Does anyone know how to get F29 Retaliator to recognize and use an MT-32 for music? […]
Show full quote

Does anyone know how to get F29 Retaliator to recognize and use an MT-32 for music?

There is no setup program or configuration file I can see (only retal.00, retal.01, x.exe). I took out my sound card, thinking maybe it defaulted to that if it detected one, but still nothing.

Searching online, all I've been able to find is information about getting it to run in DOSBox, including here.

EDIT: I would contact Malik from the linked thread, who said "it works for me in pure DOS", but I apparently don't have enough posts or whatever to use private messages. So I guess all I can do is hope someone sees this post...

Are you using a roland mpu 401 interface box or a midi gameport cable?

Reply 5 of 5, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got to try my hardware on this game.
so, all you need is authentic MPU401 or MPU401/AT interface connected to authentic MT-32/ CM-32L/CM64/CM500 module. I think the problem of non-detection of Roland MIDI device is in clone cards, at least my PCMIDI v010 card doesn't work, although it works in any another game I tried. will check HardMPU tomorrow.
My setup is P3@866MHz, i440BX, SBPro 2.0
So there's no speed sensitiveness or sound card conflict (just what I expected at first) , just use original hardware and you're good to go.