VOGONS

Reply 12541 of 27168, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, thanks for the warning. I didn't think it would make a big difference, tbh.

The old one has something like 6.9 cfm over the Noctua's 4.8, but then, there's no great loads on this PSU.

Maybe a good idea to just monitor the temperature for a while. I was actually planning on putting in an additional case fan to help with overall cooling, that might offset things.

Reply 12542 of 27168, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

when I got this case the CD drive was jammed into the case, including the drawer mechanism, forgot to take a picture before... only took one after I aligned it...

hardware22_01.jpg
Filename
hardware22_01.jpg
File size
129.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

had to pull out the drawer with a flat piece of metal:

hardware22_02.jpg
Filename
hardware22_02.jpg
File size
126.67 KiB
Views
File license

the open/close latch was jammed, so I opened the drive and almost lost the tiny bearing balls that came falling out ^^... the magnet inside with the metal clips came loose and somehow got jammed inside the plastic housing, after pulling it out and aligning it again it seems to work fine 😀

hardware22_03.jpg
Filename
hardware22_03.jpg
File size
75.33 KiB
Views
File license

and did a quick cleanup, that's one happy 1992 CD-Rom drive 😀

hardware22_04.jpg
Filename
hardware22_04.jpg
File size
88.7 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12543 of 27168, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

when I got this case the CD drive was jammed into the case, including the drawer mechanism, forgot to take a picture before... only took one after I aligned it...

hardware22_01.jpg

That PC case is really nice.

Reply 12544 of 27168, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it is indeed, my first desktop case, I like the "car hood" like opening mechanism ^^ and if that wasn't enough it also came with that odd but awesome mitsumi drive.

Reply 12545 of 27168, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Saw the new Rocko's Modern Life special on Netflix. It was amazing, especially if you grew up watching the show.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 12546 of 27168, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote:
imi wrote:

hardware22_01.jpg

That PC case is really nice.

actually I had a similar one and the build quality wasn't great - thin metal and lots of flex. I don't know if yours is built any better?

Love the hood though!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 12547 of 27168, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

I'm sure someone would have use for the remains...

If someone is interested in a free Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo with a missing capacitor, then let me know. I still have it.

Reply 12548 of 27168, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
imi wrote:

If someone is interested in a free Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo with a missing capacitor, then let me know. I still have it.

I would take it, but you should know, that is five minutes and a capacitor away from being worth 80$-100$ USD 😉

Reply 12549 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
imi wrote:

I would take it, but you should know, that is five minutes and a capacitor away from being worth 80$-100$ USD 😉

Depending on what type and which capacitor it is, that may not be a job for a novice with solder.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12550 of 27168, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

Depending on what type and which capacitor it is, that may not be a job for a novice with solder.

Although even a novice with way too gratuitous amounts of solder can easily "blob-botch" one of these if capable of a half-steady hand, which would result in a working albeit ugly result, I do agree.

Reply 12551 of 27168, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
imi wrote:

If you're serious on that, I'd be on that immediately, sounds like a fun repair project to me!

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 12552 of 27168, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
imi wrote:

If you're serious on that, I'd be on that immediately, sounds like a fun repair project to me!

Send me a PM if you want to collect it or contact me via my website.

Reply 12553 of 27168, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

actually I had a similar one and the build quality wasn't great - thin metal and lots of flex. I don't know if yours is built any better?

Love the hood though!

I wouldn't say build quality is great... the metal isn't really thin as such but yes the whole case flexes quite a bit when open because the whole case is just held together by one big U-shaped metal piece (I guess it'd be better if I had it standing on a stable surface), also the whole case is a bit "ouf of shape", but eh, I still like it 😀

Reply 12554 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CD drive must be a Mitsumi CRMC-LU005S.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12555 of 27168, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm making RAM sticks ~

IMG_5497.jpg
Filename
IMG_5497.jpg
File size
863.68 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_5505.jpg
Filename
IMG_5505.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12556 of 27168, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
kaputnik wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I had been reverse engineering the jumper settings for a MHz display in one of my cases, but I could not get one of the segments to work. I had concluded that the segment must be defective 🙁

Today I desoldered it from the PCB (nice first job for my new desoldering station), and tested it. The segments LED is indeed not working 🙁 Unfortunately it's the middle horizontal one, so I can only make a 1 or a 7 now 🙁

I wonder if I can find a replacement. Finding the data sheet for the display unit was surprisingly easy (and very helpful).

Those 7 segment displays are usually standard off the shelf stuff. Shouldn't be hard or expensive to find a replacement 😀

If you can't find a 2 digit one, I'd guess two 1 digit ones would be fine too. The pin configuration on those displays seems to be pretty standardized.

I have been looking for a replacement last night, the pinout seems standard, and so does the voltage (if I pick the same color). Now finding one (or two) for a decent price (including shipping) is a bit harder. Replacing it with two 1 digit displays seems impossible, it has 2x 9 pins. Will continue the search today.

If you're in the GTA, I know where to get these for pennies. Old school ones too.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 12557 of 27168, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got myself a C64!

This would not be my first one, probably like the 5th or 6th if you count VIC20 machines, but I want to keep this one for a bit and actually learn how to use it and program on it. I will need a better solution for a monitor, but for now it's connected to a cheap-as-free 14 inch TV VCR combo.

In taking steps to preserve it, I've hacked up an old 486 CPU cooler as well as one from a Pentium, and set on epoxying the bits of heatsink to the most prominently heat prone chips in both the main unit and the 1541 (with a 1541C drive swapped in, faceplate and all)

IuCBuVKl.jpg

A tribute to the cooler that gave its life:

ldHwj8Jl.jpg

This one is actually just heatsink compound:

aNGYgsDl.jpg

Main system board:

oAaLwYol.jpg

Floppy drive:

713jyXsl.jpg

I will go add one more sink to the rectifier diodes in the floppy drive before my epoxy dries out.

Next step is to clean it up a little more, wait for my XM1541 adapter to arrive, and start using this thing!

That and figure out a better way to output. I see some people connect LCDs to these, do I have to use an expensive scaler, or is there another way?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 12558 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Making heatsinks from a 486 and Pentium cooler for the Commodore 1541 and 64 are amazing. I need to start doing that for my C64 sometime soon and find a 1541-II diskette drive, then swap the KERNAL ROM for the diskette drive from CBM to JiffyDOS for faster load times and a datasette. I wonder if the local video game store has any Commodore systems, accessories, and games? I would love to grab copies of games for the datasette as I admire the loading sequence they have, diskettes of the games, or cartridges. I have a couple of Atari joysticks that I can use for the C64, and I wish that someone can port the Sierra quest games, like Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry (EGA version) for the C64 someday so the joysticks can be used to control the characters and entering the commands from the keyboard.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12559 of 27168, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a friend come by to check out a couple 486 machines he was interested in, and despite them both working OK the last time I tried them out, OF COURSE they had a bunch of brand-new issues when we went to get them going. He stayed around for an hour & we tried to sort them out, but no luck. Now there's boxes of parts and opened systems all over my living room again and I have to spend the rest of the evening putting it all away. AGAIN.

I think it's time to flog pretty much everything I own that's pre-ATX. It's just not fun to mess with this stuff anymore. Spare parts are too hard to get & there are too many issues that should be "easy fixes" but leave systems in pieces on my bench for weeks. Pentium IIs and Athlon XPs "just work" for Win9x and I can't think of a single DOS app I'd want to run that's too speed-sensitive for my P233MMX (and DOSBox works great for those.) Somebody else's turn to get headaches from this lot.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!