First post, by CuPid
CPU-Z turns 20 this year, and to celebrate that birthday I decided to improve (add, in some cases) the support of 486, 586 and 686 class processors. I work on that project for three months now, and get a beta version ready. I’m asking the help of the Vogons community to test that the beta version, gather the bugs, errors, suggestions and remarks, and very generally give me your opinion.
Some preliminary notes :
Minimal requirements for OS and CPU :
the new version is separated from the classic CPU-Z, and is built with Visual 6.0 in order to work on Windows 95. 386 class processors are supported in theory, but only a few 386 users run windows 95, so I did not get very deep into that, except for 486DLC/SXL.
New features :
- support the processors w/o the cpuid instruction.
- CPU clock speed is reported on processors w/o TSC.
- New INT/FPU benchmark (monothread). The bench test runs for fixed time of 10 seconds on all machines (5 seconds w/o FPU). To get consistent results under Windows 9x, please don’t move the mouse during the test.
- Report on-board caches : well, at least partially and only on mainboards with PCI (see below for more information about that).
What you can do to help :
Of course report any information that seems wrong or only partial. However I’m looking for some specific returns :
- If you have a system running a Ti 486SXL (PGA132 or 168), or
- If you have a system running an Intel DX4 in 2x mode, or
- If you have a system running an IBM BL3 (aka DLC3), also please send me a report.
- If your system has on-board cache and your mainboard uses PCI, and cpu-z does not report it, please send me a report.
- Please send me your benchmarks scores (or post them in that thread) so I can complete the reference table.
In order to generate a report : from the Tools button at the bottom of the application or from the about tab (Save reports as .TXT), then please send your file to : firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also join a screenshot if you think it can be useful (missing or wrong logo for example).
Download link : http://download.cpuid.com/betas/cpuz_w95.zip
Big thanks in advance.