VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On January the 5th, Pseudopode asked me to review and comment the latest version of his french manual of DOSBox 0.63. I was running short on time, and was only able to read it now..

I'm stunned..

He wrote 45 pages, documenting every option in the config file, and discussing every potential issues someone who's not technically savvy could meet.

Here is a link to his website, and a direct link to the download page.
http://clinique.jeuxvideos.free.fr/
http://clinique.jeuxvideos.free.fr/dwnld.php?lng=fr&pg=89

Reply 1 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Amazing indeed. Made me wish my French was a lot better.

Seems like there is a VDMSound guide in the works too...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 25, by Pseudopode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to translate it, but my english is not very good... so I can't do it myself. 🙁 In fact it would have been a good way to submit it to a large amount of people, including your team, to point its flaws and correct/improve them.

Anyway, as a user of DOSBox, I'm very honored that you appreciate my work. 😊

PS. Best regards to Ulf, because this story started with the french readme of DOSBox 0.58. 😉

PPS. Hello to my friend Victor who wrote the french language file.

Reply 7 of 25, by Tapx

User metadata

Hi all,

happy new year !

Though I may not have plenty of time to do it, I volunteer for English translation. I am a native French speaker but I feel comfortable enough with English to give it a try.

Just let me know in this forum. If some other people are interested we might divide the document and submit a temporary draft to a native English speaker for farther improvement.

Best,
Tapx

Reply 8 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If someone can give me a download link (since the one above doesn't appear to be working), I'll do some work on it. I need some French work, I've only been doing German recently.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 9 of 25, by Pseudopode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

The correct link is http://clinique.jeuxvideos.free.fr/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=91

At this point I wrote three manuals, one using the CHM format and the two others using the PDF format.
1. Découvrir DOSBox avec D-Fend (CHM) / Discover DOSBox with D-Fend
2. Débuter avec DOSBox (PDF) / Start with DOSBox
3. Utilisation avancée de DOSBox (PDF) / Advanced usage of DOSBox
I hope titles are correctly translated into english.

I'm very honoured by your offer to help, I really appreciate it. 😊

Reply 10 of 25, by Tapx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I started to work on the beginners guide.
number 2. in Pseudopode's list.
I also registered on the forum so now if people want to contact me directly It is possible without posting in this topic.

I am now at page 7 of 55 so if some other people want to contribute to the english translation I suggest starting at page 20 or 25.

For the moment I am only doing raw text tranlsation. I suppose we can take care of the layout settings latter.

Best
Tapx
😁

Reply 11 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd started that, too, within the past week or so (did up to ~ page 11 with layout), but my computer's currently ... in need of service, and I don't know if the hard drive with the work on is one of the things that's affected. If you want to keep on with that I'll take the advanced one instead once I'm up and running again, I'm easy.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 12 of 25, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can at least suggest some title translations... ;D

2) DOSBox for Dummies
3) DOSBox for Advanced Dummies

Unfortunately, I'm way too busy with professional projects (not even mentioning the occasional retrogaming translations) to be of any help to Pseudopode these days. Though I can eventually contribute to the proof-reading process.

Good luck to the translators :)

Reply 13 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, I actually considered DOSBox for Dummies. I went with Getting Started with DOSBox and (I think) Advanced DOSBox in the end.

It looks like my computer's going to need to be completely rebuilt, anyhow, so it'll be a short while before I get back into it.

Reply 14 of 25, by Pseudopode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for your work and your efforts. I really appreciate it.

If necessary I could build a CHM file for each guide, including both english and french version.

PS. There will be soon a new guide, smaller than the existing ones which will contain only a few pages. It's called "Guide rapide", but I'm not sure how to translate it. Is "Quick guide" a good translation ?

Reply 16 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Generally you'd call it a quickstart guide.

Reply 17 of 25, by Pseudopode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ChaosFish,
It's not exactly a guide which is intended to be read in x minutes, it's more a guide which only gives the essential informations to start with DOSBox.
In fact it contains several "How to" :
. How to install DOSBox,
. How to mount a virtual hard drive,
. How to setup a french keyboard,
. How to mount a virtual CD-ROM drive (from a real CD-ROM drive, from a directory, from an image file),
. How to mount a virtual floppy drive (from a real floppy drive, from a directory, from an image file),
. How to switch from windowed mode to fullscreen mode,
. How to speed up/slow down emulation,
And a few informations about configuring DOS games.
I wrote this guide because some users don't like the other ones which are too big for them.
"Quickstart guide" seems to be a more suitable translation.

Hi Kaminari, good to see you here. 😉

By the way, I forgot to mention that these guides are not appropriate to Linux or Mac users.

Reply 18 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually if you're doing specific instruction sets like that you might want to use something like quick reference instead. It really depends on just what you're including and how you're presenting it (whereby a quickstart guide is, logically, a quick guide to getting started, as opposed to the sort of thing that tends towards a FAQ-like format).