VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since there are a few DOS games that can not run under my system (even with SetMul) (Chaos Engine, Tyrian, Turrican 2), I was wondering if you guys can recommend a specific build that runs under Win98SE and my PIII-800MHz CPU.

Thanks!

My System specs:

PIII-800E
Abit BH-6
256MB SD-RAM PC100
AWE64 Gold
Sound Canvas 55 MKII

Windows 98SE (but I am using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option to play the launch the game from a DOS prompt)

SoftMPU

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really? I am going to give it try then!

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The current official versions of DOSBox work on Windows 95+ and are compiled with Mingw w/GCC.
The unofficial versions are usually compiled with versions of Visual Studio that don't support less than Windows XP.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been using the Korean developer's SVM DAUM which has support for Quick SAVE and Quick Load on my XP machine, and I love it. I am going to give it a try. I wish the official ones had support for Quick Save/Load as well!

Reply 5 of 7, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
C0deHunter wrote:

I wish the official ones had support for Quick Save/Load as well!

Sorry to spoil your fun. Nope, that feature is not merged into official upstream DOSBox. If you really like it, then you will have to pick from the community builds or build your own by applying the patch.

Reply 6 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are we talking about this patch?

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)

Thanks!

Reply 7 of 7, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hint1: DOSBox on modern hardware is better to be used. Though P3 800 MHz should be enough for many games.
you may want lesser delays in action games. may need to reduce sound quality

hint2: if you don't want to install XP on P3, some LiveCD may to have it to run ykhwong's DOSBox

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide