VOGONS

First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yp3uGwJKw

problem is I even try to set SVGA 1024x768 256cols from regular win setup , and my lcd monitor shows freq out of sync...

Reply 1 of 17, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 3.11 needs a specific driver for each chipset family of graphic accelerators. There are only very few "generic drivers" which also only work for a handful of cards... You have to search for the Win3.1 drivers for your specific graphics chip in order to achieve any resolution beyond 640x480x16. The few SVGA drivers that are shipped with Win3.1 are only working for the handful of graphics chipsets that were released at the time when Win3.1 came out. With a chance of 95% upwards you will be in need of your specific 3rd party driver, as the setup states, when installing. You can always change/install your specific graphics card driver after the installation has finished via the Windows Setup.

If you have any problems finding the driver you would need, state the model of your GPU card / model of your computer (if it's a laptop)

Reply 2 of 17, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:

problem is I even try to set SVGA 1024x768 256cols from regular win setup , and my lcd monitor shows freq out of sync...

He probably used a fast Pentium MMX with a matrox G200 PCI card. I've played with this combination as well, but ultimately moved to windows 95/98 on this computer because I wanted larger hard drive partitions than 2GB.

This combination is very very fast for a Windows 3.11 machine, and using the Matrox G200 drivers means the drivers will read a compatible refresh rate from your monitor and use it with your monitor, allowing for extremely high resolutions and color depths with exceptionally responsive performance.

Reply 3 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why couldn't you accomplish this same thing but faster with a Pentium III and a TNT2 card, or something like that? Obviously WFW 3.11 is a not the right OS for such a machine but still.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its showing out of sync because many/most ISA and VLB cards default to using interlaced scan modes for 1024x768 to achieve compatibility with old VGA displays. Look for a manufacturer specific utility for your video card to select a 60Hz progressive timing mode for 1024x768

Reply 5 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retropol wrote:

Another workaround is using a patched SVGA driver. Some guys patched that universal WfW driver in a way so it would always use VESA VBE graphics modes,
instead of setting-up each of the old chipsets' indivdual SVGA modes (Cirrus, Oak, Trident, Tseng etc).
See Re: Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and NVidia FX 5200?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 17, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Another workaround is using a patched SVGA driver. Some guys patched that universal WfW driver in a way so it would always use V […]
Show full quote
retropol wrote:

Another workaround is using a patched SVGA driver. Some guys patched that universal WfW driver in a way so it would always use VESA VBE graphics modes,
instead of setting-up each of the old chipsets' indivdual SVGA modes (Cirrus, Oak, Trident, Tseng etc).
See Re: Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and NVidia FX 5200?

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I got so damn interested in how the hell he achieved a such amazing resolution. Is it possible with DOSBox?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 7 of 17, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I got so damn interested in how the hell he achieved a such amazing resolution. Is it possible with DOSBox?

Vanilla DosBox is emulating a 2mb videocard, so its unlikely a modified driver would help. Some of the custom builds allow for more flexibility.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 9 of 17, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:

Vanilla DOSBox works fine at 1024x768 64K using the S3 Trio64V driver.

Yeah, I know, but the video shows a higher resolution. I wonder if it could be done in dosbox-x version

EDIT: Excerpt taken from Dosbox wiki:

svga_s3 (vga on DOSBox 0.71 and 0.72) is SVGA (Super Video Graphics Array): A loose standard designed to allow graphics modes superior to that of VGA. This option emulates an S3 Trio64, one of the most compatible SVGA cards, supporting 256 colors at up to 1600x1200 and full (32- or 24-bit) color at up to 1024x768. It is nearly 100% backwards compatible with VGA, and thus is backwards compatible with EGA and CGA (except 16-color composite mode). It is not backwards compatible with special Tandy, PCjr or Hercules Monochrome graphics modes.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2019-08-27, 13:38. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 10 of 17, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BinaryDemon wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Vanilla DosBox is emulating a 2mb videocard, so its unlikely a modified driver would help. Some of the custom builds allow for more flexibility.

Heyy, that distro in your signature! Does it allow to use other dosbox versions? I was exactly looking for a similar solution to use with my raspberry pi 3

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 11 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BinaryDemon wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

MS Virtual PC 2007 supports more than that. By default, it emulates a S3 Trio 32/64 PCI with VBE 2.0 and 8MB of RAM, if memory serves.
However, some old S3 drivers may only detect 2 to 4MB of RAM (hence it's better to use the supplied VM additions).
The maximum VRAM VPC can provide is 16MB, I believe. That requires some manual editiing of the *.vmc file, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual … ted_environment

Edit: I forgot. There's an important patch for VPC 2007, KB958162_64bit.msp (KB958162_32bit.msp for Win x86).
Also, AMD-V/Intel-VT is required to get Win32s v1.30c working (v1.25 may work without, not sure).
Enabled hardware virtualization also speeds up MS-DOS in real-mode.
Without it, MS-DOS in V86 mode may be faster (= EMM386 or QEMM loaded).
That's in contrast to Win9x or OS/2. They run more stable without AMD-V/Intel-VT.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 17, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have cl-gd5428-80qc-a

found drivers on vogons

installed

the max I can achieve is 1024x768 x 256col or 12??x??? (dont remember) x 16col

why? this vga card is not able to achieve more?

and, what monitor I should use - the one (LCD) I have is not able to display 1024x768 because of Hz / sync issue (

Reply 14 of 17, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes there is SETRES

- 800x600 x 65k colors - is max I can achieve on this lcd monitor with no problems

- there is also 1024x768 x 256col available on the options but LCD has sync issues when changing to it
- there is also 1248x1024 x 16col available on the options but LCD has sync issues when changing to it

if I dont see possibility in SETRES to set more than 256 cols on 1024x768 it is not a problem of driver - it is the limit of the card itself? no ram?

Reply 15 of 17, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep in mind that Windows 3.1x is limited to about 4MB of video memory due to its design. High resolution/color displays weren't a priority in 1992. Very few people ran desktops higher than 640x480 until well into the Windows 9x era.

Reply 16 of 17, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

Heyy, that distro in your signature! Does it allow to use other dosbox versions? I was exactly looking for a similar solution to use with my raspberry pi 3

Sorry I didnt see this earlier. Good question, I never tried. I've just always used the dosbox package designed for tinycore.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 17 of 17, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BinaryDemon wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Sorry I didnt see this earlier. Good question, I never tried. I've just always used the dosbox package designed for tinycore.

I'll have a look on it when I have some time. My game plan is to run DOSBox-X version with NE2000 emulation enabled, so I can get it to connect to the internet.

JOBS, Steve.