VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am running RB3D with the Glidos wrapper on a P1.8/Geforce4 set up and it mostly looks terrific and runs smoothly.

Except

When flying in clouds I regularly get to a point where I get shimmering triangular outlines appearing. These seem to be cloud bmps at the point where they are viewed nearly end-on. If I pause the game and scan around so that I am looking at the shimering tile at closer to a right angle, the distortion disappears. No other complaints, so this one starts to stand out and nag at me.

Any advice/fix suggestions gratefully received.

Mark

Reply 2 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never seen that, but I'm probably using a different RB patch to get my textures. I haven't kept up to date because I use a modem and the downloads are so big.

Only thing I can think of to try is turning off mipmapping in the .ini file.

Reply 4 of 15, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Never seen that, but I'm probably using a different RB patch to get my textures. I haven't kept up to date because I use a modem and the downloads are so big.

Only thing I can think of to try is turning off mipmapping in the .ini file.

Nope, does not help. Happens with PL-superpatch. Will try to verify whether it is another "overseized-bmp" bug. Furhtermore will search my archive, whether I can find a sky-patch with similar features for you.

Reply 7 of 15, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Can't imagine quite what you are seeing. Can you post a jpg?

Here's a screenie:

http://www.swwisa.net/~deltak/SCREENS/Triangles.jpg

Within the triangle the sky colours are flickering tremendeously.

Btw, I stumbled over a link posted by DosFreak ( I think ), where I can download OpenGLide versions v007b5 and v008a1. Is there a special reason, why these have not been made available from the Red Baron section of your site?

Reply 8 of 15, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeltaK wrote:
Here's a screenie: […]
Show full quote

Here's a screenie:

Btw, I stumbled over a link posted by DosFreak ( I think ), where I can download OpenGLide versions v007b5 and v008a1. Is there a special reason, why these have not been made available from the Red Baron section of your site?

Geesh! Cannot edit my post, despite being logged in I always get:

vBulletin Message
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Ok, here is the corrected link:

http://www.swwisa.net/~deltak/SCREEN/Triangles.jpg

Reply 11 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeltaK wrote:
Here's a screenie: […]
Show full quote

Here's a screenie:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18883

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeltaK wrote:

Well, I'd say since the Red Baron section is just OpenGlide + a customized OpenGlid.ini for Red Baron, he's not going to be updating it as much. As DosFreak said, pay more attention to OpenGlide.

In fact, at some point I'd recommend, DeltaK, pointing all wrapper-searchers to OpenGlide's site rather than Paul's site. That's up to him, though.

Reply 14 of 15, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Well, I'd say since the Red Baron section is just OpenGlide + a customized OpenGlid.ini for Red Baron, he's not going to be updating it as much. As DosFreak said, pay more attention to OpenGlide.

In fact, at some point I'd recommend, DeltaK, pointing all wrapper-searchers to OpenGlide's site rather than Paul's site. That's up to him, though.

Well, we sometimes have a typical hardcore group attitude and tend to think, that there are no games apart from RB. 😉 But I started an initiative a couple of days ago, when posting the a.m. link on our SWWISA Forum. Give us some time.

And one thing is for sure: Paul will remain one of our Heroes. 😀

Hmmmmmmmm, I just wonder whether this thread should have been started in the OpenGL section......

Last edited by DeltaK on 2002-11-25, 20:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes going to source forge now is probably best, although the only reason that I haven't bothered to update the copy on the Glidos site is that none of the recent changes are likely to make much difference to Red Baron... actually there might have been one which would lessen the slow down caused by chat lines, but maybe I updated then.