VOGONS

First post, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,

Does anyone know of a small windows desktop program that can allow me to create a bit of x86 assembly language, run it and see how the registers are effected? It would help if it emulated a bit of memory too.

I have Turbo Debugger but I can't create code on the fly, well not without writing over actually memory.

Thank you

Anthony

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 1 of 2, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can take UniPCemu, put it's debugger in single-step mode, then use nasm to compile a BIOS and copy it to the ROM directory, then run UniPCemu and observe the code executing by pressing numpad 2?

Afaik a compiler that allows for assembly machine code to be changed on the fly doesn't exist yet? I've never seen one at least.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 2 of 2, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not a "small windows" program, but its free. You can use the MSVC community, in a 32-bit program you can inline asm (64-bit doesn't allow inline asm) and see the values for the registers as you step through. I do this a lot in my unit tests to make sure the actual asm on hardware matches what I do in my emulator.

http://www.boxedwine.org/