VOGONS

First post, by Viper87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://allegro.pl/oferta/geforce-4200-titani … link-8190719654

im looking for non AGP 8x GF 4200 for my Socket 7 system, now i have 8x version and in pcmark04 in 3d test its restarts my pc so i figured out that it is because of AGP incompatible and according to this http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.h … niversalagpcard i need 4x version.

Reply 1 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCB date and 64MB of VRAM suggest the older 4x variant. 😀
However you can only be certain after removing the heatsink and looking at the chip. NV25 is the 4x chip, NV28 the 8x part.
Still both chips should be AGP 1.0 and 3.3V capable. If the crash only occurs in 3D but the card boots and runs 2D fine there shouldn't be an incompatibility. Are you sure your problem is caused by the 8x variant? SS7 boards with ALi chipsets have been known to cause problems with nVidia AGP cards back in the day. Could that be the root of your problem? Could it also be the card draws too much current in 3D? Some early AGP motherboards couldn't supply enough power to AGP. It's always good to post full PC specs for troubleshooting. 😀
The 4200 will also be bottlenecked by whatever processor you install on that board so maybe you'd want to go for a whole other card?

Reply 2 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Viper87 wrote:

https://allegro.pl/oferta/geforce-4200-titani … link-8190719654

im looking for non AGP 8x GF 4200 for my Socket 7 system, now i have 8x version and in pcmark04 in 3d test its restarts my pc so i figured out that it is because of AGP incompatible and according to this http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.h … niversalagpcard i need 4x version.

The drivers should have a way to limit the card to AGP 4x or even ATP 2x mode.

Regardless, Super Socket 7 chipsets have very troublesome AGP implementations that did not play ball with even most AGP 2x hardware so expecting a GeForce 4 to work in there is wishful thinking in my opinion.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 12, by Viper87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 3 boards:
Chaintech CT-5RSA2 - Ali V
Soltek SL-54U1 - MVP3
Amptron PM9900 - AGPset/MVP3
and all of them have isses with my cards [9200SE, R9500, MX440, FX5200,FX5500,FX5700,Ti4200] all of them are Universal AGP 3.0 Cards only old Rage128 is working properly, now im trying to borrow GF 2MX from my friend and i will test it before i buy this gf4 4200
ive checked hwbot and most scores from PCmark04 are on AGP 4x cards like Radeon 9000 or 4 ti 4200 so it have to be this imo

Reply 4 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really hope you're going to prove me wrong but I highly doubt this issue will be resolved by another GF 4200 Ti.
Bad AGP implementation on SS7 and problems with Nvidia cards were a well known issue back in 1999.

Other troubleshooting tips are reinstalling Windows then chipset drivers then 2002 GPU drivers.

Please keep us updated on any progress. 😀

Reply 5 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had very little problems running ANY agp Nvidia card on my Asus P5A. One of the few problems was an Asus Geforce2 Ti but an Asus Geforce2 GTS runs fine and so does an Ultra (which is weird). No problems with geforce256, geforce2 (mx), geforce3, geforce4ti and mx.

A lot of cards might however be a bit tough on the agp power supply that is used on some of these old boards. For that reason (and obviously bottlenecks) I would not go higher than a Geforce2. MX is also excellent and has more than enough power for any cpu supported by these boards.

Also tested my Aopen mvp3 board with a lot of cards with almost no issues, same for my gigabyte, DFi and Epox boards. Stop yelling about the issues and start testing.... many boards run fine with most cards. I have A LOT of ss7 boards from different brands and they are not having the problems people keep repeating here for years and years. JUST USE THE RIGHT AGP DRIVER AND BIOS SETTINGS.

Sure some may have more issues but I had my fair share of problems with Athlon setups as well for example (don't get me started on slot A) and even some BX boards.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 12, by Viper87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i managed to run Radeon 9000 Pro on Amptron board but on Chaintech it still restarts pc, on soltek pcm04 dont work with K5 and i cant change CPU, with K6, cyrix or pentium this mb is dead so i have a little success, damm this took me some time to test all combinations.

Reply 7 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that ALI Aladdin V had a number of chipset revisions so behavior is going to vary.

I have had less success than meljor with my P5A. It really only likes 3dfx AGP cards. Those are rock solid and perform very well (even for video playback).

Frankly I think AGP is flakey unless you are using an Intel chipset or you have a VIA/SIS/NVidia chipset from >= 2003. For example, Radeon 8500 doesn't work reliably on VIA KT333 or NV nForce1, but it's rock solid once you have VIA K8T800 or nForce 3. In fact Radeons force AGP 1x for nForce1 in most cases (similar to GeForce on VIA KX133.)

Reply 8 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird. I have never had any issues with AGP, despite having a P5A ss7, 2 x s370 systems, and one each of s462 and s478. Cards are all AGP and range from s3 virge GX to savage4 to v3 3000 to v5 5500 to fx5950u. I fully expected I would one day but nope. Don't ask me about trying to get a SBLive/audigy1 working with a via chipset however ...

Reply 9 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI is indeed troublesome as well. It's not just Live and Audigy. Ethernet and drive interface cards can be trouble as well. Sometimes it just comes down to which slot you use. Even on an Intel chipset. But with VIA you sometimes simply don't have a good PCI implementation on the motherboard, or just a poorly programmed BIOS. George Breese's PCI Latency Patch can sometimes help with the latter. But if you have VIA 686B southbridge you have more problems.

Which extends to AGP as well. That's why NV, Matrox, and ATI will force AGP 1x with some chipsets. Sidebanding and fast writes are also tweaked by the driver as needed. ATI has the super easy to see SmartGART, Matrox has a utility called MTSU, but NV you need Rivatuner to see what it's running and to configure.

Reply 10 of 12, by Viper87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What PSU you recommand for SS7 im asking because im using one modern 720W and second old Samsung 200W, first have ~150w on 3v+5v and second 125w, is this enought for overclocked cpu and gpu like 4200ti?

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Super 7 doesn't consume much power. 150W on 3.3v & 5v is pretty good. That could power a mid-range Athlon. It's similar to a 300W from the +5v focused times.