What do you drive?

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:

nice TE37s! I used to have an 8MR. Still miss it every day. How are you liking the cobb? are you using an OTS tune or was it custom dyno tuned? I'm still trying to decide cobb or ecutek.

wiretap wrote:

Evo X, Cobb Stage 2 w/ ETS intake and UICP, AMS widemouth downpipe, cat delete, full AMS turbo-back single exit exhaust, etc.

Been using the Stage 2 OTS tune for the past 80k miles. It's been great, zero issues. Well, except when it gets down to 20F degrees or colder outside I have to switch to the Stage 2 Low Wastegate Actuation tune or else I overboost.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 302 of 918, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate driving. That’s what too many years of commuting in heavy traffic does to you.
People who work in the San Francisco Bay Area and live out of the area have to commute about 3-4 hours each way.
Each work day. Traffic is terrible.

So I take mass transit. It’s just easy and inexpensive.
Even a taxi very now and then.

You use to be able to call the local bus service and they would come and pick you up at your house for only .10 cents.

Today the local bus service with WiFi access costs $2.50 one way with transfer.
And the BART ( subway ) costs about .17.5 cents a mile.

Allot less expensive than owning a car.
Where you have to worry about maintenance, insurance, tickets, parking, cleaning, etc.
It’s just a pain.

I am waiting for the self driving electric car service when you will no longer have to own a car. Just call them up and they will come to your home and pick you up.
I think car ownership is going to become a thing of the past and so will the DMV.

Public transit is actually pretty fast and clean in the Bay Area and inexpensive.
It has become allot better since it first started.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-09-13, 04:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 303 of 918, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
585A034A-EB2A-45FB-9E98-F5BDD3A39BE2.jpeg
Filename
585A034A-EB2A-45FB-9E98-F5BDD3A39BE2.jpeg
File size
737.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Current
1981 Comutacar
2000 Honda Insight
2013 Chevy Volt

Retired
1982 Diesel Suburban
1985 Yugo gv
2010 Chevy Cobalt
1970 Subaru 360

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2019-09-06, 20:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 304 of 918, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2000 Subaru Outback.

Peak Subaru! This thing rocks. Low mileage for a 2000 and in great condition. If I take care of it I bet it will last me a long time.

Even better, there are NO COMPUTERS in the dash!

When I step on the gas, there is a physical link between the pedal and the throttle! Nice.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 305 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up another car for my daily driver. 2019 Veloster N with performance package. Head unit runs Android as the base OS, so modding will be easy. 🤣

PGzgSIE.jpg

My Github

Reply 306 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The new veloster certainly looks the part. How does it drive? Are there a lot of performance options? How much power/torque can the bottom end handle?

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 307 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know how much power it can handle -- but I plan on upgrading it when more performance parts are on the market. I'm used to driving my Evo X which has 400+awhp with the work I have done to it, so this 275hp Veloster seems slow to me.. but it is actually pretty quick in reality. Driving it is pretty amazing, and I have to say for just FWD, it handles awesome. In Sport+ suspension mode, it is almost too stiff/rough for the road. Braking hard in sharp corners easily gets you on 3 wheels. I love it as my daily driver because it feels like a go-kart or something. Just watch a few YouTube reviews on it and you'll see what I mean. I am struggling to find a negative review of it. Back in 2004-2005 I worked at a Hyundai dealer as a porter just out of high school and I though I would never buy a Hyundai ever because they were garbage -- well that totally changed. It feels more solidly built that most other cars I've driven. (steering, suspension, braking, shifting, etc) The interior has a great layout, but of course on the cheaper side since it is based on an economy car. Seats feel ok, not quite on par with my Evo X's Recaro seats. Infotainment system is almost perfect. The exhaust is also pretty crazy for a factory vehicle -- putting it in Sport+ mode opens up a baffle and engages a little bit of anti-lag between shifts; it has a pretty loud crackle.. like loud enough where people I know on the Veloster forums have received noise violation tickets from it. haha. Definitely louder than a .22cal gun shot. Overall the exhaust sounds crazy in Sport+, but throaty in the lower RPM's and not annoying in the upper RPM's. In normal and eco mode, the car is very quiet. Gas mileage is also very good. I get around 24mpg with pretty spirited driving. If I go 50mph in 6th gear on the way home from work in eco mode, my best mileage has been 42mpg when driving at a sustained rate with cruise control. Overall on a tank with normal driving (mixed highway and city) I'm averaging around 29mpg. Much better than any of my other vehicles (Hummer H1 @ 8/15mpg / 10avg, Evo X @ 15/22mpg / 18avg, Mercedes GLA @ 20/30mpg / 25avg). I've only hit about 120mph in the Veloster so far, and it feels solid -- barely and aerodynamic issues I felt, and it drives more like a German car to me at those speeds. Similar feel to my old 2006 GTI or my wife's GLA. I'd rate the car overall a 7.5 out of 10. By comparison, I rate my Evo X a 8.5 out of 10. It needs a little more power and AWD to be a 9 out of 10 for me. I'm not used to spinning the front tires when accelerating hard in 1st since I've been driving an AWD car for the past 9 years.

My Github

Reply 309 of 918, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote:

Retired
1982 Diesel Suburban

Man you should get that thing back on the road again. Gotta love a noisy Detroit diesel 😎

Reply 310 of 918, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still driving my 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue. Needs a new wheel hub on the passenger side front as the metal ring where the sensor resides on broke, fuel gauge needs to be repaired (possible corrosion on the wiring harness, and thankfully, the part is easy to get to), rear suspension needs to be replaced, same as the front controller arms and sway bar, parking brake needs adjusting (did the rear brakes recently), and the stud on the driver side rear needs to be replaced (bought new ones with lug nuts). Other than that, runs pretty well and over 120,300 miles on the clock. Original motor, transmission, starter, alternator, and A/C. Might do some body work (removing rust, painting over those spots, welding on metal, and all that good stuff) as well, but, I never welded. Will be a fun learning experience.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 312 of 918, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2018 Subaru BRZ Limited w Performance Package. When the warranty runs out Turbo time.

20190309_155557.jpg
Filename
20190309_155557.jpg
File size
461.38 KiB
Views
File comment
Meet Natasha
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 313 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

or 2JZ time 😀

Shagittarius wrote:

2018 Subaru BRZ Limited w Performance Package. When the warranty runs out Turbo time.

20190309_155557.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 314 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i've been driving AWD for as long as I could remember. The problem is all the previous AWD cars i've had (DSM, evo8) run out of steam when you get on the open highway because you have to spin all those extra drivetrain bits. My evo 8 had bolt ons and even though it was crazy quick off the line, a lot of cars would walk me on the top end.

For some reason the R35 doesn't have that problem. it just gets faster. I believe it can disengage the front wheels when you don't need the traction, but it still has no problems laying 4 strips of rubber from a standstill.

wiretap wrote:

. By comparison, I rate my Evo X a 8.5 out of 10. It needs a little more power and AWD to be a 9 out of 10 for me. I'm not used to spinning the front tires when accelerating hard in 1st since I've been driving an AWD car for the past 9 years.

Reply 315 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:

i've been driving AWD for as long as I could remember. The problem is all the previous AWD cars i've had (DSM, evo8) run out of steam when you get on the open highway because you have to spin all those extra drivetrain bits. My evo 8 had bolt ons and even though it was crazy quick off the line, a lot of cars would walk me on the top end.

For some reason the R35 doesn't have that problem. it just gets faster. I believe it can disengage the front wheels when you don't need the traction, but it still has no problems laying 4 strips of rubber from a standstill.

wiretap wrote:

. By comparison, I rate my Evo X a 8.5 out of 10. It needs a little more power and AWD to be a 9 out of 10 for me. I'm not used to spinning the front tires when accelerating hard in 1st since I've been driving an AWD car for the past 9 years.

My Evo X was the same way with the top end being somewhat slow. Once I installed an intake, UICP, AMS widemouth downpipe, turboback exhaust, and Cobb Stage 2 tune @ 30psi -- it pulls pretty hard through 5th gear on the highway and you'll get up to ~170mph no problem with ease. Of the random cars I've informally raced (friend's w/ supercharged Saleen Mustang, M3, Camaro SS, SRT-8, etc), it either hangs with them dead even or beats them. They always think it is pretty insane for a 2.0L 4 cylinder. I really don't notice much drivetrain loss even though it is there.

Now the Veloster N, once it gets to about 120mph, it is considerably slower above that. I can't wait to see what performance parts become available for it. Right now it is extremely limited, with only a few options like two vendors making intakes and downpipes, and a few piggyback ECU's.

My Github

Reply 316 of 918, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cars, don't talk to me about cars! Our 2002 Holden Astra (Opal in Europe I think) has been a trusty, boring work horse for the 10 or so years we've owned it but the auto trans is going and it's not worth spending money on it. I really don't like the idea of spending 30K+ on something that interests me abut as much as a washing machine but the kids are getting bloody huge and we want something big enough to handle weekends away, etc, so we're looking at a Toyota Rav4.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 317 of 918, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many KM does it show on the odometer? My 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX has over 120,400 miles on it and no transmission issues or major engine issues, other than losing a quart of oil every 2,000 miles (might be a bad oil drain plug seal, will fix that) and my dad's 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx LS 3.5L V6 hatchback has over 172K miles on it, however, no steering as the rack is toast.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 318 of 918, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Cars, don't talk to me about cars! Our 2002 Holden Astra (Opal in Europe I think) has been a trusty, boring work horse

The "Holden Astra" was developed (engineering & design) by Opel in Germany and was called Astra in Europe as well. The design has then been handed over to other GM sub-brands such as Vauxhall and Holden to complement their existing lineup in local markets.

Reply 319 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Cars, don't talk to me about cars! Our 2002 Holden Astra (Opal in Europe I think) has been a trusty, boring work horse for the 10 or so years we've owned it but the auto trans is going and it's not worth spending money on it. I really don't like the idea of spending 30K+ on something that interests me abut as much as a washing machine but the kids are getting bloody huge and we want something big enough to handle weekends away, etc, so we're looking at a Toyota Rav4.

A Rav4 is very small. If you have kids + suitcases, it probably won't all fit in there unless you get a roof rack. My parents just got one, and it is pretty nice though. If you want something bigger, I suggest looking on the certified used market -- you can save $10k-$15k on a vehicle with less than 30k miles that looks and drives practically new and maintain a full warranty.

My Github