VOGONS

First post, by Awats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to get the MT32 VST to pass the patch names to the DAW rather than just the patch number? Otherwise I have to watch the VST window as I change it in the DAW.

I suspect I know why it won't but figured I would ask. According to a couple of DAW companies they only display what is passed to it from the VST.

Awats

Reply 1 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Awats wrote:

Is there a way to get the MT32 VST to pass the patch names to the DAW rather than just the patch number? Otherwise I have to watch the VST window as I change it in the DAW.

I suspect I know why it won't but figured I would ask. According to a couple of DAW companies they only display what is passed to it from the VST.

Awats

Munt VSTi supports MidiProgramNames feature set (getMidiProgramName, getCurrentMidiProgram functions) to send program names to hosts. But the host also has to support this mechanism. This is the only standard mechanism defined by VST 2.4 specification for sending program names to hosts. Unfortunately very few host supports this. The only one known by me is Cubase:

MuntVSTi_Cubase.jpg
Filename
MuntVSTi_Cubase.jpg
File size
375.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

By the way Munt VSTi has its dedicated topic here:
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 3, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote a program that took the instrument patch names from an MT-32 SysEx file and created an INS file that Cakewalk can use for instrument names for MIDI instruments. I don't know if INS files work with other DAWs or not...

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.