VOGONS

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

So i have been playing Half life and its two expansions and it was easy to get the games working in widescreen as all of them have unofficial fixes.

However Gunman Chronicles has no patch under win98.

So i thought why not just look up how the hex edit method was used on Half life and yes the same values exist in the Gunman.exe.

So i changed the values but now Gunman refuses to start as windows warns me that the .exe has changed or may be infected by a virus.

I cant be alone in here playing old games on a widescreen.

Damn it i want to change values in alot of old games so the resolution changes.

How can i work around this?

Reply 1 of 6, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it Windows itself, or is it the AV you're running? Disable antivirus before running the game or grant the binary an exemption/whitelist it.

Reply 3 of 6, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to get in contact with UCyborg from this topic:

Half-Life 1280x1024 in D3D

He made unofficial patch for HL WON recently, so maybe he would be willing to do one for Gunman Chronicles as well.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 4 of 6, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unrealdevon wrote:

I run no anti virus programs.

So far i have only tried to edit Gunman but idk why windows does this.

Have a screenshot of the message? I haven't really run 98SE in years (sure did quite a bit in its heyday) and haven't seen anything like you're describing. It never complained about edits to IO.SYS and that's a file it ought to care about.

Reply 6 of 6, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote:
Unrealdevon wrote:

I run no anti virus programs.

So far i have only tried to edit Gunman but idk why windows does this.

Have a screenshot of the message? I haven't really run 98SE in years (sure did quite a bit in its heyday) and haven't seen anything like you're describing. It never complained about edits to IO.SYS and that's a file it ought to care about.

Sorry for the late response, i will try to give the exact message when i get the time .