VOGONS

First post, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege!

I am a proud user of your dgVoodoo2 for a so long time and it always helped me running my old games at modern resolutions and on modern systems.
But there is one very important thing that actually didn't work so well:

The GOG-version of "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine"

This version of the game uses an own ddraw.dll but the resolutions are very limited and I want to have all the nice features and benefits of dgVoodoo2 for this awesome game. But dgVoodoo2 replaces the ddraw.dll with its own version and the game works, but the performance is so bad. Maybe this is a thing you can fix or improve for a next update of dgVoodoo2? I can't believe it's a GOG issue. Maybe you can take a look at the GOG ddraw.dll and what makes it so special that the game runs only with this and not with dgVoodoo2 without stuttering.

Retail version has always run fine and smooth with dgVoodoo2, but not the GOG-version which has an updated Indy3D.exe.

My system:
Intel Core i7-4770
16 GB DDR3-800
nVidia GeForce RTX 2070
256 GB SSD
Win10 Pro x64 1903

Thank you so much for your great support!
And best regards,
Martin

Reply 1 of 23, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!

Thanks!
Last time I tried Infernal Machine it didn't have performance problems, only they native dialogs switch away from fullscreen (when pressing ESC ingame).

Edit: ops, OK, it's not the GOG version I tried. 😀

Reply 3 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

Thanks!
Last time I tried Infernal Machine it didn't have performance problems, only they native dialogs switch away from fullscreen (when pressing ESC ingame).

Edit: ops, OK, it's not the GOG version I tried. 😀

Only the GOG version laggs with dgVoodoo2. I think it has no compatibility modes applied.
If you have not the GOG version, I can give you the altering files. It's just the Indy3D.exe from GOG that cause the performance issues with dgVoodoo2's ddraw.dll. Or buy it for only $5. The retail CD version runs fine. But the GOG exe has so much important bug fixes added for the game compared to the retail exe, so the GOG version is the best version ever released, it just laggs with dgVoodoo2. Maybe it has some native compatibility fixes built-in while it runs smooth with GOG's ddraw.dll.

And would it be possible to have widescreen corrected FOV Hor+ in dgVoodoo2 for games that cuts 4:3 images down to 16:9 and lost image material at the top and bottom such as subtitles? Stretching the image isn't a good alternative too.

Reply 5 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Um, don't think. Check.

I've checked already and there is no compatibility mode applied. But maybe the compatibility fixes are part of the exe itself. GOG said they also fixed compatibility for modern systems. Nevertheless it runs smooth with their ddraw.dll, but not with the ddraw.dll that comes with dgVoodoo2.

Reply 7 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried another ddraw.dll which I use for other games (I think this is the best direct draw dll of all) and with this one the game runs smooth like a dream!

It's the ddraw.dll from narzoul, stable release 0.2.1
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

I noticed the dgVoodoo2 ddraw.dll will broke the performance with the same result as when you play completely without any ddraw.dll.

Last edited by Googolplexian on 2019-09-18, 19:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 23, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tested it on my machine, and

- Replacing GOG's ddraw.dll with mine causes no performance problems, 60 fps
- GOG's ddraw is a wrapper to D3D9, so using dgVoodoo D3D9 in combination of GOG ddraw also works, 60 fps

Is there a specific location in the game I could test (I did my tests only with the opening scene)?
Could you attach your dgvoodoo config file plz?

Reply 9 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's strange.
In the attachment is a screenshot of my Resource folder. I already used D3D9.dll in combination.
Don't be worried about some additional folders or files. They are from a german language patch, but this one has no effect to the topic.

I will also show you my config, but it doesn't matter which settings I use.
It's directly in the opening level in the Canyon. Maybe it shows you 60 fps, but move around and you should notice massive stuttering.

Attachments

• j3d.jpg
    Filename
    j3d.jpg
    File size
    287.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 23, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need only ddraw.dll and d3dimm.dll from dgVoodoo for this game. Glide, d3drm and the compiler_47 dlls are superfluous.

Or, if you want ddraw+d3d9 then leave GOG's ddraw.dll as is and copy dgVoodoo D3D9 into the folder.

Isn't 'passthrough to real DirectX' enabled on the DirectX tab or sg like that?

Reply 11 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the hints! I will try that now.
No, Passthru to real DirectX is not activated.

Here is my config file.
Don't worry about the custom resolution. I used that for a best compromise of widescreen and original aspect ratio (without the picture zoom in and cuts the subtitles).

Maybe you can just test it like my installation and report if you can notice the stuttering then?

Attachments

• Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    15.01 KiB
    Downloads
    108 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I tried everything and the only configuration that worked is GOG's ddraw.dll + D3D9.dll from dgVoodoo2. The config tool even works and all settings are applied to the game. Thanks!

But that does also mean there is definitely something wrong when replacing GOG's ddraw.dll with that one from dgVoodoo2. The game runs only smooth with GOG's ddraw.dll or that one from narzoul I linked in a previous post. Somehow the game does not like ddraw.dll from dgVoodoo2.

FPS counter may show you 60, but make some 360 ° rotations with Indy and you will definitely notice stuttering. With GOG's ddraw.dll everything is so smooth!

But I can live with the solution only use D3D9.dll from dgVoodoo2 for now 😀

Reply 13 of 23, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, tried your config file but saw nothing wrong with that. The game just ran fine with that too for me.
Even your hw ( RTX 2070 ) is top-notch so I couldn't even recommend lowering some settings like 16x aniso filtering or 8x MSAA.

It's really strange, cannot explain at the moment. 😕

Reply 15 of 23, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FPS counter may show you 60, but make some 360 ° rotations with Indy and you will definitely notice stuttering. With GOG's ddraw.dll everything is so smooth!

I tried that and rotating was butter smooth.

BTW, stuttered animation (with potential full FPS) is a symptom with some stuffs. Just try to run (the original) Extreme G-2 or some ThreePixels scene demos after some days elapsed since the OS boot. It's because they use timeGetTime from Winmm.dll for animation calculation which returns the elapsed milliseconds since the OS boot. These stuffs typically convert those values into 32 bit float format and the value loses a lot of its precision if it's too large. A simple reboot solves the problem.

But I don't think this game suffers from the same because then stuttering should come with GOG ddraw dll too.

Reply 16 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I restart my computer every day and also clean the cache 😀

I made two videos. I filmed with my mobile phone camera @ 60fps, because I haven't a recording program. But you can still see the difference very clear:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/oj9ejbj1o0adna … /Videos.7z/file

For some reason my mediafire account shows "0 downloads" for the previous .zip archive containing the altering game files which you said you downloaded. Hmm ...

Reply 17 of 23, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dégé!

I have to contact you again about "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" which does not work correctly using dgVoodoo 2.75.1

1. D3D8.dll & D3DImm.dll in use doesn't affect anything. The game keeps running in standard configuration.

2. D3D9.dll in use works, but imperfect. The window behavior get always broken after the player change a level or dies. Then the game continue in a very small window on the top left border. And in general the game always lose focus when a new menu box opens.

3. DDraw.dll from dgVoodoo 2.75.1 doesn't even let the game start.

Please can you fix dgVoodoo for this game?
Play with the GOG version. Locate dgVoodoo2 files into game directory\Resource.

Thank you so much.

Reply 19 of 23, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I can't see any difference in behavior between 2.75.1 and earlier versions.
The game starts and works with ddraw.dll + d3dimm.dll. D3DImm.dll is needed, not just ddraw.dll.

Fun fact: the GOG version runs at ~45fps for me. I don't know why, but the main thread spends a lot of time in Sleep.
The original version runs fine.

So, other than that, I can't see any problems here.