VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im trying to install Windows 98se on a PC that has a Core 2 Duo E6850 3HGz CPU and 4 Gigabytes of DDR2 ram with a IDE DVD drive and a Sata 250GB HDD with a 40GB primary partition formatted as Fat32, it will be a dual boot of 98se and XP when I get 98se on first but for now after the install of 98se and the first reboot I choose the HDD as the boot up option but I get an error of

"insufficient memory to initialize Windows"

"Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your config.sys and autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer. press any key to continue."

When I press any key it shuts down, I have plenty of ram why is this happening?

Reply 1 of 14, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heya, without reinventing the wheel, please use this resource to understand how Win9x operate with more than 512mb ram.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to-da … than-1-gib-ram/

In short, systems with more than 512mb ram and win9x will have problems. There are solutions, many of them. I personally recommend the rloews patch, which can be bought here: http://rloew.x10host.com/Programs/Patchm.htm

Otherwise, use the first link to test different methods getting win9x stable. Good luck!

Reply 3 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lots of thanks Dottoss but im not in the mood to buy the patch right now and from what I see from the links im not sure even if my 512MB PCIE video card will work but thanks for all the great info.

Reply 5 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Lots of thanks Dottoss but im not in the mood to buy the patch right now and from what I see from the links im not sure even if my 512MB PCIE video card will work but thanks for all the great info.

512MB video cards works with 98SE. The fastest I have been able to get to work with modded drivers is the 7900GTX.

768MB cards such as the 8800GTX are a no-go though unless somebody knows a trick to get them to work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 14, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Hi again, then try this one;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3049 … n-1-5-gb-of-ram

It's the single most effective way to work around the win9x multiple RAM issues but mileage can vary between systems (edit: according my experience). Boot with an bootdisk, edit the system.ini in dos and restart. Good luck!

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-03-22, 18:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 14, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and then if, Maxphyspage=40000 enables you to boot into win98 but software within win98 seem to be unstable or you experiences crashes or strange DirectX/opengl issues, try MaxPhysPage=20000. This will limit win9x to only see 512mb ram. heck, go for maxphyspage=20000 from the start and avoid alot of strange issues.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-03-22, 18:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basics :
You can use 512MB PCI-e GPU on Windows 98 SE (but only if it's alone, dual GPU config will not work if either card has 512MB of VRAM).
You can install over 1GB of RAM but only IF you added before mentioned tweaks to system.ini, and use himemx.

3DMark03 7900 GX2 OC.png
Filename
3DMark03 7900 GX2 OC.png
File size
317.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You will not be able to use over ~1,5GB of RAM if you have NVdia geforce 7800/7900 series card* , because both official and non-official NV drivers simply "give up" with that kind of system memory with Win98 OS (maybe 2GB would be possible with ATI GPU... I'm not sure because I didn't tested it).
Also, himemx/config.sys/system.ini tweaks, will not fix this problem in NV GPUs case.
*did not tested this with 7600/730 series or older 6000 series card

I only manage to bypass this problem with rloew's Win98 RAM patch (mentioned before) : LINK
Here's result :

3DMark 03 7800 GTX.png
Filename
3DMark 03 7800 GTX.png
File size
473.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My experience with Win98 on above Core i7 980X setup : LINK

PS. system.ini tweaks I used :

[386Enh]
MaxPhysPage=48000
MinSPs=16
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
DMABufferSize=64

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=65535
ChunkSize=1024

^Source for above tweaks : LINK

Good luck 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 10 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

I only manage to bypass this problem with rloew's Win98 RAM patch (mentioned before) : LINK

It seems like he has passed away recently as his website is down and also because of this https://kraussfuneralhome.com/tribute/details … w/obituary.html

So nobody can buy his patch anymore.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 14, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

It seems like he has passed away recently as his website is down and also because of this https://kraussfuneralhome.com/tribute/details … w/obituary.html

So nobody can buy his patch anymore.

We have been exchanging e-mails recently and he stopped replying about a month ago so what you are saying is probably true. I did not follow up because I thought he simply lost interest or was busy with other things. I am very sorry to hear about his passing.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 12 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah it's a shame ...

Now, I wonder what will happen to his work. I hope it won't get lost 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 14, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I bought the memory patch from him a few months ago (Version 7.2).

This should be the last version ever released.
I have uploaded it to archive.org so it may be preserved and be useful to this community in the future.

https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 14 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote:
I bought the memory patch from him a few months ago (Version 7.2). […]
Show full quote
Deksor wrote:

I bought the memory patch from him a few months ago (Version 7.2).

This should be the last version ever released.
I have uploaded it to archive.org so it may be preserved and be useful to this community in the future.

https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

Thanks!

Sorry to hear of his passing as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK