VOGONS

First post, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again,

I've a new problem.

I have a Matrox Mistique card - Not the Mistique 220 but the vanillha Mistique.. Chip says 1064sg (1064=Mistique vanillha (not 220 witch is 1164) and SG for SGram, i supposed.)

So i see in the matrox website this drivers - https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/dr … atest/previous/ - 4.12.013.. for mistique..and win95... thers no version for win98...

The problem is... The card is detected by windows98SE and i install de drivers, ask me for reboot, i do so, and after i reboot, it gives me always an error of windows protection error... have to reset, and afeter that or gives me that error every time or enter windows but with no graphic card drivers loaded..

So. What can i do to resolv this error ? Isn't windows98SE drivers avaiable ? are this win95 drivers not compatible with 98SE ?

Is this card a piece of shit and i better forget about it ?

Tank you all.

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 1 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/dr … les/w9x_412.php

"Matrox PowerDesk for Windows 95/98
Revision 4.12.013"

They work without any issues, using them myself with 98se. Maybe your Windows installation has just gone bad.

Reply 2 of 9, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes.. thats the ones i have installed.. severall times... i boot in safe mode, clean the drivers, install them again.. reboot, AND GET THE WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR EVERY TIME.. FUCK..

do i need some kind of winows dot.net framework ? why arent the drivers working, in my socket 7 asus HX board ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 5 of 9, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its a software issue.. to BE more exact, is a driver issue.
I installed a virge graphic card, ati Rage II+ , ati Rage vt4, even a S3 trio64.. no issues of every kind..

I put the mistique , the Windows detects correctly the card, tries to install the drivers. Asks me for the win98 install CD. Its installs it. Reboot...ERROR...

Só with the matrox driver, or the win98 own driver the result os the sabe... Probably a irq conflit.. the bios on my ASUS HX socket 7 is not that evolved.. try to load setup defaults and is the same result..

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 6 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nuno14272 wrote:

I installed a virge graphic card, ati Rage II+ , ati Rage vt4, even a S3 trio64.. no issues of every kind..

Did you deinstall all these drivers and removed the inactive but previous installed graphics cards from the device manager? Otherwise, this can cause all kind of issues, incl. the one you currently have.

Reply 7 of 9, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nuno14272 wrote:

... Probably a irq conflit.. the bios on my ASUS HX socket 7 is not that evolved.. try to load setup defaults and is the same result..

I had used Mystique in the past on 430HX motherboard and it worked fine. Unlike the ATI/S3 around the same period, the Mystique was a more sophisticated display card that required IRQ for proper operation. You may want to isolate the problem by taking out or disabling hardware that post potential IRQ conflicts.

Reply 8 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
nuno14272 wrote:

Did you deinstall all these drivers and removed the inactive but previous installed graphics cards from the device manager? Otherwise, this can cause all kind of issues, incl. the one you currently have.

I have to agree. I'd recommend using DriverCleaner3 (the predecessor of DDU; attached below). It's been an invaluable tool for me for removing GPU drivers under 98SE. It won't get everything but it gets most things.

Attachments

• Filename
    DC3Setup_33.7z
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9 of 9, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nuno14272 wrote:
Its a software issue.. to BE more exact, is a driver issue. I installed a virge graphic card, ati Rage II+ , ati Rage vt4, even […]
Show full quote

Its a software issue.. to BE more exact, is a driver issue.

I put the mistique , the Windows detects correctly the card, tries to install the drivers. Asks me for the win98 install CD. Its installs it. Reboot...ERROR...

Só with the matrox driver, or the win98 own driver the result os the sabe... Probably a irq conflit.. the bios on my ASUS HX socket 7 is not that evolved.. try to load setup defaults and is the same result..

I seem to remember some kind of issue regarding bus mastering and the Mystique cards. I can't remember exactly what, but maybe it's worth googling it.