Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30380 of 52719, by iPonRMA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…
All but the first Octek Fox M works fine (even HDDs). But this motherboard is not beyond repair - boots but reports CMOS error...

Nics PUMA motherboard!
Do you want to trade the S3 for a lot faster Tseng OPTi local bus video card?

Reply 30381 of 52719, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iPonRMA wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…
All but the first Octek Fox M works fine (even HDDs). But this motherboard is not beyond repair - boots but reports CMOS error...

Nics PUMA motherboard!
Do you want to trade the S3 for a lot faster Tseng OPTi local bus video card?

This is not a place for trading/selling/buying.... read the rules.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 30382 of 52719, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys, i think it was a good deal even if it was just the SB Pro 2 and the Yamaha Card 🤣

I believe the card is Genuine. Looks it to me although i'm no expert. Some better photos

RHQ2hFzl.jpg
XxI662Kl.jpg

Reply 30383 of 52719, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

xta.jpg
Filename
xta.jpg
File size
384.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
xtb.jpg
Filename
xtb.jpg
File size
529.22 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30385 of 52719, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:

Won an auction last week for a bunch of "Vintage Computer Cards" which i was the winning bidder of £47. Only wanted it for 3 particular cards which were these

Happy to finally add an original Adlib card to the collection! The SB Pro 2 and Yamaha Waveforce were also nice cards too 🤣

Good to know that lot went to someone on here 😀 I only bid £42.

Oh well, I found some cool ISA things instead - a VGA card and a CGA card which works! over composite, sort of? Lemmings displays in black & white instead of cyan & pink. I was surprised how well my 386DX 40 board behaved with CGA video output, the BIOS has options for it.
This weird Yamaha V6355 CGA card is interesting because I haven't seen anything CGA since my dad got the Sinclair PC200. I'm tempted to get hold of a CGA to VGA converter setup, but that's pretty costly just for the novelty of seeing the 4 colour display.

big-isa-time.jpg
Filename
big-isa-time.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license

And a very big SBC which should be a Core 2 Duo G41 board with an ISA bridge chip. I've yet to test this one but it was a bit of an impulse buy, I wanted a quick ISA board and the seller accepted my low offer price.

Reply 30386 of 52719, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On Saturday I was at someone's house when I found this interesting little calculator in their basement.

1569281405.th.94562.JPG

It seems to be a calculator from the tech company Sharp.

When I told the guys about this thing, I asked if I could take it, and they just said "Sure, take it. We don't use it anyway."

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 30387 of 52719, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this Power Macintosh G3 last week for $100. Inside is a G3 350MHz, 320MB RAM, 6.4GB Maxtor. ATI Rage 128, and a DVD-ROM drive. When I fired it up it had MacOS X 10.3.9 installed, but I wiped the drive and installed MacOS 9.2.1, and then "upgraded" to MacOS X 10.2. I was not and still not a Mac fan, but I have grown rather fond of this case design, and do like the earlier MacOS X operating system. 🤣

Attachments

Reply 30389 of 52719, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JonathonWyble wrote:
On Saturday I was at someone's house when I found this interesting little calculator in their basement. […]
Show full quote

On Saturday I was at someone's house when I found this interesting little calculator in their basement.

1569281405.th.94562.JPG

It seems to be a calculator from the tech company Sharp.

When I told the guys about this thing, I asked if I could take it, and they just said "Sure, take it. We don't use it anyway."

wait what? I don't know if I should feel old for using a calculator or i'm being trolled here.

Reply 30390 of 52719, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

xta.jpg
xtb.jpg

I think I have one of those systems, give me a shout if you need the BIOS.

1982 to 2001

Reply 30391 of 52719, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a set of Virtual IO i-Glasses w/ PC output box and head tracker 😁 Wires are damaged on the PC output box, but I have another one in good condition.

YyEvh7oh.png

lwewKmph.png

HcJK11wh.png

Dell Dimension 8250 Motherboard (socket 478 / RAMBUS-1066 support)

eaOKkPjh.jpg

Masscool Socket 478 cooler

ThYzfI4h.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 30392 of 52719, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is from the latest weeks.
Still a few things not on picture since they are untested: Olivetti M240 + EGA screen (gives no image so I will need to have it checked out), AST Advantage Explorer 486DX4 (untested and without adapter so I need to find a suitable one), Inspiron 9100.

nfUZBUKl.jpg

Manual is missing 🙁

kItrTOAl.jpg
vzzNZZnl.jpg

f4pAZdHl.jpg
v6CZ6qKl.jpg?1

This was very dirty but cleaned up very well. Mechanical I believe

vUOCL7Ml.jpg

XpzMwv3l.jpg

I went to buy an Alienware Aurora ALX. It turned out the parents were selling the hardware from their son that died last year. He died pretty young I believe (in his thirties?). The mother had a hard time selling this hardware but I assured them, I would take care of it and not resell it for more money.
Suddenly, she asked me if I was interested in 2 old laptops too. It turned out to be a maxed out M1710 including all original CD's and a P4 laptop.
I took the M1710 and left the P4 there. At home I found out that The Inspiron 9100 was quite a beast so I sent a message that I would come and pick it up too the next day.
This also came with all the original CD's.
I also helped them with identifying various bits and pieces they could sell like cables, stock cooler etc....
Their son had a really good taste for gaming hardware!

abjGWqBl.jpg?1

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 30393 of 52719, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:
I went to buy an Alienware Aurora ALX. It turned out the parents were selling the hardware from their son that died last year. H […]
Show full quote

I went to buy an Alienware Aurora ALX. It turned out the parents were selling the hardware from their son that died last year. He died pretty young I believe (in his thirties?). The mother had a hard time selling this hardware but I assured them, I would take care of it and not resell it for more money.
Suddenly, she asked me if I was interested in 2 old laptops too. It turned out to be a maxed out M1710 including all original CD's and a P4 laptop.
I took the M1710 and left the P4 there. At home I found out that The Inspiron 9100 was quite a beast so I sent a message that I would come and pick it up too the next day.
This also came with all the original CD's.
I also helped them with identifying various bits and pieces they could sell like cables, stock cooler etc....
Their son had a really good taste for gaming hardware!

It's a sad story. 😢 Good that you helped them at least a bit by saying what they could sell and promising to take care of their son's computers.

Reply 30394 of 52719, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. Even though I got the items pretty cheap, I kinda felt bad. But my budget is very limited.
The mother was happy that I would totally clean,repaste and restore them 😀

Even though these bits were not worth much, they would sell them on the flea market. Otherwise they would turn up in a bin.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 30395 of 52719, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There used to be a store down the road from me called "Bargain Video & Tack"

Run by a sweet old lady. Video sale / rental, leather work (belts, vests, boots, you name it), and there was a computer repair shop in the back. Wonderful place.
Lady, a Mrs Palmer, was in her 70s and her husband had run the computer repair section in the 80s 90s and early 00s. When he died, she didn't know what to do with any of it.

I used to go in there with $30 cash and walk out with a huge pile of computers. IBM, Apple, Gateway 2000, Dell, HP, Packard Bell, AST, everything. Hundreds of expansion cards, in-box Pentium II Xeons, just an amazing amount of stuff. The building was rotting around all this stuff, unfortunately, and she retired in 2014 and donated the rest of it to a church, who promptly recycled 100% of it the next day.

I miss that place, it's where I got my introduction to vintage computers.

Reply 30396 of 52719, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Traded 2 sticks of DDR2 2GB laptop RAM for this IBM NetVista Type 6341-77G. It is a socket 370 computer, but sadly no ISA slots. However it works, but PSU fan needs replacing, for it doesn't spin at all. Since I have ran out of space for storaging vintage computers, I'll have to place it in the basement. So I've removed the hard drive to keep it with other hard drives in a room temperature.

Attachments

• IMG_8563.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8563.JPG
    File size
    360.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8561.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8561.JPG
    File size
    583.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30397 of 52719, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

xta.jpg
xtb.jpg

I think I have one of those systems, give me a shout if you need the BIOS.

Thanks, I would be really happy about this!!! I will let you know when I am ready to test...

Reply 30398 of 52719, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally receive some new stuff, mainly for my upcoming Socket A build.

K7S41GX.jpg
Geode.jpg
AXP2400+.jpg
Gotek.jpg

And also, I couldn't resist to go for HP T5720, since it was going for really low price... Unfortunately, it's not 100% functional, power button isn't working, but I'm pretty confident, that I would be able to repair it.

T5720.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 30399 of 52719, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really sure what i've got, but it seemed at first like some telephone managment\server card.
After googling it, it seems to be a RS232 serial multiplexer card.

So is it like a multiple serial port card?

IMG_20190924_231602.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190924_231602.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20190924_231549.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190924_231549.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license

Also if someone has drivers for this, it would be interesting to try it out.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!