VOGONS

Very compact retro PCs?

Topic actions

First post, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are the options for very compact retro PCs? Obviously there are tons of old laptops out there, but they don't have any true ISA or PCI expansion slots. There are the very small and highly-integrated Unisys CWD4001, CWD4002 / Leo Data Book 486-DBA, CWD5001, and CWP5002 computers. Was Unisys the only company making desktop computers this small?

Eventually, Mini-ITX boards start appearing with VIA processors on them and a single PCI slot. What about before that?

Reply 1 of 43, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I doubt Unisys was the only company making them, but they seem to be the only ones I can find.

If you don't have the space for a PC and CRT monitor, there are also all-in-ones such as the Compaq Presario 425. They combine a great quality 14" SVGA monitor with a 486 PC (with ODP socket) and don't take up much more space than a CRT monitor by itself. If you can find one, they're worth checking out.

I believe some laptops had docking stations with ISA/PCI slots in them. I don't remember the exact models off the top of my head though.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 3 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember FlyTech. They focus on POS systems so it shouldn't come as a surprise they also made some crazy small systems. The Carry-I even has its own Wikipedia article. There are different versions to this system starting with an 8088 that aren't mentioned in the article though.
They also had a "Booksize" line of which I attatched a very small (how fitting 🤣 ) picture. The bottom unit in the stack is the PC itself with FDD and HDD, above it is an expansion unit with I believe to be a tape drive and on top a CD drive unit.
If you google FlyTech QP-4501-133 you can find some old P133 machines of theirs right now but I think they're well overpriced. 😵

Attachments

• flytech booksize.jpg
    Filename
    flytech booksize.jpg
    File size
    10.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some Unisys CWD5001-ZA on eBay right now. Seller has 12 left. Not my thing but interesting none the less.

As for other systems, I actually have one that has a monochrome screen built it. It is more of a panel PC style, but it was originally sold as a MIDI file display. I haven't messed with it really but would like to swap out the monochrome LCD for a color one. I don't remember if it has any expansion slots though. I would need to take it apart again to see what the motherboard has on it.

There is always the option to go with a single board computer and a backplane with a small number of slots. You can get anything from I guess 286 - pretty current hardware with an industrial setup like this.
Oldest I have is a 386.. I think. I may even have a 286.

Most interesting ones I have are:
486 with ISA and PCI
Socket 478 Pentium 4 with AGP/PCI/ISA (no real small backplanes with ISA though).

There are also some thin clients hat have a PCI slot available. Those are even smaller than the UNISYS systems.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 43, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

There are also some thin clients hat have a PCI slot available. Those are even smaller than the UNISYS systems.

This. If the target is Windows OS, check out those. Some have one PCI slot but you're not getting many more from a very compact PC either, so it is an option.

Reply 6 of 43, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My most compact computer is a PC104 based "machine" :
PC104formatting.jpg
133MHz 5x86, 32MB RAM, only problem is ISA video only which will limit performance quite a bit.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 43, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this ESCOM computer. Pretty capable little thing.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 9 of 43, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also if you want true PC that is very compact, yet quite powerful at the same time - I would direct you to industrial PC boards like these - they still have ISA or PCI bus which with some creativity can be used to add a sound card for example...
With DOM or CF adapter, some small ISA backplane and a sound card and 3d printed enclosure you can have a network capable, retro gaming PC that fits in your pocket (it would need external power supply of course)

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 43, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote:

It doesn't look very compact to me. 🤣

I can make it fit in a shoebox if I have to 🤣. Biggest part will be the ISA cards, but if you're rich you can get PC104 video card and other peripherals and get a thing that fits completely in one cube decimeter volume 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 43, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My experience with the embedded boards and single board computers is that they are quite expensive, even when obsolete. In my mind, the small size of the industrial boards does not outweigh the increased hassle and high cost.

Reply 12 of 43, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am impressed that even your keyboard, in that picture, is moaning "killll meeeee". 🤣

I really love the form-factor of those Unises, but I have found it utterly frustrating trying to do anything useful with mine (5001). Runs hot, only one IDE channel (no CD-ROM), the slot is too small to fit most cards, the PSU is weak... Nothing you couldn't solve by stripping out all of the guts and replacing it with a modern enthusiast-designed motherboard. Anybody working on a DIY Pentium MMX board?

Reply 13 of 43, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amstrad had a quite small form factor 286 and 386sx model. Quality was crap though. With ctrs are damn heavy, I've got two. HP had some nice small form factor models, earlier than that DECpcs and my Zenith 286 from 1990 is fairly compact. Being compact does mean drive bay space is limited and need to resort to using the parallel port for extra functionality.

20190821_141027.jpg
Filename
20190821_141027.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

But thats come part n parcel wrt owning older stuff. The Compaq Prolinia slim lines are nice set ups as well.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-09-25, 21:01. Edited 2 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 43, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For classic DOS, I think a K6-2 based laptop with with integrated ESS audio and S3 graphics are really tough to beat.

I think the problem with not having accessible expansion on laptops really boils down to retro enthusiasts trying to cover multiple eras with the same machine. You can certainly find laptops that suite each era of gaming, if you are willing to make some pretty reasonable sacrifices in regards to performance and niche features (like glide support, or EAX).

Reply 15 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surfstation.. Built-in SB16/OPL3, VBE graphics, S-Video&CVBS out, ISA/PCI.
Wireless "controllers" included for free. 😉

Attachments

• surf1.jpg
    Filename
    surf1.jpg
    File size
    78.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • surf2.jpg
    Filename
    surf2.jpg
    File size
    31.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 43, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

What games is on the second pic?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 17 of 43, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seeing how someone brought up small form factor Amstrad machine here is a picture of my 4386SX complete with its little 10" CRT.

It might be small but it makes one hell of a racket, damn thing can almost drown out the hoover on a good day.

complete-system.jpg
Filename
complete-system.jpg
File size
202.23 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MKT_Gundam wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

What games is on the second pic?

Marble Cooking.
This makes my 100th post the name of a Hentai game. 🤣