VOGONS

First post, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I grabbed Zool2 and started playing,

So after 3 minutes of getting slaughtered by cuddly creatures I dove into a trainer archive and found a bunch of trainers. However: 'none of them seem to work' in dosbox. Can anyone shed a light on this ?

Thanks

trainer package below:

Attachments

• Filename
    z2tr_pkg.zip
    File size
    58.76 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And to know I could have thought that up myself, but didnt 😁 (thanks)

But I still want to know why these trainers dont work, and if this is something dosbox related. Might affect other games too.

Reply 3 of 7, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right I think I found it: 😁

So, there is thing called a scene-release, which is the first 100% cracked release of a game.
Most trainers are bound to this release unless otherwise stated. All scene groups follow these rules.
Its a bit like the 'pirate code' from that pirates of the Caribbean movie.
The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.

So if you have a different version, there is a big chance most trainers WONT work.
And I can say for a 100% that my game is NOT a scene release. 😒

I think I solved this, but I am not really sure, any thoughts ?

Reply 4 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the CD-ROM version of this game but can't get it to run in DOSBox. The screen just goes black when I run ZOOL2.EXE. Does anyone know if the game is compatible?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 7, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hooray, I found the solution. So here goes:

There is a 100% fully functional beta release by the scene and most of the trainers were written for that version. It can be identified it by: ZOOL2.DAT 1325150 bytes, timestamp: may 24 1994 . These trainers work:

1. DODZ2T+4.EXE
  2. DRD-Z2TRN.COM
  3. LGNDZ2TR.EXE
  4. NW-Z2TR.EXE
  5. TRSIZ2TR.EXE

The retail release can be identified by: ZOOL2.DAT 1326654 bytes, timestamp jun 28 1994. This trainer works:

1. PTG-Z2TR.EXE (I needed this one, and should have pressed 0-9 to activate, ha!)

Problem solved!