VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30580 of 52687, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I found it on eBay for about the price that just the boards by themselves normally go for with 0 RAM.

I think I saw some AST boards on there as well. Does the AST you have need a special RAM board or is it just a standard ISA one?

No, it's a normal ISA card. It's an AST Advantage 128 card, has 2 serial ports, a joystick port, and a parallel port along with the 1.5MB RAM on the card.

Supposedly, AST sold a daughtercard (like the BocaRAM AT there) that allowed you to install an additional 1.5MB to get a total of 3MB on one board. I've never been able to track one down.

Reply 30581 of 52687, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this MSI GeForce NX8800GTS 640MB card for my Pentium M build. A bit overkill, as I intended to go for a more time appropriate 7000 series card, but 8000 series cards were more available and cheaper, and I figured a bit more GPU grunt will really allow me to push the Pentium M to its limits.

Image removed for copyright reasons.

Last edited by Daniël Oosterhuis on 2020-01-21, 10:13. Edited 1 time in total.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 30582 of 52687, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All these people getting such great stuff locally!

The oldest machine I have ever seen for sale locally was a 486DX2/66. Unbranded case, and the battery had exploded. It is also the only 486 machine I have seen locally.

Everything at our thrift stores and recycling yards is really late 90s and early 2000s. You want Pentiums? S, MMX, II, III, 4, 4HT, D? I've got you covered. Need anything even slightly older? Good luck with that. It's been a while since I've even seen an ISA card that wasn't a modem in one of those machines.

Reply 30583 of 52687, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote:

A bit overkill, as I intended to go for a more time appropriate 7000 series card]

I've got an XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB AGP laying around somewhere I wouldn't be opposed to selling if you'd like. It used to be in my Pentium 4 build, but I'm parting out a lot of stuff to make room for more PC/XT/AT era stuff lately.

Reply 30584 of 52687, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote:

A bit overkill, as I intended to go for a more time appropriate 7000 series card]

I've got an XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB AGP laying around somewhere I wouldn't be opposed to selling if you'd like. It used to be in my Pentium 4 build, but I'm parting out a lot of stuff to make room for more PC/XT/AT era stuff lately.

Thanks for the offer, but the board in question has PCIe, not AGP.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 30586 of 52687, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a bit ashamed to be posting this here but it's hardware after all 😀
P9X79 with a (yet) unknown i7. In a big Corsair tower (Obsidian 550D), with an FSP650-80EGN. I'm quite happy with it, and I have not even turned it on yet 😁

Last edited by elod on 2019-10-05, 18:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30587 of 52687, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Damn, where are those flea markets you guys can visit and get stuff from!?
I went through 5 different goodwill-like places in my home town, and they are only selling clothes and shoes...

You need to go to computer recycle centers.

I've contacted many electronic waste recyclers - they don't allow anyone to come and investigate their stuff. They just want to silently do their job by recycling everything on their own.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 30588 of 52687, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote:

Those cards go for a mint on eBay.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30589 of 52687, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

All these people getting such great stuff locally!

You're from USA, you don't get to complain! You have 48 local states + possibly Canada. I don't get a scrap in my small country outside of EU 🙁

Reply 30590 of 52687, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You say that like our upgrade treadmill is somehow less violent towards vintage electronics.

I have 48 local states + Canada, but I'm not about to drive 800 miles for a video card. When I say local, I mean within the county, which is at most 30 miles.

Reply 30591 of 52687, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Really? What kind of a mint are we talking about?

Card works, it's got the XFX stickers and it's got green LEDs in it. If it's actually worth something, I'd love to get rid of it. My X1300 is more than powerful enough, honestly.

Reply 30592 of 52687, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought 512MB and 4GB compact flash for the pentium as dos use, already had adapters bought years ago.

Got Intel 320 series 120GB and three Intel 710 series 100GB for the PIII stuff. I already got two Startech PATA to SATA bridges.

Also Compaq sound card ES1868, and Creative CT2260. Play with it and see if I can learn where noise gets in, then try experiments to clean noise up.

Pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 30593 of 52687, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Card works, it's got the XFX stickers and it's got green LEDs in it. If it's actually worth something, I'd love to get rid of it. My X1300 is more than powerful enough, honestly.

Do a search on ebay for:
7950gt AGP

And then look at the sold items.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30594 of 52687, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Do a search on ebay for: 7950gt AGP […]
Show full quote
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Do a search on ebay for:
7950gt AGP

And then look at the sold items.

$322! 😲

Reply 30595 of 52687, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah... I didn't pay anything near that for mine though. Pretty sure I got mine for less than $50 but that was quite a while ago.

The 7950GT is the fastest AGP card that nVidia released and it is quite hard to find.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-10-06, 01:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30596 of 52687, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WOW nice, I got this for free!

You bet your ass this will be up on eBay in a few hours / days!

I'd be happy with about $100 + shipping but hell I won't turn down anything like that!

Reply 30597 of 52687, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

The 7950GT is the fastest AGP card that nVidia released and it is quite hard to find.

Meanwhile, the fastest AGP card period is a good few generations newer, performs significantly better in all games, and goes for $30-60 all day long. It just doesn't have the "N" magic green pixie dust all over it...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30599 of 52687, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Meanwhile, the fastest AGP card period is a good few generations newer, performs significantly better in all games, and goes for $30-60 all day long. It just doesn't have the "N" magic green pixie dust all over it...

Heh.. have you seen the prices lately though? $30-$60 is now a pipe dream.

Good thing I accidentally ended up with 5 or 6 of them.

Thing is, it also doesn't work in Win9x while the 7950GT should.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK