VOGONS

First post, by spacedrone808

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've managed to build following system:
AMD Threadripper 1950x/Noctua u14s/Asrock x399m/64gb Corsair 2666Mhz/512gb Samsung 970 pro nvme/2 tb seagate firecuda with ssd cache/16gb vega vii/asus essense stx ii/fractal case/nec pa301w/topre keys

Any suggestions to improve build?

Last edited by spacedrone808 on 2019-08-11, 06:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Obsolete Projects: https://trackerninja.codeberg.page

Reply 1 of 43, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

to me is way overkill for a windows 7 build, and no, that's not retro

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 43, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats to build. But man, honestly, I hesitate to call my Core2 era build "retro" and I rather writing it with quotes, because even that is pushing it in my eyes. But to call retro 2 years old platform with still supported system, yeah, that's whole another level...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 3 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's only retro if it can't run modern software. What you have built is a beast of a modern system that happens to be running Windows 7, which is still a mature modern 64-bit OS.

If the only limitations of Win7 are artificially imposed (as will soon happen), then it's definitely not retro. Just unsupported.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me, a core 2 system can be retro if you are running windows XP on it and it's hardware is geared to run this software well. Of course, core 2 is really at the edge of what I call retro in terms of hardware, it has only just gone over the hill in terms of capacity from being current to near retro.

Anything running windows 7, can also run windows 10, it isn't really retro. Hell, Microsoft still officially supports windows 7, it is still current.

Reply 6 of 43, by spacedrone808

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

C2D on Windows XP is definitely a retro thing.
But Windows 7 in couple of years become retro for sure.

Reply 7 of 43, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 7 is still in use in many places. Retro means that something is in use again (after a substantial period of no use), it's in demand again and people have memories about something. Your pc doesn't classify as that.

Reply 10 of 43, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as Nvidia and AMD will support Windows 7 with drivers - you won't be able to build "max. configuration".
Even for Windows XP, EVGA's Z390 Dark is capable of running it (using special BIOS).
Hard limit for XP came in form of internet browsers, maximum RAM (mainly 32-bit OS = ~3,5GB limit), lack of GPU drivers (Maxwell 2.0 or HD 7970) and games going moving to DX10/DX11 only.

Windows 7 doesn't have this limits for now (drivers are being made, it's 64-bit by default, games still support it). It will be quite A LOT of time, before Win7 becomes retro OS.

157143230295.png

Reply 11 of 43, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

It's only retro if it can't run modern software.

I think it's the other way round. I.e. If modern systems can't run it or games from it's era then it's retro.

Win 7 will likely run fine on almost any modern hardware, and games from 2007 onwards are likely to run just fine too.

Cannot say the same about XP or games from 2002 generally.

Reply 12 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How is this retro? This is basically brand new stuff 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 43, by spacedrone808

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not h/w of course, i mean OS.
But i agree with above statements that it is not retro yet, it's just ageing.

Reply 14 of 43, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any new games that won't run on Windows 7? I'm having trouble thinking of any titles that are DX12 only. There are probably some exclusive games on Microsoft's App Store which (last I heard) isn't directly accessible on Windows 7, but I don't think any gamer gives those serious consideration.

Anyway that's why I find it hard consider Win7 retro, because everything from that era pretty much still runs fine on Win10/modern hardware and conversely the Windows 7 user really is not missing anything from a modern gaming experience.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 15 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote:
I think it's the other way round. I.e. If modern systems can't run it or games from it's era then it's retro. […]
Show full quote
keenmaster486 wrote:

It's only retro if it can't run modern software.

I think it's the other way round. I.e. If modern systems can't run it or games from it's era then it's retro.

Win 7 will likely run fine on almost any modern hardware, and games from 2007 onwards are likely to run just fine too.

Cannot say the same about XP or games from 2002 generally.

Afaik, "retro" means "looking backwards" or "backwards turned", which includes everything that mimics something that's older or cult.
"Vintage" or "classic" is the real old stuff. A modern PC running DOS can be retro, but not "vintage" (well, not yet).
Clone consoles do fit into both categories sometimes, I guess.
if they are new, but do contain compatible/replica hardware almost 1:1 in function (SoCs etc), they are both retro and "classic".
Emulator boxes (Nintendo Classic, Firecore etc) are just retro, on the other hand.
Anyway, it's all a matter of point of view. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 43, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I personally think the term "retro"is over used. I do not consider my XT Turbo, 286, 386, 486s and P1 era stuff or my various Acorn systems "retro". Old yes. Of the era yes. I can still do today with them the same things I did back when they were new and "current" plus more given that parts are usually a hell of a lot cheaper now then they were back then. It's good that some folk see the value(I don't mean monitory) to keep these systems alive, even if it is for just gaming.

Soldier on..... 😀

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 17 of 43, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Windows 7 is still supported until January.

Which year?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19 of 43, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Windows 7 is still supported until January.

So is Vista! (for security purposes only)

BRB, going to build my retro Ice Lake build with the unsupported Win10 version 1607.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys