Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30660 of 52670, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
silentw wrote:
I have similar board from scrappers and this Philips P3120, in attachment bios. […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

The attachment xta.jpg is no longer available
The attachment xtb.jpg is no longer available

I think I have one of those systems, give me a shout if you need the BIOS.

Thanks, I would be really happy about this!!! I will let you know when I am ready to test...

Received my XT-Boards today. All was packed in a box without any protection (together with some harddisks and a complete 286-PC - photos later). Strange, all are missing the RAMs and several other components. I already picked one which seems to be complete except the RAM, populated with a 8088, CGA and Supersoft-ROM and it seems to be running (except the RAM of course...). I will keep only 1-2 of these boards...
So Cyrix200+, I would be very happy about a ROM-image. Think I need it to use the 8-bit IDE and floppy interface.

The attachment IMG_5333.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_5334.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_5336.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_5337.JPG is no longer available

I have similar board from scrappers and this Philips P3120, in attachment bios.

The attachment PhlipsXT.JPG is no longer available
The attachment Philips_P3120.zip is no longer available

Detects only 256 of 512kb - but works! Many thanks for this!!! 😎 There is the string "P3105 BIOS" in it. The parity RAMs are also missing on your board, dont seem to be important.

What is rather surprising to me: Your ROM is also 32kb - and after booting and checking with debug.exe it is fully visible starting at F000:8000..! How does this work on an XT? When booting with another (2 kb) ROM the are before F000:E000 is completely ignored even if there is data on the EEPROM...

IMG_5564.JPG
Filename
IMG_5564.JPG
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This BIOS brought to you by the efforts of the
Workstation Architecture and System Software Group
Philips Electronics Ltd. Montreal. Canada
Software: Eric Anderson - to Martha Reade 09/24/88
Claude Roy - Stress Will Kill You!
Leo Pon - Call Me 4H
Jean-Claude de Blois - La pens‚e domine la matiŠre
Compatability: Nikos Katinakis - Save Early Save Often
Palma Pierantozzi - Dont Worry, Be Happy
Group Leader: Dino Mastroguiseppe - This week beardless
The Boss : Ray Dunn - Have a braw day!
UUCP address: ray@philmtl.philips.xx

EDIT: Now detects 640 kb 😀 Also working at 10 MHz now, this was not possible with the other ROMs. Thanks again silentw, think this BIOS is needed to get full use of the board

Reply 30661 of 52670, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Horun wrote:

NV20 is a Geforce 3. Probably a Geforce Ti-200 based on the fan and heatsink size. I see a part/board number in top right but can't make it out, can you take take a better "non angled" picture ?

It could be either a Ti 200 or a Vanilla GF3. It's a Dell OEM card, built by creative.

Just got around to testing it. It is a vanilla, 200 MHz core with extremely underclocked RAM (WAY less than a ti200).

Last edited by Zero_sugar on 2019-10-10, 01:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30662 of 52670, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Also, the monitor is all clean now, but the power button does nothing. The monitor shows absolutely no signs of life, so I'm going to pop the cover on it tonight and see what's going on. It seems that moving the motherboard from the original case also killed it - It just makes one long beep now. How wonderful, two things to diagnose!

If it beeps - it lives. That's my motto. 😉

At least it tries to communicate something, 8253/8254 timer is working and perhaps BIOS too - time for some Landmark Diagnostics (although this CRT would really come in handy because you need MDA/Herc/CGA for it).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30663 of 52670, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Also, the monitor is all clean now, but the power button does nothing. The monitor shows absolutely no signs of life, so I'm going to pop the cover on it tonight and see what's going on. It seems that moving the motherboard from the original case also killed it - It just makes one long beep now. How wonderful, two things to diagnose!

At least it tries to communicate something, 8253/8254 timer is working and perhaps BIOS too - time for some Landmark Diagnostics (although this CRT would really come in handy because you need MDA/Herc/CGA for it).

Yeah, I don't have any BIOS diagnostics. My repairs are a bit more simplistic than that - Remove and reinsert every socketed IC. Simplify the configuration until it boots.

I get the feeling it's either the RAM or the 8087-2 that I added. It's got 640K onboard now, and even though the chips were good, I may have damaged them. I'll try reseating them and I'll try removing the 8087-2 as well.

Reply 30664 of 52670, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dell.jpg
Filename
dell.jpg
File size
198.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I actually skipped this, but I was tempted as these old Dell's don't show up that often. It was 1€ and had (I presume) an SB 128 in it.

Reply 30665 of 52670, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
HanJammer wrote:
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Yeah, I don't have any BIOS diagnostics. My repairs are a bit more simplistic than that - Remove and reinsert every socketed IC. Simplify the configuration until it boots.

I get the feeling it's either the RAM or the 8087-2 that I added. It's got 640K onboard now, and even though the chips were good, I may have damaged them. I'll try reseating them and I'll try removing the 8087-2 as well.

If it's RAM - then try swapping chips from bank 0 to bank 1 and vice versa - a single failed chip in the bank 0 and XTs won't boot.

You can also search for my TurboXT thread where deunan helped alot with pinpointing a problem which resulted in successful repair (motherboard was beeping and wouldn't boot, but those beeps were a bit 'hellish') - in my case it was one of the bank 0 chips and 8253 timer. Although without landmark it would be really hard to find. Lately friend of mine (who is at vogons too) was able to repair his XT motherboard using landmark diagnostics as well...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30666 of 52670, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw this at the thrift, at €45 I couldn't resist a boxed C64. At home, at first appearance (running on a improved PSU of course) it seemed fine. Sadly, playing some SID tunes started to make it clear that the SID is dying. It plays the music with all voices, but one voice won't correctly hit all notes, and often goes off-tune. This is a weird issue some dying SID chips exhibit. Swapping the SID into a known good C64 showed it was the chip itself and not the system.

I guess I'll have to look into SID replacements, or find the dead C64 in my house that went missing close to a decade ago. No one at my house knows anything about it, and I stuffed it in the back of my closet back in 2009/2008. It's not there anymore, and I'd have known it if I threw it out... It bothers me because it could have a good SID I could swap in.

But, I suppose I have an excuse to check out SID replacements like the SwinSIDs and ARMSIDs now.

Images removed for copyright reasons.

Last edited by Daniël Oosterhuis on 2020-01-21, 10:13. Edited 1 time in total.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 30667 of 52670, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote:

I actually skipped this, but I was tempted as these old Dell's don't show up that often. It was 1€ and had (I presume) an SB 128 in it.

Are these actually uncommon? I see these all the time, it's really a race between these old Dell Dimensions / Optiplexes, the Pentium 4 Dell Dimension / Optiplexes, and Compaq Deskpro machines.

Reply 30668 of 52670, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

If it's RAM - then try swapping chips from bank 0 to bank 1 and vice versa - a single failed chip in the bank 0 and XTs won't boot.

You can also search for my TurboXT thread where deunan helped alot with pinpointing a problem which resulted in successful repair (motherboard was beeping and wouldn't boot, but those beeps were a bit 'hellish') - in my case it was one of the bank 0 chips and 8253 timer. Although without landmark it would be really hard to find. Lately friend of mine (who is at vogons too) was able to repair his XT motherboard using landmark diagnostics as well...

I don't have any ROM diagnostics, nor any EPROMs or a writer. I can barely justify spending the $50 an MDA monitor cost.

I don't think it's the same Turbo XT - This is a DTK Turbo 640, which I have the instruction manuals and electrical diagrams for on minuszerodegrees.

When I power the machine on, it makes one long beep that does not stop unless I turn the machine off. It's at one exact pitch and never changes. One time, I held the reset button down and it changed to a higher pitch when I released it, but when I pressed it again it went back to normal.

I'll try swapping RAM chips around, but I can't see why they would be bad, they just came out of the AST Advantage! 128 in my 286, where they were working fine under Windows 3.1

I'm thinking it might be bad contact.

Reply 30669 of 52670, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote:

Sadly, playing some SID tunes started to make it clear that the SID is dying. It plays the music with all voices, but one voice won't correctly hit all notes, and often goes off-tune. This is a weird issue some dying SID chips exhibit.

Have one C64 with exactly the same issue. The SID passes all 15 tests of the SIDTest, but once all voices are use at the same time, one voice either plays wrongly or nothing at all. But it's not even in all games, independent of the music's complexity. I wanted to swap the SID with a good one, only to find out that this board has not a single chip sitting in a socket. Everything is soldered, so I called it a day and use that C64 mainly for testing now.

Anyway, got one of these today:

Vintage-Advanced-Gravis-Joystick-PC-15-Pin-Computer-Joystick.jpg

Seems like I'm now collecting Gravis PC input devices, as that is my 4th one. 😁

Reply 30670 of 52670, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I wanted to swap the SID with a good one, only to find out that this board has not a single chip sitting in a socket. Everything is soldered, so I called it a day and use that C64 mainly for testing now.

I've been fairly lucky on this, all three C64s that I have are mostly socketed. No idea on that missing dead C64, but I did just get a desoldering station (ZD-915) in today, so I have the equipment to deal with a non-socketed board. Just need some practice, but I've been doing some desoldering on scrap boards, so far managed to grab two Z80 CPUs, a V9938 MSX VDC, and two SCART jacks, without damaging them (...at least not too much 🤣 ).

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 30671 of 52670, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny thing is that it's an assy 250407. I own a second C64 with the same assy and that one has every chip socketed from factory. Wonder why they apparenly did that so arbitrarily.

Desoldering wouldn't be a problem, but it means removing the board, ordering a socket, etc. If you have a couple of C64's, it's not the most important thing to do.

Reply 30672 of 52670, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got my 4GB IDE DOM and 512MB DDR400 SO-DIMM.

T5720_4GB_DOM_512MB_DDR400.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 30673 of 52670, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

[...]this board has not a single chip sitting in a socket. Everything is soldered, so I called it a day and use that C64 mainly for testing now.

That doesn't surprise me at all, knowing Commodore's history of cutting corners on everything that they could on home computers 😦 I wonder what kind of other unneeded cost-saving measure they took

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 30675 of 52670, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pinkdonut666 wrote:

Pickup up this early 386 AT clone 😀

Looks good! Did it come with all these expansion cards installed or did you add them? A bit unusual to see all 8 slots filled 😲 and with no less than 5 full-length cards to boot! 🤣

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 30676 of 52670, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
pinkdonut666 wrote:

Looks good! Did it come with all these expansion cards installed or did you add them? A bit unusual to see all 8 slots filled 😲 and with no less than 5 full-length cards to boot! 🤣

that's exactly how I got it! I've since removed a few cards. bonus points if you can identify the sound card 😉

6xp5GCLl.jpg

my life runs on X86

Reply 30677 of 52670, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pinkdonut666 wrote:
Pickup up this early 386 AT clone :) […]
Show full quote

RMcOd8ll.jpg
HgXTTYjl.jpg
Fltmgbml.jpg
ThA7HWrl.jpg

Very nice..looks very high end! You should inspect the harddisk carefully if you find the driver for the RAM-card 😉

Reply 30678 of 52670, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Very nice..looks very high end! You should inspect the harddisk carefully if you find the driver for the RAM-card 😉

it didn't have a hard drive 🙁 the hard drive had been removed by the previous owner.

80386-16 with the sigma sigma markings. 2mb of RAM on a special 32bit ram card

my life runs on X86

Reply 30679 of 52670, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oo, nice 386!

I'd love to see what all hardware it has installed - Is that VGA Card full length? Must be something interesting if so. I'm gonna call it now: DTC 5000 series hard disk controller!