Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 401 of 689, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It won't post 😜

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 403 of 689, by jvidia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

put an RTX2080 Ti in it!

🤣

It's decided ... I'll use a wonderfull XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB XXX Alpha Dog Edition 😘

It's the G92 version not the G80!

Lovely card. Perfect for a XP build.

What do you think?

Edit:
Just read this in the FAQ section on the official web page of the 777Dual VSTA:

The NVIDIA® 8800GT PCIE VGA card is GEN2 mode VGA card. Unfortunately VIA® chipset does not support GEN2 mode VGA card. The only solution is to set 8800GT PCIE VGA card to GEN1 mode.
We have tested 8800GT PCIE VGA card. After flashing GEN1 mode BIOS for 8800GT, it works fine on VIA® chipset motherboard.

Is this true with the 3.19a bios?
Will I have this problem with the 8800GTS 512MB?

Reply 404 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's outdated information. Early 8800 GT cards have issues in vBIOS with proper switching between 2.0 and 1.1 mode on PCI-e (they required patching, and patched vBIOS were released).
Since Your card is much later model (ie. full 128SPs active), it shouldn't have this issue.

157143230295.png

Reply 405 of 689, by jvidia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

It's outdated information. Early 8800 GT cards have issues in vBIOS with proper switching between 2.0 and 1.1 mode on PCI-e (they required patching, and patched vBIOS were released).
Since Your card is much later model (ie. full 128SPs active), it shouldn't have this issue.

GREAT !! THANK YOU!! 😁 😉

Reply 406 of 689, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stupid question, If I buy/find a PCI-express graphic card like ATI x800 or x600, is such card compatible with Windows 98 on 775dual-VSTA? I mean, is Windows 98 compatible with PCI express?

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 408 of 689, by jokeris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening to all.I had a 4Core4Dual and i bought a Q6600 so that I will build a pc for my wife.I also wanted to put 4gb of ram.The problem I have using the beta bioses I have found is that bios reads the cpu,reads the ram but the freezes to a white underscore to the upper left of the screen.It does not go on with booting.The only bios that is ok is beta 2.33 (but it identifies only 3 out of 4gb).I have tried 2.30e ,2.33e, 2.36a , 2.39a and everytime it freezes.Would it possible for someone to upload any other beta bios?

Reply 409 of 689, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jokeris wrote:

Good evening to all.I had a 4Core4Dual and i bought a Q6600

Sorry, I do not understand what model do you have. Is 4CoreDual-SATA2 or 4CoreDual-VSTA? Q6600 is supported by official BIOS.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 411 of 689, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jokeris wrote:

but it identifies only 3 out of 4gb

This is quite usual and I suspect the BIOS is OK. I expect the area between 3GB and 4GB is used for the Graphics Card BAR memory, PCIEXBAR, etc..

When I had 4.0 GB in my TYAN S2466 only 3.5 GB us usable/visible as the 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 BARs start from 3.5 GB.

In order for all 4.0 GB to be accessible you need to check if the board supports > 4GB of memory and if so will either need to install a 64-bit version of Windows or such as Windows 2003 x32 Enterprise Server which supports up to 8GB of physical memory.

Attachments

• RAP.png
    Filename
    RAP.png
    File size
    79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    From 3.5 GB is used for such as GPU BARs
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 412 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just FYI : 64-bit OS'es are limited to what BIOS can adress.
SO, if BIOS can't do over 3,2GB - Windows can't use additional RAM, as free RAM.

Memory Remap (adressing 4GB+ memory option on Intel chipsets), isn't something VIA supports - that's why you stuck with ~3GB of RAM.

157143230295.png

Reply 413 of 689, by jokeris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry,I misspelled the model...it is 4coredual-vsta.
Q6600 is supported but limited to 2gb.
I know that some ram is reserved for hardware but the strange thing is that it reads dimm1 2gb-dimm2 2gb, total ram 3gb (in bios). With beta bios 2.39a it reads total 4gb but it stops to the white underscore to the upper left of monitor

Reply 414 of 689, by jokeris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@agent_x007 ....man..you are a god! I knew that it had to be something with the cpu (since with dual cores it booted OK) but I never imagined that dropping fsb would be the solution.In fact I was hoping to oveclocking but now I am happy to just make it work! I flashed latest bios 3.19a,with Q6600 @2300 and ram 4gb-3,2 usable.I really thank you!

Reply 416 of 689, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrgreen wrote:

On a 775Dual VSTA is it possibile to add a USB 3.0 card on PCIexpress slot or PCIexpress is only for GPU?
Thank you

I've tried 2 different PCIE 1x USB 3.0 cards on that slot and the machine won't POST with either of them. Posts fine with a graphics card connected.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 417 of 689, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had 4CoreDual-SATA2 back in 2008, I bought is together with my very first pci-e graphics, Sapphire Radeon X1950PRO 512MB GDDR3 and Pentium 4 3.0. I was really happy with this motherboard. It was my first Asrock anyway, new manufaturer to me. Always Asus, Gigabyte or other brands. I was happy with my purchase, motherboard works stable and well. I has some cons, I am not typing about overclocking. I had sound issues (integraded chip) so I rely on Creative in this case, and power management might have some issues too, I had one pin to cpu burn, I don't really blame mobo itself, it might be some dirt between lga775 and cpu, don't know. Due to pci-e and agp combo, motherboard unique and worth to look at. probably collector item as of end of 2019. Regards

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 418 of 689, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok guys I can't get this board stable. I'm running a Xeon 3230, 512MB of 533 DDR2, 2 Sata drives in IDE mode, an ATI radeon 9800 with a voodoo 2 PCI board. The OSes are installed to a 120GB SSD in 2 separate partitions. I keep getting all kinds of errors randomly, IRQL and memory access violations particularly while running games like farcry and morrowind. However I've installed 98se, XP, and Windows 7 and they all seem to have these intermitent but often crashes.

I'm running the latest official BIOS, and its a shame that I can't get it stable because the board is super quicck and if it only worked properly I'd be overjoyed. This was a brand new unused 4CoreDual-VSTA board, I looked at the board and the caps all look fine. Can anyone point me to the versions of the drivers they ended up using and anything else they think might be a problem area. I've been working on this for like 3 days straight and I'm about to give up and wait to find an intel chipset that will run my CPU but I'd like to keep this board. Let me know if I can include more info, I've also tried a Nvidia 5950 and it had the same crashing problems in morrowind. The funny thing is it runs all the 3dmark benchmarks just fine without issue so its not the video boards...

Please let me know what else I can tell you about my setup, besides trying other bios versions...does anyone know what version they think is the most stable? Any other help at all anyone with this board can give? thanks, at the end of my rope with this.

Reply 419 of 689, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

Ok guys I can't get this board stable. I'm running a Xeon 3230, 512MB of 533 DDR2, 2 Sata drives in IDE mode, an ATI radeon 9800 with a voodoo 2 PCI board. The OSes are installed to a 120GB SSD in 2 separate partitions. I keep getting all kinds of errors randomly, IRQL and memory access violations particularly while running games like farcry and morrowind. However I've installed 98se, XP, and Windows 7 and they all seem to have these intermitent but often crashes.

I'm running the latest official BIOS, and its a shame that I can't get it stable because the board is super quicck and if it only worked properly I'd be overjoyed. This was a brand new unused 4CoreDual-VSTA board, I looked at the board and the caps all look fine. Can anyone point me to the versions of the drivers they ended up using and anything else they think might be a problem area. I've been working on this for like 3 days straight and I'm about to give up and wait to find an intel chipset that will run my CPU but I'd like to keep this board. Let me know if I can include more info, I've also tried a Nvidia 5950 and it had the same crashing problems in morrowind. The funny thing is it runs all the 3dmark benchmarks just fine without issue so its not the video boards...

Please let me know what else I can tell you about my setup, besides trying other bios versions...does anyone know what version they think is the most stable? Any other help at all anyone with this board can give? thanks, at the end of my rope with this.

Played around with a build around the 4CoreDual-SATA2 last year, had tons of similar seemingly unexplainable problems with it, and general instability. Turned out the root cause was the generally flimsy and low quality RAM sockets. Desoldering the sockets and replacing them was out of question with the hobbyist equipment I got at home, so came up with a really simple fix instead, that actually did the trick:

oring.jpg
Filename
oring.jpg
File size
259.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just a couple of O-rings, tensioning the retention tabs, or whatever you want to call them. The computer has been rock stable since 😀

Yeah, I know it's somewhat of a longshot, and it's not even the same model, but it's easy enough to try at least.