VOGONS

First post, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright! Another rescue from a local municipal recycle pile that I managed to scoop up before the scrappers found it. From looking up the specs, it appears to have a 120MHz Pentium processor and launched with Windows 95. I figured it was about time I learned to work with something earlier than 95 so I set about learning how to configure windows 3.1 (because I have original Compaq install floppies for it) on a 512MB compact flash IDE adapter and managed to pull it off. Don't yet have all of the drivers though, I'm a child of the GUI and way out of my element still. It was an absolute dusty mess and I took the whole thing apart, cleaned and reassembled; it ended up being one of the nicer boxes I own. I thought I had a dud on my hands because it wouldn't boot but after a lot of troubleshooting it turns out that the processor wasn't seated, just sitting loosely on top of the locked socket. Occam's Razor. Didn't know what the heck to do with the bare IDE adapter board so built a lego case around it and shoved it up inside the drive bays. It also had the original recovery disk in the drive which is a cool touch.

Fh2yntSl.jpg

ZrxlB0Kl.jpg

GZ69hpwl.jpg

Very dirty.
4av4Gzjl.png

Less dirty.
DpwO6vul.jpg

o2yWFWtl.jpg

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 1 of 29, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those cases were a royal PITA to work with! Pretty cool rig though. Any plans for video/sound/networking?

Also dat Optiplex tower <3

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come across plenty of PC's with same amount of dust, proves it was a good honest work horse.
Not sure mine come out so clean the other side though.

Any idea what it was used for? looks pretty much stock.

Reply 3 of 29, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those cases were a royal PITA to work with!

I figured that out quickly, there isn't much in here that isn't proprietary.

Any idea what it was used for?

Have no idea, I think the original hard drive is shot but I'll have to pull it out and plug it into the IDE USB adapter to see if there's anything interesting left or if it's even accessible.

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 6 of 29, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice. I have one that is identical. Do you mind making copies of the QuickRestore discs and hosting them somewhere like archive.org?? I have been trying to find them forever, because like an idiot I threw mine away over a decade ago.

Edit, nevermind, I just saw that you already uploaded it to archive.org. Thank You!

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 29, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, gotcha covered! Would have imaged the floppy too but it seems to have fallen to bit rot unfortunately.

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 8 of 29, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The floppies can still be downloaded. I found them in several places around the web with a Google search. They're an Exe file that needs to be ran on Windows 9x or DOS which generates the floppy disk. I think I searched for "Compaq Presario 9232 Drivers" to find them.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 10 of 29, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

That's one of those old compaq models that were controversial for misleading customers in the day right? Not too surprised that it was junked.

Wait, what did they do to "mislead consumers?" Genuinely curious, haven't heard this.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 12 of 29, by jaevans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old thread but perhaps someone with experience with the 9232 can help. What is the keystroke(s) needed to enter the BIOS? I've tried F1, ESC, F10 F12, and Delete to no avail.

Thanks,
John

Reply 13 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

That's one of those old compaq models that were controversial for misleading customers in the day right? Not too surprised that it was junked.

Compaqs are generally quite robust systems compared with some other OEMs.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaevans wrote:

I know this is an old thread but perhaps someone with experience with the 9232 can help. What is the keystroke(s) needed to enter the BIOS? I've tried F1, ESC, F10 F12, and Delete to no avail.

Thanks,
John

F10 if it has the small set up partition. If that doesn't work you need to get the SoftPak off HPs ftp site.

Reply 15 of 29, by jaevans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. That explains my predicament. I obtained this without ram or hard drive so I installed a spare old IDE drive I had. I did install the SP and was able to run it. I may try to put a generic win95 install on it so i can at least get to the optical drive in order to install from the Recovery CD.

Take care,
john

Reply 16 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to see you have progress. A boot disk for Bootdisk.com should provide you with Dos CD rom support to access the CD driveto install Win95.

Reply 17 of 29, by jaevans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installing Windows 95 from my own set of floppies works, but.... 1) as someone mentioned before, the Quickrestore CD from archive.org is bad so I can't use it to restore to factory. It would be nice to boot a CD to install a Linux distro but that I haven't figured out yet. That is why I was hoping there was a keystroke or sequence to get into the BIOS, but not this 9232. 2) one post mentions boot floppy images available online but I've not located those. Perhaps they have since vanished.

Thanks much to all,
john

Reply 18 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use an older Version of the PLOP boot disk to boot a CD on basicly any system back to a 486. You can prepare a drive in another system to boot on your Compaq. You can put the Win9x installation files on the hdd in another system and run the installation routine on the Compaq. The SoftPak for your system should be on the HP ftp server. Plenty of options to get the system up and running.

Reply 19 of 29, by jaevans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks caluser2000,

Plop looks to be the perfect solution for me at this time. I think I have some spare USB expansion cards that I could install as well so Win95 OSR2.5 should help with that.

I'm really spending too much time on this system. One option is for me to just use the case and see if an old BigBoard II board will fit in there.

Thanks again,
john