VOGONS

First post, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

bom dia, vou escrever em portugues brasil, e ingles do tradutor.

comprei uma placa sem teste por usd 5 dollar, ela esta faltando esses capacitores, mas funciona com listras faltando na vertical e não reconhece no windows, coloquei os capacitores e continua com o mesmo defeito, alguem tem uma ideia do que possa ser o defeito?

ela entra no windows , mais não reconhece a placa e não pede para instalar os drivers

---

Good morning, I will write in Portuguese Brazil, and English translator.

I bought a card without test for usd 5 dollar, it is missing these capacitors, but works with stripes missing vertically and does not recognize in windows, put the capacitors and still the same defect, anyone have an idea what may be the defect?

she enters windows, but does not recognize the card and does not ask to install the drivers

video test memory volt https://youtu.be/hzUfu2WqEPE

know how to help me send me a message on whatsapp +55 11 986833878
sabe como me ajudar me envie uma mensagem no whatsapp +55 11 986833878

Attachments

• Nova.jpg
    Filename
    Nova.jpg
    File size
    105.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2440.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2440.jpg
    File size
    147.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    capacitor
    File license
Last edited by naviomercante.com.br on 2019-11-07, 21:01. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

alguem pode me ajudar a resolver esse problema ? e salvar minha voodoo

---

can someone help me solve this problem? and save my voodoo

Attachments

• IMG_2539.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2539.jpg
    File size
    159.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2538.jpg
    File size
    180.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2537.jpg
    File size
    185.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2534.jpg
    File size
    224.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2535.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2535.jpg
    File size
    261.05 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is not an issue replacing capacitors, especially fintering capacitors on the RAM will fix, that is a definite sign that one of the memory chips on the card is borked, if you have the expertise you could try replacing them one by one (whack-a-mole style) to find the faulty one and replace it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

you could try replacing them one by one (whack-a-mole style) to find the faulty one and replace it.

RAMs are fairly easy to diagnose in-circuit. I'd get the HY57V161610D datasheet and check I/O voltages. +5V anywhere on a DQ pin is a good indicator of faulty RAM.
OP can also check voltages one by one on each pin of each RAM. Just get a text file open, measure voltages and write them down. Then the next chip and the next until you find one with irregular values.

Reply 4 of 27, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

É muito comum essas voodoo 3 apresentarem problemas, o dissipador de calor dela não dá conta do calor gerado pelo chip principal. Eu já descartei algumas com o mesmo problema. Se você tiver sorte o prolema pode ser nas memórias, como falaram, é mais facil de resolver desde que tenha habilidade e equipamento para o conserto.

---

It is very common for these voodoo 3 to have problems, her heat sink does not handle the heat generated by the main chip. I have already ruled out some with the same problem. If you're lucky the problem may be in memories, as they said, it's easier to solve as long as you have the skill and equipment to fix it.

Reply 5 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

That is not an issue replacing capacitors, especially fintering capacitors on the RAM will fix, that is a definite sign that one of the memory chips on the card is borked, if you have the expertise you could try replacing them one by one (whack-a-mole style) to find the faulty one and replace it.

vou tentar descobrir como o membro Mcphee, falou, testar as tensões, so preciso saber como proceder 😒

---

I'll try to find out how member Mcphee said, test the tensions, just need to know how to proceed 😒

Reply 6 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

you could try replacing them one by one (whack-a-mole style) to find the faulty one and replace it.

RAMs are fairly easy to diagnose in-circuit. I'd get the HY57V161610D datasheet and check I/O voltages. +5V anywhere on a DQ pin is a good indicator of faulty RAM.
OP can also check voltages one by one on each pin of each RAM. Just get a text file open, measure voltages and write them down. Then the next chip and the next until you find one with irregular values.

e possivel me explicar, com fotos ou desenho como posso fazer esses teste, se não irei tirar uma por uma ate encontrar a defeituosa

---

Is it possible to explain to me, with pictures or drawing how I can do these test, if I will not take one by one until I find the defective

Reply 7 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mut wrote:

É muito comum essas voodoo 3 apresentarem problemas, o dissipador de calor dela não dá conta do calor gerado pelo chip principal. Eu já descartei algumas com o mesmo problema. Se você tiver sorte o prolema pode ser nas memórias, como falaram, é mais facil de resolver desde que tenha habilidade e equipamento para o conserto.

então queria muito conseguir concertar elas, essas placas no brasil são muito raras e caras.

---

so I really wanted to fix them, these plates in Brazil are very rare and expensive.

Reply 8 of 27, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hoje em dia estão mais raras e caras como em qualquer lugar do mundo. Mas já passou pelas minhas mãos pelo menos uma duzia delas nas mais variadas versões. Inclusive uma que eu guardei funcionando perfeitamente e tempos depois quando fui usar estava igual a sua.

O que ele falou foi pra pegar um multimetro e testar os pinos de I/O (basta pegar um datasheet pra saber) se algum pino estiver com 5v , ou 0v fixo, significa que ele está travado em nível alto ou está flutuando. Geralmente esse tipo de teste se faz com osciloscopio, mas um multimetro já pode quebrar um galho. Porém não acredito muito que seja memória com defeito.

Tem algumas pessoas que colocam a placa no forno na falta de equipamento para fazer reflown, mas se funcionar é um "conserto" temporário e feito somente em último caso.

---

Nowadays they are rarer and more expensive like anywhere in the world. But at least a dozen of them have come into my hands in various versions. Even one that I kept working perfectly and some time later when I went to use it was just like yours.

What he said was to get a multimeter and test the I / O pins (just get a datasheet to know) if any pin is 5v, or fixed 0v, it means it is locked up or floating. Usually this type of test is done with oscilloscope, but a multimeter can already break a branch. But I do not believe much that is faulty memory.

There are some people who put the plate in the oven in the absence of reflown equipment, but if it works it's a temporary "fix" and made only in the latter case.

Reply 9 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

unico datasheet que encontrei foi da voodoo 2 e como sou leigo não entendo nada olhando o pdf, preciso de conselhos !

1º onde coloco o multimetro para fazer o test de 5v no i/o, e se a placa tem que estar ligada ou desligada (desculpe se essa pergunta possa parecer idiota mas sou leigo)

2º se os test de voltagem não der certo, eu começo retirando os chip de memoria com soprador termico nessa sequencia numerica mesmo ou tenho que seguir outra sequencia ?meço retirando os chip de memoria com soprador termico nessa sequencia numerica mesmo ou tenho que seguir outra sequencia ?

---

The only datasheet I found was from voodoo 2 and as I am a layman I don't understand anything looking at the pdf, I need advice!

1st where I put the multimeter to do the 5v test on the I / O, and if the board has to be on or off (sorry if this question may seem stupid but I'm a layman)

2nd if the voltage tests do not work, I start removing the memory chip with thermal blower in this numerical sequence or do I have to follow another sequence?

Attachments

• test i o.jpg
    Filename
    test i o.jpg
    File size
    262.99 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

testei todos os chip de memoria, positivos e negativos conforme o desenho (desculpe pelo desenho mas e a unica forma que iria conseguir explicar como fiz)
em todos os chip a voltagem esta constante nada ocila, alguma dica sobre o que testar ?

---

I tested all the memory chips, positive and negative according to the drawing (sorry for the drawing but it's the only way I could explain how I did it)
In all chip the voltage is constant nothing hides, any tips on what to test?

Attachments

• test i o - Copia.jpg
    Filename
    test i o - Copia.jpg
    File size
    74.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2541.jpg
    File size
    214.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are doing the right thing. Clip the multimeter black-negative point to the card's header (use alligator clips). Use the red point to measure the IC pins carefully.
Measure all the chip pinouts named DQ1 through DQ15. Write them down. The one chip with irregular voltages will be the faulty one. DQ voltages are usually ~0,2-3,3V. Short circuited DQ outputs are 5V. Compare the chips one by one.

Reply 14 of 27, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you need replacement RAM chips, Quest Components (questcomp.com) has these in stock for $3ea if ordering a full set of 8, but they have a price break at 9 which makes them $2.25ea.. You could also use the 5.5ns model (HY57V161610DTC-55) and have better overclocking ability.

But, you are also missing another capacitor at the top end of the card according to your last picture, which could be contributing to the problem if you haven't fixed that yet.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 15 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My video test volt erro in youtube, first time I'm doing this, and I don't have proper equipment

https://youtu.be/hzUfu2WqEPE

Last edited by naviomercante.com.br on 2019-11-07, 20:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:

If you need replacement RAM chips, Quest Components (questcomp.com) has these in stock for $3ea if ordering a full set of 8, but they have a price break at 9 which makes them $2.25ea.. You could also use the 5.5ns model (HY57V161610DTC-55) and have better overclocking ability.

But, you are also missing another capacitor at the top end of the card according to your last picture, which could be contributing to the problem if you haven't fixed that yet.

eu tinha colocado antes, so que caiu, mas ja coloquei novamente o capacitor

---

I had put it before, only it fell, but I already put the capacitor

Reply 17 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote:

You are doing the right thing. Clip the multimeter black-negative point to the card's header (use alligator clips). Use the red point to measure the IC pins carefully.
Measure all the chip pinouts named DQ1 through DQ15. Write them down. The one chip with irregular voltages will be the faulty one. DQ voltages are usually ~0,2-3,3V. Short circuited DQ outputs are 5V. Compare the chips one by one.

não encontrei nenhuma DQ em curto-circuito com 5V 😒, vou pegar a lista e comparar todos os valores de todos o chip, e ver se alguem tem voltagem diferente.

---

I found no shorted DQ with 5V 😒, I'll take the list and compare all values ​​of all the chip, and see if anyone has different voltage.

Reply 18 of 27, by naviomercante.com.br

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:

é possível enviar o link da (questcomp.com), que tem peça em estoque, pois não encontro: /, meus inglês e muito ruim

estou esperando meu soprador termico chegar para retirar uma por uma, e tentar localizar a memoria com defeito, para depois comprar a memoria

---

it is possible to send the link of (questcomp.com), which has part in stock, because I can not find: /, my english and very bad

I'm waiting for my thermal blower to arrive to remove one by one, and try to locate the faulty memory, then buy the memory

https://br.utsource.net/itm/p/8514492.html?digipart=1 compatible ??