VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I bought a stock of 13 videocards for a low price, most of them are working, I tested them with a couple of dos benchmarks and in 3dmark99, while 3 are somehow damaged.
The pci and agp cards simply don't boot, I can't see any physical damage on them.
The ati pci express card instead boots fine but the fan doesn't work, it only spins for a second when I push it with the finger, any suggestion?

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/eNlKrmb

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 5, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCIE: resolder the joints of the fan connector. If it doesn't work, replace the fan cable.
PCI&AGP: check for damaged traces, *get datasheets for the main chips if available and measure +5V voltages.

*Edited to clarify.

Reply 2 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote:

PCIE: resolder the joints of the fan connector. If it doesn't work, replace the fan cable.
PCI&AGP: check for damaged traces, *get datasheets for the main chips if available and measure +5V voltages.

*Edited to clarify.

Thank you for the tip, I can confirm that the fan connector works, I tried a 2 mini pin fan from another video card and everything works fine, the problem is definitely on the fan itself. On the other hand I'm unable to get it off from the heatsink.

Pci card: it is detected on windows if I use another card to boot, I can't see any damage but I will look on it again.

Reply 3 of 5, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeon pci x700: backside of the card seems to be missing something at c64 spot. Comparing it to this image:

Attachments

• x700xt-scan-back.jpg
    Filename
    x700xt-scan-back.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Radeon pci x700: backside of the card seems to be missing something at c64 spot. Comparing it to this image:

Wow what a good eye, you are definitely right it's missing, furthermore it seems it has been desoldered.
Could it be a problem? Since I can't find a way to fix the fan i'm unable to properly test it.
Any suggestion about how can I take the mask with radeon x700 off?

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/0cHbFvU

Reply 5 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after some time I got back to those cards:
Radeon pci x700: it apparently works fine, I added what was missing to the c64 spot, the problem is still the fan, it's silly it works fine when it's not connected to the heatsink (fans are free to spin even inside the heatsink) but when I put it back sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I took the sticker off from the back and put some oil inside, I still wasn't able to make it works everytime.

ATI 3DRage IIC AGP 8MB Graphic Card/Graphic Card ICUVGA-GW806D 9806-20: I tried to take off the bios, the chip is fried, I swapped to a surely working chip but I lack the proper bios (I tried the bios of another Race IIC AGP but it doesn't work), now when inside the pc it gives 1 long beep and 3 short.

Sis 6215: I decided to take the memory chips off from the card to use them elsewhere.

So if anyone is able to provide the bios of the Gainward card i'm grateful.