VOGONS

Reply 13400 of 27334, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@mallensw
This motherboard is one of the rare AT 486 board to officially support PS/2 lives, why not trying to populate the header for it ? 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13401 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Anybody here have good recomendations for a soldering starter kit? I'm sick and tired of my parts crapping themselfes and not be […]
Show full quote

Anybody here have good recomendations for a soldering starter kit? I'm sick and tired of my parts crapping themselfes and not being able to attempt any serious repairs. Basically I'm looking for recommendations for:

* A Soldering Iron in the $50 range that works good for electronics.
* Common cap values I should just go ahead and order to keep in stock.
* Some sort of "holding device" to hold whatever I'm working on while these meat claws of hands I'm stuck with try to fumble with tiny caps.
* Some sort of gloves, that are flexible but provide at least some burn protection. (again, meat claws for hands)

1) At $50 I think we're looking at "adequate" rather than "good," but I'm looking myself (occasionally) to figure out what I want, but I'm looking at $100+ hot air station combos, so way outside that price range. Someone mentioned the TS100 (also look at the TS80), some of the new small battery-driven irons perform fairly well.

2) It's not just values, it's types and sizes. I feel your pain with regard to cap management, though, and for some reason my eyes fog over when I start digging through Mouser's website.

3) Third hands, as mentioned above. Use that search term on eBay and you'll find a kajillion of them. Planning on building my own big enough for a motherboard, and with light and endoscope (camera) arms.

4) The only thing that comes to mind is kevlar (some types of anti-stab/cut gloves), which melt at 500 degrees Celsius, but remember that a glove will transmit less heat but hold that heat next to your skin. Maybe someone will make aerogel gloves for this purpose, I've only seen winter gloves and fingerless cycling gloves, neither of which help.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 13402 of 27334, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally, I got my IBM BL3 (alaris cougar) off of my test bench, and boxed in. I like how it looks.

I don't mind the different colors or shades, adds to the patina. 🤣

I never ever planed on owning or building such a machine, it was all sort of an accident.

Attachments

• IBM BL3.jpg
    Filename
    IBM BL3.jpg
    File size
    147.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13403 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The bay speakers are a nice touch. 5.25" FDD, CD-RW, 3.5" FDD, and ZIP drive (100MB, I'm guessing). Also, that toggle power switch is really neat.

Also, I read off of the EEPROM chip on my Original Xbox 1.0 system so that I can copy the soft mod game saves to the HDD from my Socket 370 system and do the complete soft mod on it and swap the HDD to a 480GB SSD after I buy the SSD and an 80-conductor IDE cable.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13404 of 27334, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went through some boxes of parts to try to find something better than this E2160 Pentium. Found a E6550, not the most amazing CPU in the world but good enough to setup Windows 10 until I find a quad core for this system. Upgraded the 250watt FSP PSU to a 350watt Bestec out of a newer HP. Found out the Acer motherboard has one of the last LGA775 chipsets VIA made. Should make for a pretty decent system for my younger cousins to play some Fortnite and Minecraft and what not on with a 750ti thrown in.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13407 of 27334, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone here ever heard of or used an IOS app/Windows program called iAltair by Peter Schorn? It's an emulator that either emulates a version of CP/M or MS-DOS 1.25 on a 8080/8086/Z80 CPU. Using it on your phone or tablet is kind of like having a limited version of DOSBox. 😀 Some of the emulated OSs come with a really ancient version of BASIC or Pascal which is entertaining to play around with if you're into coding. There're also a few very old games. The full version of iAltair for IOS costs a few bucks but you can download a limited version for free.

Links:
https://schorn.ch/altair.html
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ialtair/id291182085

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 13408 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. That's interesting.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13409 of 27334, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote:

Using it on your phone or tablet is kind of like having a limited version of DOSBox. 😀

What's the point of that when you can use a full port of DOSBox instead?

Reply 13410 of 27334, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pulled my beloved Cobalt Qube 3 Pro out of storage...

Qube 3 Parked.jpg
Filename
Qube 3 Parked.jpg
File size
108.51 KiB
Views
File license

Opened it up for cleanups and whatnot...

Tight Fit Inside.JPG
Filename
Tight Fit Inside.JPG
File size
101.5 KiB
Views
File license

Need to dust that board set...

CPU and Daughterboard.jpg
Filename
CPU and Daughterboard.jpg
File size
148.38 KiB
Views
File license

And have a think on what I want to do with the chassis.

Housing Apart.jpg
Filename
Housing Apart.jpg
File size
113.59 KiB
Views
File license

Thinking about either:
a) Setting up a Slackware based chroot jail and get it to netboot there, and then replace the current OS inside (Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS with a custom kernel 3.4 Build) with something relatively modern and slackware based.

or...

b) Replace the innards with the inside of either a Dell/Wyse dx0q/zx0q or HP t610 or t620 Plus...and then use it to drive some SSDs as a TimeCapsule replacement for the missus.

I haven't decided yet.

The Beginning.jpg
Filename
The Beginning.jpg
File size
136.06 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 13411 of 27334, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, T5720 with PCI expansion, I'm officially envy...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 13412 of 27334, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
Peter Swinkels wrote:

Using it on your phone or tablet is kind of like having a limited version of DOSBox. 😀

What's the point of that when you can use a full port of DOSBox instead?

It's not really a limited version of DOSBox. The point is that if that sort of thing interests you can use a really old DOS like OS, namely CP/M. Is there a port of DOSBox for IOS unless you jailbreak your phone?

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 13413 of 27334, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:

Nice, T5720 with PCI expansion, I'm officially envy...

There's an nVidia Geforce 6200 TC inside that t5720. My wife isn't too thrilled with it (it takes up too much room) and now that I have my Thinkpads (T21/X31), and I don't really need them anymore. There's also a SiS530/Rise mP6 based thin client on the rack that I bought on impulse (with an AOpen YMF744 Cobra audio card) but never figured out what to do with. I am awaiting until my ThinkPad Dock II arrives so I can transfer the AOpen Cobra to it. Once that happens I am probably going to give away the thin clients - every time I want to do something I had to whip out the portable LCD and set it up - it's a bit of a pain.

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2019-11-09, 06:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13414 of 27334, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Eo08P26l.jpg […]
Show full quote

Eo08P26l.jpg

Did y'all know Compaq/HP essentially reused the same case for nearly 20 years?

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13415 of 27334, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some upgrades to my Compaq Deskpro 6400. Gone is the Pentium II 400 MHz, it's now a Pentium III 500 MHz (wanted to use a 650 MHz one, actually, but the board can only do 2.0V core voltage). Took longer than expected, since I had to find a heatsink, a working fan, and modify the fan connector to fit onto the header for the case fan. The Deskpro 6400 was designed for a passively cooled CPU and has no header for a CPU fan, and I did not want to use an ugly Molex adapter...

Also added a REALmagic Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card.

Reply 13416 of 27334, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Did some upgrades to my Compaq Deskpro 6400. Gone is the Pentium II 400 MHz, it's now a Pentium III 500 MHz (wanted to use a 650 MHz one, actually, but the board can only do 2.0V core voltage). Took longer than expected, since I had to find a heatsink, a working fan, and modify the fan connector to fit onto the header for the case fan. The Deskpro 6400 was designed for a passively cooled CPU and has no header for a CPU fan, and I did not want to use an ugly Molex adapter...

Was this also originally one of those designs where the PSU sucked the air in and blasted it into the general direction of the Slot CPU? For the first Slots processors that was ok. But one would have to think about reversing it later for higher end models and add more fans.

Reply 13419 of 27334, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Oh, did I mention that this thing is now a Multimedia monster? 😁 😁 😁