VOGONS

80186 socket

Topic actions

First post, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a couple of 80186s lying around (ceramic package), and I've been tempted to start some project with them. However, I don't have sockets to put them in, and googling doesn't help. So my question is whether someone knows whether sockets for these chips are still available, and I'd so where.

JAL

Reply 1 of 6, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it would be helpful if you mentioned the type of package rather than just the material.
The Wikipedia entry lists PGA-68, PLCC-68 and LCC-68.

This is a nice selection of 68-Position PGA sockets: https://www.mouser.de/Connectors/IC-Component … 1ytkn36Z1z0xajc
And 68-Position PLCC sockets aren't exactly hard to find, either: https://www.mouser.de/Connectors/IC-Component … 1ytkn36Z1z0x9k0
So unless you have LCC parts, getting matching sockets really shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply 2 of 6, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on the actual package that your 80186 chips are in. "Ceramic" can meam one of several things: PGA, CLCC, etc. Here are some examples:

Ceramic PGA package:
L_Intel-A80C186-16.jpg

CLCC package:
L_Intel-C80186.jpg

These 2 would be the most common. If searching for sockets you should look for 68-pin PGA (first above) or 68-pin CLCC (second one).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 6, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finding a CLCC68 socket is nearly impossible. I've been trying to get one for my MBL80286-8 for weeks, no luck. A CLCC-PLCC converter socket doesn't even exist as far as I can tell even though there are pictures of it online.
If you have this package you are better off making a socket yourself. That's what I'm going to do.

Reply 4 of 6, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote:

Finding a CLCC68 socket is nearly impossible. I've been trying to get one for my MBL80286-8 for weeks, no luck. A CLCC-PLCC converter socket doesn't even exist as far as I can tell even though there are pictures of it online.
If you have this package you are better off making a socket yourself. That's what I'm going to do.

https://www.unicornelectronics.com/icsockets/LCC.html

LCC68=CLCC68

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 6, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I already got a CLCC-PGA converter socket but those mainboards are super rare (here). I haven't seen a PGA socketed 286 mainboard in months. All my boards take PLCC chips.
Besides the $25 minimum order (+taxes&shipping) is pointless when you need a single .99 piece.

Attachments

• 433572684.jpg
    Filename
    433572684.jpg
    File size
    107.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CLCC-PLCC converter
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0069.JPG
    File size
    795.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0068.JPG
    File size
    971.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 6, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the CLCC ones, so it seems I need the converter one (which could be put on a custom PCB).

EDIT: It seems Digikey has them as well, but for a pretty hefty price ($20, without cover).

JAL