VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are your thoughts, on this?
First this is not meant to be a all coverage dos system, or the ultimate vogons ss7 build 🤣.
It's purpose built only 96/97 early 3d.

Tyan S1590s "Trinity"
AMD k62 Plus 450
256 MB ram
Diamond Stealth S220 Rendition
Orchid Righteous Voodoo 1
3com 3c905b TX
Creative AWE 64

Reply 1 of 7, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good for benchmarking, but if you were actaully going to use the system for gaming I'm guessing you would heavily favor the Voodoo1 and rarely use the Rendition Verite. Definately a unique setup since most people would pair the Voodoo with a compatible yet high performing 2D card which the Rendition Verite is famously bad at.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some games with better Verite rendereres than Glide though; I believe Grand Prix Legends is one?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hexon II looks better. and there is a few others. It's probably not the fastest or even fast. But I question how fast you need to be for 1997 level gaming?

I should run some benchmarks to see if this is good enough for the games I intend to load on it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games that use the Quake engine are a must since Verite can produce some nice AA on those

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 6 of 7, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice setup!
I have the same board for my S7 Pentium 233 MMX build, gotta love those Tyan boards. Mine is running a Matrox Mystique, Diamond Voodoo 1, AWE 64 Value, Win95B + DOS. Maybe I'll replace the Matrox with a S3 soon for improved DOS games compatibility.
Edit: I got that wrong before. I am using the Trinity for my SS7 build with K6-2+ and Voodoo 3. P1-233 MMX is Tyan Titan Turbo ATX (S1572) 😀

My retro computers

Reply 7 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Descent II for Verite is a pretty nice port and that system should be a beast to run it. You have to set some variables since the patch was originally for the V1000, but it runs really well once you get it going.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!