VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 182 of 1021, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

It sounds like Oracle doesn't care about a lot of their products.

They do if it turns your money into another yacht for Larry. Of course, they've also discovered a certain level of brokenness is further business opportunity in disguise.

In this way, they're a lot like SAP.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 183 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

It sounds like Oracle doesn't care about a lot of their products.

They do if it turns your money into another yacht for Larry. Of course, they've also discovered a certain level of brokenness is further business opportunity in disguise.

In this way, they're a lot like SAP.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR74rAu2R5XZG8SYljncSAI5tQrmRHzNAHhy6Bi-KThIsO5p5y6nGtE0Yk5qw&s=10

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 184 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am actually trying to hold my happiness back after seeing how powerful the all new 16 inch macbook pro is. I need to save money for this!!!

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 185 of 1021, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suit yourself. I refuse to buy a laptop without user-upgradable RAM or storage. And no gimmicky high resolution displays that scale down.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 186 of 1021, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setup an Ubuntu Server VM on my ESXi box this morning, installed Pi Hole, configured my pfSense firewall to point to the Pi Hole for DNS resolution... and now I'm blocking the vast majority of ads before they even get to my devices. I should have done it sooner.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 187 of 1021, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Suit yourself. I refuse to buy a laptop without user-upgradable RAM or storage. And no gimmicky high resolution displays that scale down.

I'm there with you, problem is, that even Lenovo with their ThinkPads T-line is distancing from user upgrade-ability more and more (only one memory slot is available in T490, 2nd one is replaced by soldered chips, soldered WiFi card, non-user replaceable battery)...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 188 of 1021, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

And no gimmicky high resolution displays that scale down.

Well, they are not gimmicky at all. If you stare at text or spreadsheets all day, HiDPI screens make a world of difference. My eyes can't thank me enough after getting a 4K monitor (I'm using it as 1920x1080@2X -- this is called "Retina" in Apple's terminology). Even the small text remains amazingly readable, this means that I can scale down my linebooks to fit the screen horizontally and still work with them comfortably. On a regular 1920x1080 screen of the same size I very quickly get a terrible headache due to eye strain if I try to do the same thing.

Reply 189 of 1021, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

I'm there with you, problem is, that even Lenovo with their ThinkPads T-line is distancing from user upgrade-ability more and more (only one memory slot is available in T490, 2nd one is replaced by soldered chips, soldered WiFi card, non-user replaceable battery)...

Unfortunately, this ship has sailed, and some of the circumstances are out of the manufacturer's control. Intel don't sell individual chips and wi-fi adapters anymore, they sell complete platforms. E.g. some parts of Wi-Fi PHY are now actually in the CPU package and it makes no sense to provide a slot for a Wi-Fi module because nothing except one particular module would work anyway.

Reply 190 of 1021, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Srandista wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

HP's Elitebook 830 and 840 line are similar in size yet don't compromise.They 2 user-accessible RAM slots and WiFi card slot... as well as M.2 slot.

As per the high res screens... I have used plenty of machines with them. I strongly prefer FHD over them on a laptop... but to each their own.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 191 of 1021, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got all the parts in for my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB and got straight to cutting the top cover of the case to fit the Ice Tower in it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

8YGe9Vc.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 192 of 1021, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Connected my LS-120 drive to my desktop's SATA port using an IDE to SATA adapter, power cables for both the LS-120 drive and adapter, and an 18" SATA cable to port 5 of the motherboard and the Blu-Ray RE connected to port 4. I also went into the BIOS to set SATA ports 5 and 6 to IDE mode and is accessible to DOSBox, able to read, write, and format diskettes.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 193 of 1021, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fixed my Nexus 7 2013 32GB Wi-Fi (flo) tablet that had a busted USB port (data in (+) and data out (-), as well as ID pins were toast) by replacing the charger board with an open box one I bought off of eBay and currently doing a custom ROM install.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 194 of 1021, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disassembled a DFI Lan Party ITX Socket AM3 board I got for cheap, cleaned the processor, cooler and socket as best I could. There's TIM in the socket and on the pins of the cpu in a thin trail... gonna have to buy some toothpicks to clean it out. It's MX2 or MX4 so it's quite sticky and thick, hope I can save it. If not I got 4 working sticks of ram which is worth what I spent on it. The processor is Phenom II X4 810 2.6ghz so no huge loss if it's trashed. Other than that I tested out the static free brush set I bought on the board and it cleaned it up really well and it looks new again. Quite happy with that purchase.

Now to recap my ASUS TUV4X since the caps arrived and I got a new weller soldering station.

Reply 195 of 1021, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran 3DMark01 on a 110" 4K projection screen, and first thing I noticed was the complete absence of any motion blur. I don't think I've see such smooth, clear motion since running this benchmark on a CRT. This JVC D-ILA projector has absolutely astonishing motion resolution--far better than any LCD monitor/TV I've ever seen. I'm going to have to start bringing my games down here and running them on the HTPC!
JoNS5ky.jpg

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 196 of 1021, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

There's TIM in the socket and on the pins of the cpu in a thin trail... gonna have to buy some toothpicks to clean it out. It's MX2 or MX4 so it's quite sticky and thick, hope I can save it.

Isopropyl (90% up preferred) works well to soften and/or remove most TIMs. I put it in a spray bottle that can do a fine spray.
I've cleaned dried bloops of TIM out of LGA775 sockets by spraying it down repeatedly until the TIM was gone.
I had to hit it once or twice and hour for several days but it got it out. The board is worth $$$ so it was worth the effort.
If toothpicks are too big use a dulled pin or the big end of a needle. (Tape the point.)
Spray to wet/soften the TIM. Loosen with the pin/needle/pick then spray to flush it out.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 197 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

holy shit! Gaming on a 110" 4K screen is an absolute dream

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 198 of 1021, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

I ran 3DMark01 on a 110" 4K projection screen, and first thing I noticed was the complete absence of any motion blur. I don't think I've see such smooth, clear motion since running this benchmark on a CRT. This JVC D-ILA projector has absolutely astonishing motion resolution--far better than any LCD monitor/TV I've ever seen. I'm going to have to start bringing my games down here and running them on the HTPC!

Noice.
Did you run it at 4K resolution or just use the default settings? It looks like it's running in 4x3, and 999 fps seems really high for 4k.

Reply 199 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me and my great dad repaired this last weekend two damn big noteboks... a Sony Vaio from around 2009, i7 and 4GB ram with Windows 7; and a HP Pavillion with what I believe to be a Core 2 Duo from around 2007, and running Vista.

Since both harddisks were corrupted, and the Vaio wasn't booting for some reason (which we found afterwards), we installed different operating systems to them. The HP has got the elementaryOS linux distro, while the Vaio will get Win10.

The Vaio actually didn't boot because of two problems, first the heatsink was full (really full, no joke) of dust, and it was overheating badly. Second, the monitor wasn't even working properly, too many glitches. Eventually we worked around it and the Vaio is now working.

We have no use for both so in any moment we will find something for them to do... We only work on our macbooks and iPads... even my mother does her stuff on her iPad today, and both notebooks were her computers back when she worked as an architect.

JOBS, Steve.