solder there....
😀

I speak sarcasm as a 2nd language

Reply 21 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best place to take power is from the various tantalums or fat ceramics which are gonna be sitting between some power rail. I used a big cap near the voltage regulator chip for fan power on my Banshee card :
BansheeFan.jpg

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 32, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 5 pins component on left of the heatsink is probably a voltage regulator. I can't read the reference.
I'm quite sure we can find the datasheet and get 12 volts from it.
Or on a capacitor as above.

Edit, according to EZ1580 pinout , input is on pin 5.
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … H/EZ1580CM.html

Reply 23 of 32, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here's my solution, without attaching anything on to the card itself
s-l1600.jpg

butchered my case to add a side fan that i had lying around too

s-l1600.jpg

MSI MS-6734 KM3M mobo / Athlon XP 3000+ /512mb ddr1 ram
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI @185mhz / Aureal vortex 2 (dell oem)
3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 24 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well as I suggested someone should probe the +5v on the feature connector and check if it corresponds to the +5V coming from the motherboard via agp. If it comes from there, there shouldn't be any problem to plug a fan on there.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 25 of 32, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Well as I suggested someone should probe the +5v on the feature connector and check if it corresponds to the +5V coming from the motherboard via agp. If it comes from there, there shouldn't be any problem to plug a fan on there.

How to do this?

Reply 26 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simply probe both pins with a multimeter an check if the resistance is 0ohms or pretty close. I could check this soon as well, my v3s are at home but I'm not currently.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28 of 32, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just measured pins from PCI connector that were 5v and used those to power a 12v fan to cool my V3 2000 PCI that has 3000 BIOS flashed onto it. No problems at all and fan runs nice and quiet. Hate loud whining fans (no pun intended)..

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 29 of 32, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Then you fry the card. I can't see the amperage the feature connector can handle a fan.

Reply 30 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But this is what I'm asking ! If the +5V found on the feature connector is coming from the motherboard directly, there's no such thing as overcurrent on the feature connector or vrm !

According to the pinout, these +5V pins are "N/C" so they shouldn't do anything actually. The reason why they have +5V is unknown.

Also, the noctua fan that was quoted earlier (NF4a10x 5v) takes 0.05A / 0.25W max. Is this that big of a deal ?

Reply 31 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First you need to make sure they actually are 5V lines, rather than some digital signals. Multimeter will not be able to tell a difference, outside actual continuity check against 5V elsewhere such as HDD or mobo power connector. Safest locations are the various tantalum capacitors, they are guaranteed to be on the various power rails.
If those feature connector pins carry some actual signals then fan won't do a thing or in worst case actually damages the signals since some random IO pin will not be able to supply more than couple tens of mA in best case.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 32 of 32, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok I tried the two 5v pins for continuity on the Agp connector. There wasn't any. Some of the pins showed some resistance. For now this project is on hold. 🙁