VOGONS

Reply 13440 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back when I initially built my TubeTime Adlib clone I could not find a real Bourns logarithmic potentiometer. I eventually got one. I got around to replacing the cheap Chinese pot with the correct size not long ago, but only recently did I have the time to design an STL file for a bracket for it. So today I got the 3D printed bracket in the mail, and I think it turned out fantastic (I did have to enlarge the holes manually by 1-2mm though..)

Tube-Time-Adlib-Pot-Bracket.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13442 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure, I will share it as soon as I get back home. Remember to enlarge the holes a bit though. Also, make sure you have the same kind of 3.5mm jack, mine is a low profile one.

Reply 13444 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:

Thanks. I should be able to modify the 3D file to fix it for my design. 😀

Actually, I managed to get access to it. It's attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    Adlib_Bracket.zip
    File size
    14.31 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13445 of 27412, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed VIA 4-in-1 4.43 driver set on my Shuttle AV18V31 motherboard that has a VIA Apollo Pro 133A northbridge and the newer drivers made my nVidia GeForce4 Ti4400 AGP run at 2x instead of 4x. With 4.43, the AGP port is running at 4x now and all of my games are smooth as butter now.

Source: Guru3D.com Archive January 2004

Search for 4.43 and it'll be the one uploaded on the 31st of January 2004.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13446 of 27412, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Installed VIA 4-in-1 4.43 driver set on my Shuttle AV18V31 motherboard that has a VIA Apollo Pro 133A northbridge and the newer drivers made my nVidia GeForce4 Ti4400 AGP run at 2x instead of 4x. With 4.43, the AGP port is running at 4x now and all of my games are smooth as butter now.

Source: Guru3D.com Archive January 2004

Search for 4.43 and it'll be the one uploaded on the 31st of January 2004.

Why not download the newest drivers right from VIA site?

Reply 13447 of 27412, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because the system reports my AGP card is running at 2x instead of 4x that my board has enabled. The older nVidia drivers is not DX9 compatible, so...

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13448 of 27412, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recapped 7 motherboards - all from some new-old-stock HP T5700 thin clients. I hand 8 of these altogether, and 7 had the same 2 bad caps. Of those, 5 wouldn't even post to BIOS. But now with the new Panasonic caps, all 7 boards work perfectly!

This is my first attempt at recapping anything. Luckily the underside of the board was easy to get to and once I got the hang of this, it wasn't too bad.

The hardware itself is nothing special, but with its VIA chipset and ATI Rage onboard video, it was able to take a fully functional Windows 98 installation.

t5700-2.jpg

t5700-1.jpg

Reply 13449 of 27412, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Thanks. I should be able to modify the 3D file to fix it for my design. 😀

Actually, I managed to get access to it. It's attached.

Awesome, thank you!

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 13450 of 27412, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next stage in my Gotek(s) mods: rotary encoder

The ones I got were on a little PCB, would not fit in the Gotek easily, so I decided to desolder it from the PCB and hook it up directly. Needed some pins soldered to hook it up and a patch wire to connect the two ground pins. Since I do all this in threefold it took me some time. Only to find out that I don't have the correct size drill to drill the hole, so I can't finish it tonight 🙁 It all works fine though! FlashFloppy is a must-have on a Gotek! (or HxC but haven't used that myself.

3osjF0Tl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 13451 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just reinstalling Windows 2000 Professional from scratch with VMWare, and applying all the updates I can. And I want it to stay vanilla, so no kernel extenders for now.

Next on my list is to find a decent browser - I believe my best candidate is Pale Moon 26.5...

Then I will install all my old games on it. I'd go with Windows 98, but... browsing is kinda impossible.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13452 of 27412, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bfcastello wrote:

I'm just reinstalling Windows 2000 Professional from scratch with VMWare, and applying all the updates I can. And I want it to stay vanilla, so no kernel extenders for now.

Next on my list is to find a decent browser - I believe my best candidate is Pale Moon 26.5...

Then I will install all my old games on it. I'd go with Windows 98, but... browsing is kinda impossible.

I used Windows 2000 on my main PC until just 2 years ago. It was the lack of web browser support that made me finally upgrade to Windows 7. Now when I do Win 2k builds on retro machines, I go with K-Meleon v74 (equal to Firefox v24).

Reply 13453 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bmwsvsu wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

I used Windows 2000 on my main PC until just 2 years ago. It was the lack of web browser support that made me finally upgrade to Windows 7. Now when I do Win 2k builds on retro machines, I go with K-Meleon v74 (equal to Firefox v24).

Thanks for the tip. I could try it later!

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13454 of 27412, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was playing around with my 286 today. Not having touched QuickBasic for close to 30 years, I wondered how long it would take me to make analogue clock. Turns out, about an hour or so, had to look up a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten about. Still heaps of room for improvement. 😀

DECLARE SUB drawClock ()
DECLARE SUB drawHour (t$, c%)
DECLARE SUB drawSecond (t$, c%)

CONST PI = 3.141592654#

CONST ORG.X = 640 / 2
CONST ORG.Y = 480 / 2

LET prevTime$ = TIME$

SCREEN 12
CLS

drawClock

ON TIMER(1) GOSUB displayTime

TIMER ON
DO
LOOP UNTIL INKEY$ = CHR$(27)
TIMER OFF
END

displayTime:
LET currTime$ = TIME$

drawHour prevTime$, 0
drawSecond prevTime$, 0

drawHour currTime$, 7
drawSecond currTime$, 15

prevTime$ = currTime$

RETURN

SUB drawClock
LET a = 200

' Draw seconds dots
FOR i = 0 TO PI * 2 - (PI * 2 / 60) STEP (PI * 2 / 60)
LET s = SIN(i)
LET c = COS(i)
LET x = ORG.X + (s * a)
LET y = ORG.Y + (c * a)

LET sd% = s * (180 / PI)
LET cd% = c * (180 / PI)

IF sd% <> 0 AND cd% <> 0 THEN
PSET (x, y), 15
END IF
NEXT i

' Draw hourly dots
FOR i = 0 TO PI * 2 - (PI * 2 / 12) STEP (PI * 2 / 12)
LET s = SIN(i)
LET c = COS(i)
LET x = ORG.X + (s * a)
Show last 43 lines
    LET y = ORG.Y + (c * a)

LET r = 1.5
LET k = 7

LET sd% = s * (180 / PI)
LET cd% = c * (180 / PI)

IF sd% = 0 OR cd% = 0 THEN
r = 3
k = 15
END IF

CIRCLE (x, y), r, k
PAINT (x, y), k
NEXT i
END SUB

SUB drawHour (t$, c%)
LET hh% = VAL(MID$(t$, 1, 2))
LET mm% = VAL(MID$(t$, 4, 2))

LET a = 120
LET f = PI * 2
LET x = ORG.X + SIN(-(f / (12 * 60)) * (hh% * 60 + mm%) + PI) * a
LET y = ORG.Y + COS(-(f / (12 * 60)) * (hh% * 60 + mm%) + PI) * a

LINE (ORG.X, ORG.Y)-(x, y), c%
END SUB

SUB drawSecond (t$, c%)
LET ss% = VAL(MID$(t$, 7, 2))

LET a = 190
LET f = PI * 2
LET x = ORG.X + SIN(-(f / 60) * ss% + PI) * a
LET y = ORG.Y + COS(-(f / 60) * ss% + PI) * a

LINE (ORG.X, ORG.Y)-(x, y), c%
END SUB

Reply 13455 of 27412, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I received the EasyFlash 3 cartridge that I ordered for my Commodore 64.

It's great being able to flash .crt images to it and have multiple cartridge games on 1 cartridge, but the greatest thing of all of it's amazing features is - JiffyDOS! I'd heard about JiffyDOS for years and wondered what all the fuss was about and now I know - the speed difference loading disk & prg files is outstanding!

The EasyFlash 3 has other fast loading kernel images, as well as slots for Action Replay & Super Snapshot 5. All in all I'm quite happy with this cartridge. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of something like the "1541 Ultimate-II", but it is much more affordable and is sufficient for my needs. 😎

My next aim is to create some multi-game cartridge images on my PC and fill up those program slots, as well as flashing the GEOS boot kernel image for fast booting of GEOS from disk. Mind you, even booting GEOS from disk in the regular manner with JiffyDOS is a vast improvement, 1-2 minutes load time before down to about <30 seconds with JiffyDOS enabled!!

Reply 13456 of 27412, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PTherapist wrote:

I'd heard about JiffyDOS for years and wondered what all the fuss was about and now I know - the speed difference loading disk & prg files is outstanding!

Yes it's amazing - I accidentally turned it off a while back and thought my machine must have been dying, but no, it was just loading at stock speeds 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13457 of 27412, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested a bunch or 3.5" floppy drives, two were toast but the other dozen work well. Odd part is that the two dead ones are exact same make and model 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13458 of 27412, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried to install ReactOS on a Toshiba Portege M200. It didn't go really well.

My biggest beef with ROS has always been that it isn't setup to install FROM harddisk (which is how I always install Windows). You can't start the installer from DOS. I was entertaining the idea of trying to write my own util to start it, but it seems pointless at the moment. The situation has somewhat improved because they now have the INSTALLFREELDR program to create a boot sector that can start their installer. Except this program doesn't run from DOS, and it only creates the boot sector IN the actual boot sector, which means I had to immediately use a sector editor to capture the ROS boot sector and restore the NT one. Because according to their wiki, their installer will save the old boot sector but it won't add it to their boot menu, so when you get a non-working ROS install (like I ultimately did) then you can't boot NT/DOS anymore and you have an unbootable system which is dumb.

With that out of the way, I went through the text mode installer. The files in their boot ISO are in a directory called ReactOS and the default install directory is also ReactOS. So when I hit enter a cryptic error message came up saying I can't install to the same directory and that I had to reboot. But it didn't actually reboot. So I entered a different name and moved on. Later I get a prompt about installing a boot loader, which I don't want for reasons already mentioned, so I chose to skip it. As a result the FREELDR.INI didn't get updated so I couldn't move ahead to the second phase of the install until I edited it manually to boot ROS instead of the text mode setup program.

Trying to boot the second phase froze at SWENUM. Apparently they have big problems with their USB drivers right now that cause this. A suggested fix is to remove/rename the USB?HCI files in the SYSTEM32\DRIVERS dir. On this laptop, going into the BIOS and disabling legacy USB kb/mouse/floppy emulation also seemed to work. The rest of the install was able to complete then. But the OS doesn't actually work, as it reaches a screen that says "press ctrl-alt-delete to begin" where pressing ctrl-alt-del (or any other keys) does nothing.

Aaaand the ReactOS forum is now unusable as it has captchas on it, so I post my story here instead 😀

Reply 13459 of 27412, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played around with my XT for a while:

xt1.jpg
Filename
xt1.jpg
File size
234.82 KiB
Views
File license
xtboot.jpg
Filename
xtboot.jpg
File size
39.91 KiB
Views
File license
scan1.jpg
Filename
scan1.jpg
File size
47.83 KiB
Views
File license

Then removed the scanner interface to put in a network card, which is way more useful!

hp27245.jpg
Filename
hp27245.jpg
File size
176.1 KiB
Views
File license
landhcp.jpg
Filename
landhcp.jpg
File size
89.2 KiB
Views
File license

Working fine with the mTCP utilities, but had some problems with bobcat, some misconfiguration somewhere...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics