VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by zackoftrades333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, after restarting pc and reloading the configurator, I got this:

An error has occurred while loading the driver's settings. […]
Show full quote

An error has occurred while loading the driver's settings.

Exception reason:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at OmniMIDIConfigurator.Functions.LoadSettings(Form thisform)

Edit: Apparently I got it working but I have to manually run both OmniMIDI and the player as administrator as I'm on a shared computer. Kind of a mess to work with...

Reply 22 of 28, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Badscrew wrote:

Hi, on github I see the message saying that the repo is archived and is in read-only mode?

Looks like it's alive again
https://github.com/KeppySoftware/OmniMIDI/rel … ses/tag/9.0.0.0

Reply 24 of 28, by KaleidonKep99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
t9999clint wrote:

first off, I'd like to say that I really like your driver and use it a lot on the few windows machines I have left.
But well that kind of gets to the main point of my post...
I don't really use Windows anymore, do you have any plans to make a Linux version? and if not, do you know of any Linux equivalent? I've used TIMIDI and Fluidsynth and they're frankly terrible, I've tried looking for something using BASSMIDI but all that came up in my research is yours and Falcosoft's windows projects. Wine works, but It's not a perfect solution.

I was working on a Linux release (For Debian-based distros to be more specific), but the lack of motivation and testers eventually killed the project.

To be fair though, I did a lot of optimizations on the Windows version to make it work properly under Wine. You should give it a try.
You just need to patch all the Windows applications installed in Wine with my Windows Multimedia Wrapper, or else they'll not recognize the driver. Wine doesn't seem to load user-mode drivers...

Badscrew wrote:

Hi, on github I see the message saying that the repo is archived and is in read-only mode?

zackoftrades333 wrote:

Yeah, noticed that to, which sucks cause I keep getting a BEX/BEX64 OmniMIDI.dll error when setting any MIDI player to OmniMIDI, crashing the players, and can't report it now.

Hopefully they reopen it.

You should be able to report the issue now, I had to archive the repo temporarily because of some personal problems, now it's all good.

EDIT: Only now I noticed that there's a second page with messages, oops!

Reply 25 of 28, by Reserve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may seem like a ramble, but its to share as much information as I can about my particular problem...

I've been using a program called Music MasterWorks for about 15 years now. I use version 3.8. I have the installer for 3.94, but don't like the silver UI or the fact that it defaults to showing 4 tracks at once (I only use two track views, one with all tracks together to see the song as a whole, the other for the track I'm working on.) It recently became free to download, with even more UI changes--really horrible ones that clutter the screen. So I haven't even tried to download that.

I just switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home, and found OmniMIDI while looking for the latest version of BASSMIDI, which I was using before. Now the particular version of BASSMIDI that was working best for me, I don't know the version of. The dates are weird: Created October 8th, 2016, Modified December 26th, 2014.

I gave OmniMIDI a try and it was working great for a few days. I had to reset the computer, and ever since then it has a 2-5 second lag when putting a new note down or playing a song. The lag is longer than the default Windows driver. I tried my preferred BASSMIDI installer and that had no lag, but the sound crackles. MUNT has no lag, but I can't change any of the settings (only instruments). And I use Arachno Soundfont mainly, for composing.

I've also tried the Windows Multimedia Wrapper thing, but that just causes Music MasterWorks to close down a few seconds after opening.

I just tried to delete user data to try to reset it to how it worked when I first installed it, and now I'm getting bombarded with Fatal error windows... Which crashed the computer. Luckily Firefox saved this draft! Managed to capture the error window too: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/535538 … 241/unknown.png

Update: VirtualMIDISynth works for my purposes... so I got my preferred program working and I'm happy for now until it breaks again. Still weird that OmniMIDI has that lag though, and I think I'd prefer to use that to sort out my own soundfonts later on! I really was impressed the first few days using it.

Reply 26 of 28, by KaleidonKep99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Reserve wrote:
This may seem like a ramble, but its to share as much information as I can about my particular problem... […]
Show full quote

This may seem like a ramble, but its to share as much information as I can about my particular problem...

I've been using a program called Music MasterWorks for about 15 years now. I use version 3.8. I have the installer for 3.94, but don't like the silver UI or the fact that it defaults to showing 4 tracks at once (I only use two track views, one with all tracks together to see the song as a whole, the other for the track I'm working on.) It recently became free to download, with even more UI changes--really horrible ones that clutter the screen. So I haven't even tried to download that.

I just switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home, and found OmniMIDI while looking for the latest version of BASSMIDI, which I was using before. Now the particular version of BASSMIDI that was working best for me, I don't know the version of. The dates are weird: Created October 8th, 2016, Modified December 26th, 2014.

I gave OmniMIDI a try and it was working great for a few days. I had to reset the computer, and ever since then it has a 2-5 second lag when putting a new note down or playing a song. The lag is longer than the default Windows driver. I tried my preferred BASSMIDI installer and that had no lag, but the sound crackles. MUNT has no lag, but I can't change any of the settings (only instruments). And I use Arachno Soundfont mainly, for composing.

I've also tried the Windows Multimedia Wrapper thing, but that just causes Music MasterWorks to close down a few seconds after opening.

I just tried to delete user data to try to reset it to how it worked when I first installed it, and now I'm getting bombarded with Fatal error windows... Which crashed the computer. Luckily Firefox saved this draft! Managed to capture the error window too: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/535538 … 241/unknown.png

Update: VirtualMIDISynth works for my purposes... so I got my preferred program working and I'm happy for now until it breaks again. Still weird that OmniMIDI has that lag though, and I think I'd prefer to use that to sort out my own soundfonts later on! I really was impressed the first few days using it.

I'd like to know if these issues are still present in the latest version of OmniMIDI. I fixed a lot of bugs, including support for legacy applications such as Music MasterWorks (Which I think makes use of old callbacks which got broke in recent updates, until version 11 got released with all the fixes in place).

I'll also try and get a copy of this program myself, to reproduce the issues.

UPDATE: Ok I see where the issue is.
Apparently the program opens the MIDI device, plays the note, then immediately closes it afterwards. That's why there's a huge delay whenever you place a note, because the driver has to reload all the SoundFonts back to memory all the time.
I'll add a checkbox which forces OM to stay awake even when midiOutClose is called, but I'll only make it work when using WinMMWRP, since it's bad behavior to keep the device active when using the real WinMM.

I also tested the latest version of WinMMWRP (From OM 11), and it seems to work fine.
h2VM4zC.png

Reply 27 of 28, by KaleidonKep99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I added the new feature to OM 11.1.0.1.

Patch Music MasterWorks with the WinMMWRP type BM patch:
7eCL0U7.png

Then to enable the new feature, go to the "Settings" tab and check this checkbox:
Bzh4eY5.png

After that, the driver won't go to sleep anymore once midiOutClose/midiStreamClose is called, allowing you to place as many notes as you want with no delay. (Sort of, there's still a lot of delay of the same amount with all the drivers I tested, even BASSMIDI Driver 4.0...)

REMEMBER TO DISABLE THAT FEATURE ONCE YOU'RE DONE WORKING WITH MUSIC MASTERWORKS!
Keeping it enabled might make other apps act weird.

Download: https://github.com/KeppySoftware/OmniMIDI/rel … es/tag/11.1.0.1

Reply 28 of 28, by Lord Myn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Keppy!

I very like your software, mainly for the native ASIO support (which other sf2 based softsynths don't have). Is it possible in the future that multiple ASIO channel can be selected as output and it can be routed for different MIDI channels? (e.g.: MIDI ch 1,3,4,5 -> ASIO 1, MIDI ch 2,6,7,8,9 -> ASIO 2, MIDI ch 10 -> ASIO 3, etc.)

I'd like this, because I've got an X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard and it has 5 (+4 FX) different ASIO output channel and they can be routed to different outputs and they can have distinct insert FX (so it would transform a basic midi editor software to a poweful DAW via OmniMIDI 😀 ).

BR.