VOGONS

First post, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I installed Windows 3.1 on DOSBox, and after that, I wanted to install Photoshop onto it. There, I encountered two problems:

1) I saw somewhere that I could dump the files from the four floppies into a folder. However, I felt like the only way to do that, given my circumstances (I have an Acer laptop running Windows 10), was to extract the files. However, it looks like that's impossible to do.
2) I also tried mounting all the floppies at once using the proper commands, but that simply resulted in an "image not found" error.

Is there ANY other way to install Photoshop 3.0 on DOSBox? If so, please tell me those ways.

Reply 3 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, I "carried" my Photoshop 3 install across several machine upgrades running Win3.1/95/98 just by copying the files over. I don't remember anything major breaking by not running the installer. Try installing it on something else and then copying the files into your DOSBOX 3.1 virtual machine.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 20, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jlnhlfan wrote:

... 2) I also tried mounting all the floppies at once using the proper commands, but that simply resulted in an "image not found" error. ...

You probably have raw images (winworld?). Try to mount the disks in some win 3.1-drive, usally a:\ Can Win 3.1 (not Win10!) file-manager read them? If yes, you can mount them one by one and copy the content to different folders on c:\. Else, if the install.exe requires them in a disk-drive, you make several drives at once, one for each disk (d:\ e:\ f:\ etc.)

Reply 6 of 20, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
qwe wrote:
jlnhlfan wrote:

... 2) I also tried mounting all the floppies at once using the proper commands, but that simply resulted in an "image not found" error. ...

You probably have raw images (winworld?). Try to mount the disks in some win 3.1-drive, usally a:\ Can Win 3.1 (not Win10!) file-manager read them? If yes, you can mount them one by one and copy the content to different folders on c:\. Else, if the install.exe requires them in a disk-drive, you make several drives at once, one for each disk (d:\ e:\ f:\ etc.)

But install.exe only reads the a:\ drive.

Reply 7 of 20, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

Back in the day, I "carried" my Photoshop 3 install across several machine upgrades running Win3.1/95/98 just by copying the files over. I don't remember anything major breaking by not running the installer. Try installing it on something else and then copying the files into your DOSBOX 3.1 virtual machine.

The only place I could install it where I could copy the fles would be on Windows 10, and it tells me that the image is corrupted, because it can't read floppies.

Reply 8 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
jlnhlfan wrote:

I also tried mounting all the floppies at once using the proper commands

Please list the specific commands you used; let others decide if they were proper or not.

Mounting multiple floppy images on a single drive letter is only supported in current source, so if you're using DOSBox 0.74(-3) then for your purpose you probably need to switch to an SVN build.

Reply 9 of 20, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jlnhlfan wrote:

... But install.exe only reads the a:\ drive.

There are img that apps like 7zip or WinRar can't read, but when mounted in Dosbox, Win 3.1 file-manager can. If this works:

Mount disk 1 to 4 in Win 3.1 on wherever:\ (no matter if in bulk or one by one)
Copy everything to C:\xyz
At last mount C:\xyz as a:\ and here we go...

If this doesn't work (wrong disk id or something):
Mount disk 1 as a:\
Mount disks 2,3,4 as d:\ e:\ f:\
Start install. When Photoshop asks for disk 2, copy the content of d:\ to a:\ and so on.
?

Reply 10 of 20, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Mounting multiple floppy images on a single drive letter is only supported in current source, so if you're using DOSBox 0.74(-3) then for your purpose you probably need to switch to an SVN build.

I was trying to mount multiple drives on the same letter, wondering why it wasn't working. Looks like you found my issue- it was the version of DOSBox I was using.

Reply 11 of 20, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
qwe wrote:
There are img that apps like 7zip or WinRar can't read, but when mounted in Dosbox, Win 3.1 file-manager can. If this works: […]
Show full quote
jlnhlfan wrote:

... But install.exe only reads the a:\ drive.

There are img that apps like 7zip or WinRar can't read, but when mounted in Dosbox, Win 3.1 file-manager can. If this works:

Mount disk 1 to 4 in Win 3.1 on wherever:\ (no matter if in bulk or one by one)
Copy everything to C:\xyz
At last mount C:\xyz as a:\ and here we go...

If this doesn't work (wrong disk id or something):
Mount disk 1 as a:\
Mount disks 2,3,4 as d:\ e:\ f:\
Start install. When Photoshop asks for disk 2, copy the content of d:\ to a:\ and so on.
?

Of course it wasn't as easy as the first step, as it REQUIRED the floppies.
Also, how would I be able to do the second solution?

Reply 12 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Post the EXACT command you're using to mount the floppies that gives an "image not found" error. Also, to clarify, are you trying to mount the actual disks in DOSBox or did you image them with something like WinImage first?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 14 of 20, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jlnhlfan wrote:

imgmount a C:\disk01.img C:\disk02.img C:\disk03.img C:\disk04.img -t floppy

Multiple disks at a time never works. If there is just one file with the same name, like Readme, or the disk.id is overwritten (by disk4) you get a mess. You can switch CD-images with strgF4, but for disks you need different drives for each.

jlnhlfan wrote:

... Also, how would I be able to do the second solution?

Like you do it with all the Windows-stuff: Mount everything in your Win31.conf, then run. All what comes now is done in this instance of Win 3.1, don't exit. The mounts should be in file manager with their files. Run PhotoshopInstall from a:\ When it asks for disk 2 simply switch back to file-manager, copy and paste the files from the mounted volume (in my example above d:\) to a:\ and hit OK. Install will think it's a new disk and proceed, so do you. OK?

Reply 15 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Multiple disk images mounted to one drive letter DOES work with a SVN build. Use one. And are the images on c:\?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 20, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
qwe wrote:

Like you do it with all the Windows-stuff: Mount everything in your Win31.conf, then run. All what comes now is done in this instance of Win 3.1, don't exit. The mounts should be in file manager with their files. Run PhotoshopInstall from a:\ When it asks for disk 2 simply switch back to file-manager, copy and paste the files from the mounted volume (in my example above d:\) to a:\ and hit OK. Install will think it's a new disk and proceed, so do you. OK?

I do not see a file called "Win31.conf" anywhere.

Reply 17 of 20, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Multiple disk images mounted to one drive letter DOES work with a SVN build. Use one. And are the images on c:\?

But I'd have to start my DOSBox journey over and over and over again, since the SVN builds don't have the necessary conf file to automount the C: drive.

Reply 18 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Of course it has a conf file, to which you can quickly copy/paste your autoexec stuff.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 19 of 20, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to confuse you. "win31.conf" is an example, a placeholder for the conf-file you are using to start Win 3.1. You may call it as you like. If you don't know what i'm talking about, maybe you should have a look at the Dosbox manual first.