VOGONS

First post, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good morning,
I have noticed that if resolution is unforced in dgvoodoo 2, refresh rate is 60 hz in my game (I have tried some games like legend of grimrock 2, so blonde, powerslide etc) even with my 144hz display.

Without dgvoodoo2, refresh rate is 144hz in game.

I have found a workaround modifying in .conf file the line "resolution = unforced" with "resolution = unforced, refrate = 144" but if it's possible, I would like any option in dgvoodoocpl.exe.

Reply 2 of 8, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Just type the string 'unforced, 144' into the resolution selector combobox, save the config, and it's done.

Thanks. It works
I have another question.
With 2x, 4x, max FHD, ISF options, refresh rate stay at 60hz and add ", 144" doesn't work.

Have you any solution?

Reply 3 of 8, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure? 2x, 3x, etc. works for me (don't forget to enable 'Enumerate refresh rates' on the Global tab).
For Max FHD and all others with a space in the string, just replace the space with and underscore. So, for example, instead of 'max fhd' type 'max_fhd'.

Reply 4 of 8, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Are you sure? 2x, 3x, etc. works for me (don't forget to enable 'Enumerate refresh rates' on the Global tab).
For Max FHD and all others with a space in the string, just replace the space with and underscore. So, for example, instead of 'max fhd' type 'max_fhd'.

Thanks.
It works.

Last question. Why when I turn on "enumerate refresh rate" option in dgvoodoo control panel, there is no with 2x, 4x, 3x,max fhd etc, with the choice of all refresh rate like with different resolution?

Example:
I have
unforced
2x,
3x,
1920x1080 24hz
1920x1080 60 hz
1920x1080 120hz
1920x1080 144hz
etc

instead of
unforced 24hz
unforced 60 hz
unforced 120hz
unforced 144hz
2x 24hz
2x 60 hz
2x 120hz
2x 144hz
3x 24hz
3x 60 hz
3x 120hz
3x 144hz
1920x1080 24hz
1920x1080 60 hz
1920x1080 120hz
1920x1080 144hz
etc

Reply 5 of 8, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's because not all of the resolutions (supported and enumerated by your videocard) support the same set of refresh rates.
For example, let's suppose 640x480 is only supported at 60Hz and 1280x960 is only at 59Hz.
Dynamic resolutions like '2x' are just multiplying coefficients to the game resolution which isn't known in advance, therefore the concrete refresh rate can be determined only when the game is started and switches screen mode.
In spite of it all, you can still define a refresh rate for dynamic resolutions, hoping (or knowing) that the upscaled display mode supports that one. If not, then it'll be rounded to the nearest supported refresh rate.
Applying this to the mentioned example: if you define '2x, 60Hz' for dgVoodoo, and the game starts at 640x480@60, then the calculcated resolution will be 1280x960@60. But, in reality it'll be 1280x960@59 because that's the only that is supported.

Reply 6 of 8, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
It's because not all of the resolutions (supported and enumerated by your videocard) support the same set of refresh rates. For […]
Show full quote

It's because not all of the resolutions (supported and enumerated by your videocard) support the same set of refresh rates.
For example, let's suppose 640x480 is only supported at 60Hz and 1280x960 is only at 59Hz.
Dynamic resolutions like '2x' are just multiplying coefficients to the game resolution which isn't known in advance, therefore the concrete refresh rate can be determined only when the game is started and switches screen mode.
In spite of it all, you can still define a refresh rate for dynamic resolutions, hoping (or knowing) that the upscaled display mode supports that one. If not, then it'll be rounded to the nearest supported refresh rate.
Applying this to the mentioned example: if you define '2x, 60Hz' for dgVoodoo, and the game starts at 640x480@60, then the calculcated resolution will be 1280x960@60. But, in reality it'll be 1280x960@59 because that's the only that is supported.

Thanks very much.
The problem is that with dynamic resolution or unforced resolution, add refresh rate must be made manually.
A new option box to select refresh rate and another box to select resolution (unforced, 2x, 3x, max fhd, 640x480 etc) would be more easy and efficient than must write manually each time for dynamic resolution or unforced resolution.

I have another question. Why by default, Dgvoodoo 2 switch at 60hz even with a 144hz display? Why dgvoodoo 2 by default don't use the refresh rate used in windows and nvidia driver when no refresh rate is specify in dgvoodoo 2 parameters ?

Reply 7 of 8, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote:

I have another question. Why by default, Dgvoodoo 2 switch at 60hz even with a 144hz display? Why dgvoodoo 2 by default don't use the refresh rate used in windows and nvidia driver when no refresh rate is specify in dgvoodoo 2 parameters ?

The base concept for 60Hz was the fact that it was the most common default refresh rate back in the CRT days (and 60Hz provides the best compatibity).
But anyway, I could modify the default refresh rate to have it coming from GeneralExt\DesktopResolution (which is the current desktop display mode by default).

Reply 8 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nvidia's two options for "Preferred refresh rate" are "Highest available" and "Application-controlled", with the default option being "Highest available". So Nvidia seems to be intentionally overriding application set refresh rates. Who knows if it's because they've figured out it's safe to force refresh rate for all apps, or they just use their compatibility db for exceptions.