VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys. - That was FAST!
Who cares who's first. Confirmation is always valuable.

quicknick wrote:

Hi PCBONEZ, haven't seen you here in a while, welcome back.

Thank you.
I have too much on my plate now to be tinkering with retro things, despite that I got a wild hair and bought a slew of BX, TX and Super-7 based boards over the last few months so here I am again.
The original idea was to pick one or two favorites of each and then liquidate the rest of my collection.
Sometime in the next 2 years I need to move out of State (family matters) and I just have too much of this stuff to take it all.
The problem is... I LOVE MOTHERBOARDS. To me they are ALL special in their own way.
Doing things like culling down to just two Super-7 boards is HARD and the two keepers NEED to be extra special (to me) in some way.

quicknick wrote:

I think the parity jumper just must be set in accordance with the RAM you have installed on board.

I'm hoping that's the case because I've been wanting a board that can use either-or (parity or not) to use as a go-to 30-pin RAM checker.
With a 32MB RAM limit this one isn't ideal for that but it'll work for smaller modules for now. Have a bunch that haven't been checked for a while.

README
From what I can tell the OP's board also has the "DRAM parity check" Enable/Disable jumper.
The question is: Was that in the correct position for the RAM used to test the board?.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-11-29, 03:00. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 41 of 44, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the OP don't have that board anymore ; I have it now 😀

I'll check that soon, but I don't really have any hopes, as it should do something even without RAM.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 42 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Well the OP don't have that board anymore ; I have it now 😀

I guess that would make you the "Other Person".
Which is still an "OP".

Deksor wrote:

I'll check that soon, but I don't really have any hopes, as it should do something even without RAM.

I don't think I've ever seen this chipset and it's been too long to for the old BIOS version.
I dunno what these do without any RAM.

Since mine is still on the bench I pulled the RAM and powered it up to answer that question.
3 long beeps. Pause. Repeat. (Not too surprising.)
On mine If you don't have a speaker attached then you won't see a thing. No internal speaker.
Probably the same with yours. I didn't look.

Next stop...
Put the RAM back and try the jumper in the other position to see what happens that way.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-11-29, 05:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 43 of 44, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it has an AMI bios, so it should act like other AMI bioses and beep when there's no RAM and output some POST codes.

But it never beeped or displayed a POST code (and MMaximus tried a special test ROM which should have shown something, but then again, nothing)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 44 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No RAM = 3 long beeps. Pause. Repeat. (Not too surprising.)

I forgot all about POST Cards.
I have several different kinds but I haven't used one in a long time.

I have parity RAM and the parity jumper position seems to make no difference.
That's to just enter and pass through the BIOS to the "I can't find the FDD" screen.
I don't have any drives on it yet and no non-parity 30-pin handy.
More experimentation will have to wait but now I'm lost as to what that jumper actually does.

I know that's not helping much with your current board.
I'm hoping that info will help some reader with a Forex board later on.

Anyone know a place to read-up on Forex chipsets?