VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a nice frontend, lots of eye-candy. IMHO quite deservedly so - games are fun, a frontend is allowed to be fun as well. But one thing strikes me: The whole thing is terribly non-intuituve. Lots of settings hidden in lots of different fonts, colours, places - if I had to explain to a friend on the phone where he has to click, I'd be unable to ("change memory size." - "where is that?" - "do you see that hard-to-read light-blue-on-medium-blue text at the very top, even above the top banner, where it says 'memory size'?")

I like the artwork and many of the design elements you show, but a little more consistency would be better for new users.

Reply 22 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Moe, as you can see in this image, i make more "readable" the memory text upperside...and some other things

capture_dosbox_frontend3.jpg

Adventur, thanks to you also.... 😁

well...now i finnish the >visual< part for Sound, and now i begin assigning values to config generator....for dosbox.conf file

how does it look?

also added a small KEY for Lock the configuration controls but still not implemented...(perhaps the thing i do is block the SAVE button, no?)

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-03, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

looks better and better 😀
Now if you'd make an extra space where one can save per game settings that would make it perfect (IMHO - that's not everyone's opinion).
What's hidden beneath the Other... buttons?

Also, unless you are using a special build the Dos memory is limited to 64 MB (or is it 63?).

Reply 24 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ahám....okay...top limit to DOS Ram to 64 mb---- ok...i'll change the limits

ah Dominus, the "Emulator Priority" section, have 4 values but really, internally have Pairs values ...for "active task" or "min […]
Show full quote

ah Dominus, the "Emulator Priority" section, have 4 values but really, internally have Pairs values ...for "active task" or "minimized" as this way:

PRIORITY = "highest,normal"; //P. kind 1 (best performance)
PRIORITY = "higher,normal"; //P. kind 2 (good enough performance)
PRIORITY = "normal,lower"; //P. kind 3 (Low CPU use)
PRIORITY = "lower,lower"; //P. kind 4 (Lower CPU use)

yes,...behind Support Button it's some worldtime clocks for know hours in other countries 😜 😁

but no, by the momment it's only buttons to Empty pannels

capture_dosbox_frontend4.jpg

ah, about the Game launcher i'm thinking something like this:
but this part needs the BDE engine for run ...
capture_dosbox_frontend5.jpg

Reply 25 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that's it...now i have SoundBlaster Section running 😀

Midi and Gravis sections finnished....
UMB config option working

Block Config Mode running...the "key" have a right-Button menu, "lock and unlock" that hide or show the Save buttons

- working in Speaker, and other audio settings
- working in auto-installer with support for BDE
- some 'cosmetic' changes....

Note: when you click on "Generate Configuration" the DOSBox Banner changes to a dark blue window, with the 'dosbox.conf' generated file....here advanced users can editting the file, modify and finally push on "Save Config" button for save the file....

after Gravis Section...that i do it's copy from a buffer, the rest of older v0.63 config (only for testing)

here it's a setup....with BDE auto-installer (the Games library section is NOT finnished...don't expect that works....only you can view some game definition names if runs....)

I'm not expertise with auto-installers....is somebody can test it and tell me if works....thanks...

After the installation (C:\BOSDOX folder) you must copy the files to DOSBox FOLDER if you want launch the DOSBox console....but by the momment, better don't test this....only if FrontEnd EXEcutable runs on other systems....

That's fixed version....the other works with bugs...i think this work better...
http://www.cyberscope-station.com/game_dungeon/setup3.zip

Remember...copy:
bosdox.exe ---- juegos.dbf
to DOSBox folder for test the console running...

the Shortcut at program files folder don't work..

Reply 29 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks!....really, when i see the DOSBox console, and cfg file, i say....wow, this NEEDS a FrontEnd for easy change and config....

then i put to it, and really the frontend seems work OK with it....

the FrontEnd is competing in DonationCoder.com website for best utility, (in a big competition of coding) and finally been publish as Freeware/Donationware with source/project files included....(the competitioon ends at July month this summer...

you need this you want rebuild....:

Borland C++ Builder 6 (C++ Compiler)
LMD Tools SE Freeware 6.1 (components library)

Reply 30 of 36, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shed wrote:

thanks!....really, when i see the DOSBox console, and cfg file, i say....wow, this NEEDS a FrontEnd for easy change and config....
)

I wouldn't say that DosBox NEEDS a frontend. It's a program and doesn't have wants or desires. Now for you and for people that want to use a frontend then perhaps a frontend is NEEDED (although I would argue that it's a WANT rather than a NEED).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 31 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah...it's a personal impression ('wow..i need a fast-Way more easily for config' .... .this is that i meant....

i meant that into the "standalone" exe stuff...DOSbox not NEEDS the front-end (literally) but...it's good "tool" for make fast-changes than edit manually the config file....

but...yes...is a WANT more than NEEDS ...thanks for explanation...

😊

Reply 34 of 36, by EverybodyJump

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No offense but this front end is totally hideous. It looks like something a 15 year old put together for a project.

I could (and probably will) slap together a nice clean interface using .NET. A front end isn't the most difficult of things to program. All it is a small catalog program that outputs some text files.

There is no consitency at all in the GUI, and the colors have no sense of scheme or regularity. It's like the author just threw in any widget he could just for the sake of having in there.

It has a familiar appearance ot anyone who's seen the design/art of keymakers and crack programs. Ugly.

I suggest a complete re-write, and perhaps some books on GUI development.

Reply 35 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dominus, DosFreak, El_Pusher and someothers...last capture about the FrontEnd (i put the Vogons Logo, for view the result, a bit more proffesional end product...you know)...for installation just copy the main FrontEnd file to the DOSBox directory where's installed the emulator

Merry Christmas to you all, and keep up the work...i'll review the FrontEnd for 0.72 version but seems no much modifications around that...

DOSBoxCapture.jpg

After Pressing "Generate Config, the CFG file is generated
DOSBoxCapture2.jpg

http://www.dharman-art.com/images/Vogons_DOSBox_FrontEnd.zip