VOGONS

Voodoo graphics mod 4 to 8mb

Topic actions

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some defective voodoo1 's laying around (and voodoo 2's) and would like to try some modding. Especially a voodoo1 mod from 4 to 8mb would be nice. Unfortunately I do not a have a voodoo2 1000 or any other 12chip 12mb voodoo2 laying around to give some donor 1mb chips so I would like to try the option of stacking 512kb voodoo graphics ram chips to get to the 8mb with 16 chips in total.

I have searched a lot but could not find decent photo's on the web how to do this mod. Does anybody have sharp pictures for me?

Or: Any tips on other brands/types of graphics cards that used compatible 1MB edo chips?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 1 of 25, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have really bad photos that were provided by the author of this mod at Falconfly forum long time ago... They are not really useful. But his instructions should be good enough to add the extra RAM.

DIY guide: From 2 to 4 Mb on the TMU Stack RAM chips ontop those 4 allocated to the TMU and solder each pin to the same below ex […]
Show full quote

DIY guide:
From 2 to 4 Mb on the TMU
Stack RAM chips ontop those 4 allocated to the TMU and solder each pin to the same below except pin 14. Connect pin 14 on all 4 piggybacked modules to pin 130 of the TMU through a 22-47 ohm resistor. I only had at hand 100 ohm ones and used those and had no problem.
From 2 to 4 Mb on the FBI
Stack RAM chips ontop those 4 allocated to the FBI and solder each pin to the same below except pin 14. Check with a multimeter where pin 14 on the original modules connect. You should have 2 of them linked to pin 124 of the FBI and the other 2 to pin 125. For the chips piggybacked to those that are wired 124, connect pin 14 to pin 199 on the FBI. For the chips piggybacked to those that are wired 125, connect pin 14 to pin 180 on the FBI. Use 22-47 ohm resistors before FBI. I only had at hand 100 ohm ones and used those and had no problem.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 2 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny, I used a multimeter on a Miro Hiscore3D (4mb TMU) and some Voodoo Rush (4mb frame buffer) to figure out the adress pins on FBI and TMU a while ago to perform the same mod. I haven't ordered the RAM chips yet though. Had I found those instructions I would have saved some time. 😁

Reply 3 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would you even want to do this? 95% of all Voodoo 1 cards had 4 MB. The rest were 6 MB (very few, almost of no importance) and 8 MB (professional use only). Not a single 3dfx game for the Voodoo 1 will make use of extra RAM, some games even have issues on cards with more than 4 MB (which is why even the Voodoo 2 drivers still allowed to limit RAM for certain games). Also, the card will look ugly after such a modification.

Only upgrading a Voodoo 2 from 8 MB to 12 MB makes sense.

Reply 4 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Why would you even want to do this?

Why does a dog lick his balls?
Because he can.

Seriously dude, what's the point in asking a question like that? 😁

derSammler wrote:

Also, the card will look ugly after such a modification.

Only upgrading a Voodoo 2 from 8 MB to 12 MB makes sense.

28v1v4.jpg
Filename
28v1v4.jpg
File size
144.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 25, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks @Havli, I have seen these before but was really hoping for some sharp pics to see what pin is what... I guess I have to go trough some documents to find out the pinouts for the ram and the 3dfx chips..

Any pointers where to look for these?

The card will get ''ugly'' but I don't care. Just want to create the fastest voodoo1 I can produce with these mods as I really love the voodoo1 but finding a real 8mb version is pretty hard and expensive. I have several ''good looking'' v1 cards that work great so making 1 a bit uglier is okay for me, if I can I will use a card that artifacts right now so with a bit of luck I'll make good use of a card that was defective before!

I have a Canopus 6mb version that is really about 15-20 percent faster in 3dmark99 on a p1 233mmx vs a normal 4mb card so more ram can have an impact on performance, don't know about glide. Also I've read that the drivers can make use of the full 8mb so there will be no problems.

If I can find a V2 1000 (with the 1 mb ramchips) would it be a simple ram swap on a voodoo1? Or do I need to hook up some pins to the 3dfx chips also?

Thanx for the input guys!

Reply 6 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While adding more texture memory certainly has some benefit, I doubt that adding more frame buffer memory will help in any significant way.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 25, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't bother modding a Voodoo for the same reasons, that derSammler mentioned. You could directly swap 256K DRAM ICs with 512K DRAM, only on one condition: both FBI and TMU should be able to address more than 2 megs per bank (TMU might comply with such req., not sure about the FBI). Higher density chips are pin compatible, except they have one additional address line, which would be NC on the Voodoo's DRAM pads.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

While adding more texture memory certainly has some benefit, I doubt that adding more frame buffer memory will help in any significant way.

800x600 resolution, yo 🤣

Reply 8 of 25, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is one more option to get 8MB Voodoo Graphics - Skywell Magic 3D Plus https://twitter.com/3Dfx_Aslinger/status/1138 … 4701056/photo/1 I have one of these and by default it comes with 4MB only (half of the positions are empty). So it should be possible to just solder the rest and done. Perhaps some cards are factory-made 8MB... but I am not sure.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

800x600 resolution, yo

Try to downclock Voodoo 2 to 50Mhz and you will see how miserably it struggles to run many games at 800x600. While it's unknown how much Voodoo 2 is better on clock-for-clock basis (without multitexturing), it's safe to assume that Voodoo 1 would be at least slightly worse.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 25, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Try to downclock Voodoo 2 to 50Mhz and you will see how miserably it struggles to run many games at 800x600. While it's unknown how much Voodoo 2 is better on clock-for-clock basis (without multitexturing), it's safe to assume that Voodoo 1 would be at least slightly worse.

Agreed. In my opinion, adding a higher resolution mode support for a Voodoo should be done in order to satisfy one's curiosity than anything else, as you can already feel Voodoo's bottleneck in more demanding games, like Quake @ 640x480 resolution, in systems using 200MHz+ P1 MMX CPU. Though less demanding DX5 era games, might work good enough @ 800x600 resolution, for eg. Twisted Metal 2, Croc, Fighting Force, granted that those support such resolution in glide.

Reply 11 of 25, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

There is one more option to get 8MB Voodoo Graphics - Skywell Magic 3D Plus https://twitter.com/3Dfx_Aslinger/status/1138 … 4701056/photo/1 I have one of these and by default it comes with 4MB only (half of the positions are empty). So it should be possible to just solder the rest and done. Perhaps some cards are factory-made 8MB... but I am not sure.

Yes, skywell made the 8mb versions as well as Quantum3d. So it will work without a doubt and a v1 can address all of the 8mb and drivers are compatible.
Unfortunately in my country I have never come across one of these cards as it would indeed be the simplest to just use a skywell 8mb or add the 4mb myself.

I'm just curious and would like to see if it works on most games and if there is a difference. I know I can just use my v2 etc. but it's not about that. Just like maxing out system memory, overclocks etc. it's just for fun.

Reply 12 of 25, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don’t know about current situation, but couple years ago villagetronic macmagic cards were most easily obtainable among 8mb v1. As i remember, only rd signal recovery needed to make it work on pc

Reply 13 of 25, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

There is a comparison between 4 6 and 8 MB versions on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmSBFVeF3I

The difference in performance is very small, but it's there.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 14 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:
There is a comparison between 4 6 and 8 MB versions on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmSBFVeF3I […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

There is a comparison between 4 6 and 8 MB versions on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmSBFVeF3I

The difference in performance is very small, but it's there.

I have seen this video before and I'm really curious to know wether other 8MB card owners can validate the performance benefit of added frame buffer or if this is a mismeasure. Checking this for myself is actually why I tried to figure out the adress lines on the Voodoo chipset. But then I slacked off again. 🤣
Also can anyone provide a logical explanation for that? I always thought more (not faster) frame buffer memory would only increase possible 3D image size. 😕

Reply 16 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see about half the performance gain in Unreal compared to the video, though that might be due to some setting details.
As soon as you change to 800x600 the fps is lower than 640x480 with a 4 MB V1.

Most of the early glide games work only with a 4 MB V1. Setting environment vars to limit memory helps only in a very few cases. This is also the reason why I use in actual systems 4 MB V1 only.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 17 of 25, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

Most of the early glide games work only with a 4 MB V1. Setting environment vars to limit memory helps only in a very few cases. This is also the reason why I use in actual systems 4 MB V1 only.

Could you elaborate, what games are not care about tmu memory limit sst variable?

Reply 18 of 25, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Anthony
DOS 3dfx games came with a "driver" for the Voodoo1 (sometimes also rush and voodoo2) that "communicates" with the card directly.
For example GTA 1 or the Glide Tomb Raider version.

I dont know if you can "manipulate" any variables in these cases.

Reply 19 of 25, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:
@Anthony DOS 3dfx games came with a "driver" for the Voodoo1 (sometimes also rush and voodoo2) that "communicates" with the card […]
Show full quote

@Anthony
DOS 3dfx games came with a "driver" for the Voodoo1 (sometimes also rush and voodoo2) that "communicates" with the card directly.
For example GTA 1 or the Glide Tomb Raider version.

I dont know if you can "manipulate" any variables in these cases.

just cheked both games, and either of them obeying sst variables according to glide log

seriously, i'd like to see example where 4mb tmu mem will be an issue to run game