VOGONS

First post, by aljares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I want to instal a dos 6.22 on a CF ( 512 mg) over a laptop 386 sx 4 ram and CF ide adapter. floppy dont work

to install dos on a CF , i try on a qemu with fisical acces to CF.

I try to install with floppy images

try 1
normal install , stop on formating can format invaleid format
try 2
delete partition , fidsk create dos primary partition and actived
formact C: formating compled but not boot write

try 3
on a image qemu file work fine and i can isntall easy, may be install on a file and then xcopy to CF , but i can fin copy nothing to the Cf error , retry or fail

CF it is on fat 16
any ideas or trys ? it is my frist time

any help , guides or some will be apreciated

i can not instal fro origina lmachine because floppy dont work

Reply 1 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the second method, try running:

fdisk /mbr
then create the primary partition with fdisk
format c: /s
sys c:

You'd think those would do the same thing, but I've occasionally found I need to run SYS C: anyway, even though Format /s should transfer the system files. Also make sure the 'boot' flag is set on the primary DOS partition.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aljares wrote:

try 3
on a image qemu file work fine and i can isntall easy, may be install on a file and then xcopy to CF , but i can fin copy nothing to the Cf error , retry or

Hi there! #3 isn't bad IMHO.
a) run win32diskimager and image your real cf card
b) use that image in qemu ande install DOS
c) write that image back using win32diskimager
d) install cf card in your laptop.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 8, by aljares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i can install msdos on CF.. but another problem

i put CF on a id CF adapter and .... the bios of the i386 can recognazie the HD , the 0-46 hd can not work and user defined 47 i dont know to configure
any help

Reply 4 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CF accepts pretty much every setting you throw at it. So you can just manually type some almost random numbers in, just don't go over the real size of the CF card.

Also, if you want exact settings for 512MB CF card, the internet is full of this information.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aljares wrote:

OK, solved i put the information i obtain with ranish partition from qemu , but not boot in real hardware

Hi again, my I ask what kind of BIOS is your old computer running ? Award, AMI or Phoenix ?
- If you're lucky, PCem/86Box emulate a machine configuration with the same BIOS.
Using the same BIOS type increases the chances that your HDD image is also bootable on the real thing.

MAZter wrote:

Aljares, why don’t you want to replace the FDD first? Which fdd model?

Good point. I for one had several issues in the past duplicating BIOS settings on emulators.
That's why I often tried to make an old computer's floppy drive working first - partially, at least (say with a custom DOS floppy formatted to 360KB or 720KB).

Edit: Small edits.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//