VOGONS

Reply 13640 of 27412, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote:

It's awesome to see people enjoying old hardware whatever it is so this question is not meant to discourage the enjoyment and pursuit of anyones hobby but I was wondering if I'm alone in feeling that having been of the age to own an Atari 2600 at the time its the one retro platform I have no desire to revisit ever, I'm wondering if the people who are into it are younger than me or simply just had a nostalgia to play with a system they had time appropriately during their youth?

There is only one correct answer. It's quite simple...

https://youtu.be/h4fZcirE9aI

Reply 13641 of 27412, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah if I saw an intellevision or a colecovision on the side of the road I would certainly stop to pick it up, I'd be excited. If I saw an Atari 2600 on fire on the side of the road I wouldn't piss on it to put it out =P.

Reply 13642 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

I've always loved Atari since my childhood days,

You likely know this, but just in case I'll mention the 2004 Atari Flashback 2 is a nice & relatively cheap substitute. Good build, good sticks, and it can be modded to take cartridges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback … ari_Flashback_2

Yeah they sell it here in Brazil. It's almost exactly like the one I had previously. As usual with things here in Brazil, they sell expensive.

But I thought I could do a cheaper one with a raspberry Pi and a custom case to look like an Atari. It's a project for the future, when I have some time.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13643 of 27412, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote:

Yeah if I saw an intellevision or a colecovision on the side of the road I would certainly stop to pick it up, I'd be excited. If I saw an Atari 2600 on fire on the side of the road I wouldn't piss on it to put it out =P.

L-O-L ... although, I gotta say, the homebrew scene has done amazing things with the 2600.

Reply 13644 of 27412, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decided to revisit my attempt at mixing ADPCM on the X68000. I hadn't noticed before that the description on page 303 of Inside X68000 is copypasta from a YM2608 datasheet and is NOT the actual format used by the MSM6258. It says on the previous page that the real format is 不明 (not clear) 🤣.

The correct one seems to be this but with the order of the nibbles swapped: https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/Dialogic_IMA_ADPCM

Reply 13645 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote:

This is possibly the funniest thing I've read on Vogons in a long while.

I never liked the 2600 myself either, by the way. 800XL has a very fond place in my heart though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13647 of 27412, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

...but I was wondering if I'm alone in feeling that having been of the age to own an Atari 2600 at the time its the one retro platform I have no desire to revisit ever, I'm wondering if the people who are into it are younger than me or simply just had a nostalgia to play with a system they had time appropriately during their youth?

Yah. My working-theory is you had to have been a little kid growing up with these. I was a little older, already in the arcades, and the 2600 versions of those games are just unbearably bad.

I was gifted a FB2 in 2004, and it's still mint in the box, in the back of the closet, waiting to be precious to somebody else. Lovely sticks, great style, horrid 'games'.

And I sure can't cast stones -- I /did/ have a Coleco Combat. Loved it. Took it to pieces. Made experimental controllers. Just listened to thoses "rrr-rrr-rrr" motor effects... I'd totally like another one of those to spend time with.

atari stripes.jpg
Filename
atari stripes.jpg
File size
139.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13648 of 27412, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapped the DVD-ROM CD-RW combo drive for a multi DVD drive (burner) on my ThinkPad T42 and cleaned the Cybernet Elite-4i Zero-Footprint-PC up (removed the price sticker and cleaned some of the marker off), will need to do more and fix the chassis as some of the plastic is either missing or there's a crack.

System before the cleaning

UKtpTuLl.jpg

System after the small cleaning

xF3H7Yjl.jpg

Inside

QZITjo6l.jpg

zeQRRj9l.jpg

System specs:
80GB Western Digital
CD-ROM drive
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
2GB DDR
Intel Graphics (yuck)

zHu1jw2l.jpg

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon being installed

AO9D2xdl.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13649 of 27412, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing Dynablaster and Gianasisters with my son today, on this Amiga.

Assembling-06.jpg
Filename
Assembling-06.jpg
File size
349.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13650 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave up on trying to get Windows 98 to behave and on trying to find a perfect browser for that. Instead I am tuning up a Windows 2000 Professional VM and I installed BWC kernel extender just for a modern browser. I will install apps for vanilla win2k that won't make use of BWC, like WinZip 14.5, iTunes 7.3.2. That will retain the vanilla feel. And I will set up a theme for New Moon 28.x / SeaMonkey 2.49.5 that will resemble Netscape 9 so it will be good enough to be my retro VM.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13651 of 27412, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
System after the small cleaning […]
Show full quote

System after the small cleaning

xF3H7Yjl.jpg

Inside

QZITjo6l.jpg

That system looks great. I love that form factor, looks like a modern-style micro computer. Would be excellent for emulating old micro computers. 🤣

Reply 13652 of 27412, by haemogoblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed Star Trek Bridge Commander on my recently built Windows XP gaming rig, then dived in to adding mods which then crashed the darn game! I'd forgotten how picky it was.

Reply 13653 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm on Windows 2000 Professional, theming my New Moon 28.x and SeaMonkey 2.49.5 to look a lot more like Netscape. I just need the original desktop icons (can be PNG, I can make the ICO later) for both 4.x and 9.x versions of Netscape. Themes used are SeaZilla (for SeaMonkey) and Moonscape (For New Moon). For SeaMonkey I had to use another add-on to ignore Seazilla's incompatibility.

Here's what I got so far:

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13655 of 27412, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Atari 2600 was still going strong in the early 1990s. I remember swapping cartridges with friends around that time.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13656 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

The Atari 2600 was still going strong in the early 1990s. I remember swapping cartridges with friends around that time.

I can't say I had that luck. I was still playing Atari 2600 and I had recently been gifted a Phanton System (one of those clone SEGA consoles) when the 90's were beginning. I used to play them with my dad. I never owned a Nintendo console, really.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13657 of 27412, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://bootleggames.fandom.com/wiki/Phantom_System

Brazil used to make everything back in the 1980s. I think they banned importation of foreign computers?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13658 of 27412, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

I remember swapping cartridges with friends around that time.

Cool. Was there a used game scene in local shops, or was it just kid-to-kid among neighbours & schoolmates? Or perhaps a BBS.

I'm remembering here there were a handful of boxed games (like Falcon) at a used bookstore, and otherwise it was try your luck at the thrifts & fleas.

Reply 13659 of 27412, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No just school friends. I got Activision's Tennis that way I remember. One of the best ever games for the platform.

(I don't remember what I traded for it, I think it was Donkey Kong. I definitely got the best of that deal.)

Is this too much voodoo?