VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running 2 different XP machines both using WinXPSP3 with all the most recent official updates. The machines are different in many ways however I believe the most important way that they differ for this question are in video card drivers. One machine Is running an Nvidia ti4200 and the other machine is running a 780ti both through DVI output to my ASUS VS228 monitor. The ti4200 passes 640x480 to the monitor and the aspect ratio is correct at 4:3 while the 780ti will stretch the image to 16:9. I'm sure this must be down to driver versions, is there anything I can do to correct the aspect ratio of that resolution on the 780ti?

Oh also if I set the refresh rate to 75hz then the 780ti also correctly passes the 4:3 aspect ratio but this doesn't help me with games that force 640x480 in 60Hz.

Reply 1 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has to do with display port and DVI, HDMI passing digital signal and the monitor scales wrong.

Get a adapter cable that converts to monitor's analog VGA port from the DVI-D port. This will get around this problem.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it might be the 4200 is running an analog DVI connection and the 780 is running a DVI-D connection and that is the difference? If this is the case how come when I set it to 75hz it does scale correctly? Is that just something to do with the monitor?

Reply 5 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Pretty sure, NV control panel has monitor scaling option, just put that to "no scaling" or "fixed ratio" and you should be good. […]
Show full quote

Pretty sure, NV control panel has monitor scaling option, just put that to "no scaling" or "fixed ratio" and you should be good.
scaling.png

I don't seem to have that option in V368.81 which is the latest driver for XP. Do you think there is a better choice for driver version for the 780ti?

Reply 6 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestion to try the VGA display but I'm looking for a solution to fix this using DVI not by running it through the VGA input. I'll do that at a later date if I have to though.

I know you'd like to see me try this and it will probably work, but it changes the parameters of the question and the nature of the fix I'm looking for. Besides, its a last resort to dig through the rats nest of cables into my switchbox to do this and I'm not going to do that if I don't have to.

Reply 7 of 12, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try using the monitor's OSD to see what resolution it is detecting. That should tell you whether it is the monitor or the video card that is rescaling.

My bet is that the 780ti is doing the rescaling from 640x480 to the monitor's native resolution and that's why the aspect ratio is incorrect. Whereas the 4200 doesn't rescale and in that the case the monitor maintains the correct aspect ratio.

Reply 8 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting the OSD says 656X496 when its 60Hz and 640X480 when at 75Hz.

While the 4200 says 640X480 for both 60 & 75Hz.

Any ideas why its doing that or what it means? Seems like a problem with the profile for that resolution, I'm going to try a previous version.

EDIT X3 : Found a way around this, using 347.88 (Recommended drivers for 780ti by consensus), I can create a custom resolution for 640X480 then when the program runs it is in the correct aspect ratio. However, It will not let me build a custom profile for 32, 16, and 8 bit , it makes me choose a single one, it doesn't take into account bit depth it seems so I can't build the profiles I need to each bit depth....still trying to figure out if im missing something here.

Reply 9 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fun with DVI. You never know what to expect. Cards, monitors, OS and drivers all affect the results.

I picked up an EDID emulator in order to be able to force different monitor profiles. It allows old single link cards to work with my dual link 1440p monitor for example. But it's extraordinarily annoying to try to get the results you want from the scaling of different resolutions. VGA is so much easier.

Reply 10 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Fun with DVI. You never know what to expect. Cards, monitors, OS and drivers all affect the results.

I picked up an EDID emulator in order to be able to force different monitor profiles. It allows old single link cards to work with my dual link 1440p monitor for example. But it's extraordinarily annoying to try to get the results you want from the scaling of different resolutions. VGA is so much easier.

Which one you are using, also what looks like? "EDID emulator"

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote:

Which one you are using, also what looks like? "EDID emulator"

Cheers,

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/ … -Copy~VSEDIDDVI

Reply 12 of 12, by mil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I picked up an EDID emulator in order to be able to force different monitor profiles. It allows old single link cards to work with my dual link 1440p monitor for example.

It might be possible to fix this entirely using software. By extracting the EDID information from the monitor and patching it, or creating an entirely new EDID blob and forcing it to be used. If a good EDID configuration can be found, it may even be possible to modify the EDID in the monitor permanently.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … g-monitor-edids