VOGONS

Reply 13700 of 27413, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
kolderman wrote:

One PC for DOS, one for Win98, one for XP. Trying to wrangle one PC into 2 or more roles is a futile exercise in frustration.

I already have two for DOS (386SX-25 DOS 5.0 and 486SX40 DOS 6.22), three for Windows 9x (P133 Win95, K6-2/500 Win98 and PIII-1200 WinMe) [...]

Looks like you are still missing one nice higher-end 486dx for messing around with Win 3.11. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 13701 of 27413, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Opened up a Sony CDU33A. The power/activity LEDs came loose somehow. Possibly other problems...

large pics of the PCB:
http://www.hyakushiki.net/misc/cdu33a-t.jpg
http://www.hyakushiki.net/misc/cdu33a-b.jpg

Reply 13702 of 27413, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GigAHerZ wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
kolderman wrote:

One PC for DOS, one for Win98, one for XP. Trying to wrangle one PC into 2 or more roles is a futile exercise in frustration.

I already have two for DOS (386SX-25 DOS 5.0 and 486SX40 DOS 6.22), three for Windows 9x (P133 Win95, K6-2/500 Win98 and PIII-1200 WinMe) [...]

Looks like you are still missing one nice higher-end 486dx for messing around with Win 3.11. 😀

To be fair that era is perfectly covered by the P133 Windows 95 PC AFAIC. Still, I am going to build a PC for my daily retrogaming and as a source for DOS video capture, but I can't decide between a 486DX4-100 PCI and a Cyrix mII-266GP - so I may actually have one of those soon as well..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13703 of 27413, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had to repair my 486 as the dual floppy drive was not being detected. Disconnected one end of the floppy cable and sprayed DeoxIt D5 in the pins and did the other side of the cable. Finally gets detected. Also installed Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri on the system. It runs smooth in some cases, other times it stutters. Probably because I'm running the game on an AMD Am5x86-P75 (Evergreen 586) CPU and the game requires a Pentium 60 or higher to get it to run better (if I find a Pentium OverDrive 83 cheap, it'll be installed). Got the game to work on my IBM ThinkPad 380D TFT by remaking the univbe.drv file (video.bat file) and runs smooth as butter.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13704 of 27413, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I can't decide between a 486DX4-100 PCI and a Cyrix mII-266GP - so I may actually have one of those soon as well..

Cyrix all the way baby! It will do so much more.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13705 of 27413, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

486SX40 DOS 6.22

Nice ! I have a 486SX40 board that has been sitting for a long time, how does it run compared to DX40's ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13708 of 27413, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Coincidentally, this is the last CPU I just finished benchmarking in my Super 7 project:

20191218_210655.jpg
Filename
20191218_210655.jpg
File size
201.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13709 of 27413, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Coincidentally, this is the last CPU I just finished benchmarking in my Super 7 project:

20191218_210655.jpg

That reminds me, are there any functional differences between 6x86mx and mII architecture wise? Would be nice if you could look at that in your testing..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13710 of 27413, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think they're two names for the same thing. The BIOS on my P5A-B reports this as a "Cyrix/IBM MII." Unfortunately the only other chip I have in the series is a non-MX 6x86 PR150+ & isn't compatible with this board.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13711 of 27413, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to turn on my 286 and was greeted with silence. Looks like a PSU replacement in the future 🤦

Also tried to harvest IDE connectors from a scrap motherboard using a hot air blower from a plastic welding kit. Result is a bit messy but probably salvagable.

Attachments

• ideconn.JPG
    Filename
    ideconn.JPG
    File size
    265.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13712 of 27413, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
xjas wrote:

20191218_210655.jpg

That reminds me, are there any functional differences between 6x86mx and mII architecture wise? Would be nice if you could look at that in your testing..

The 6x86MX was renamed by Cyrix to MII. I can't remember why. The MII will basically be later revisions (steppings) or the MX

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13713 of 27413, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested a Matrox G200, and ran into a problem people complained about back in the day - the default bus mastering option in the driver causes a hard lockup or BSOD in any 3D game I tried under Win98. Disabling bus mastering fixes the problem under D3D, but makes OpenGL acceleration unavailable. 🤣 And we're back to missing OpenGL, just like 1998 all over again.

I eventually managed to get OpenGL working only after resorting to a OGL->D3D wrapper. The one for Chromatic Mpact works surprisingly well in Quake and Quake2.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 13714 of 27413, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished upgrading my Win 98SE rig to a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA with a Xeon 3230 and a Radeon 9800 Pro/Voodoo 2. I also decided to use an AIO, the Cooler Master ML240P Mirage, which didn't fit in the case I had without taking a hammer to the drive cage up front and only installing one of the fans on the 240mm radiator. However after testing it seems sufficient for the CPU, Idle at 30c, games at 40c, torture test in prime 95 at 52c max. This motherboard seems pretty great and solid so far and I'm enjoying my new semi reverse sleeper 98SE build.

I dual boot with XP and in 3dMark 2001SE I get 22k, which is a big improvement from my old P4 rig.

EDIT: Ordered a slim case fan it's only 10mm thinner but that should be enough to fit. Idle temps currently at 27-33c, will report back temps after installing the second fan on the radiator.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2019-12-21, 17:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13715 of 27413, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 386 has the 504mb disk limit, and I noticed that fdisk would still let me add an extended partition. "That can't work", I thought, but I did it anyway. Well I did get another partition, so that was very successful. The contents of my original partition have turned into scrambled eggs, though.

Reply 13716 of 27413, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Discovered the ide controller is kaput on the IBM Aptiva I picked up, given the CD drive was blown too I expect something has happened here...

Well at least I have a nice mATX case for a future project. 😐

Currently spinning up a custom WinXP installer to get XP on my HP 4320s Probook daily driver alongside Linux. Always find it useful to have a working machine with XP on it.

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 13717 of 27413, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Attachments

• ATARI.STEVIE WONDER.jpg
    Filename
    ATARI.STEVIE WONDER.jpg
    File size
    179.98 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13718 of 27413, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Atari is a great console and a big part of my childhood. However, this advert was incredibly stupid...

Meanwhile: I just did a new Windows 2000 VM. On a fresh vanilla install, I can get to my iPod Nano 1st gen with the latest supported iTunes (7.3.2).
On an install with all the updates and BWC kernel extender, it can't even see the iPod no matter which iTunes version I install. DAFUQ?

I'm confused...

EDIT: I found the culprit. Well, more or less. Something from the official Windows Update or BWC updates broke the USB for iPod Nano. Now comes the hard part, find which package caused it...

EDIT 2: I found the real culprit. It's the Windows 2000 Unofficial Service Pack 5.1 by Gurgelmeyer. Something in it is breaking the iPod connection to the computer/iTunes. When I roll back to an older snapshot (I'm using a VM) without this service pack, it works.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2019-12-22, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13719 of 27413, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CarlHopkinsUK wrote:

Discovered the ide controller is kaput on the IBM Aptiva I picked up, given the CD drive was blown too I expect something has happened here...

Well at least I have a nice mATX case for a future project. 😐

Currently spinning up a custom WinXP installer to get XP on my HP 4320s Probook daily driver alongside Linux. Always find it useful to have a working machine with XP on it.

I thought the same with a similar system, a SIS-chipset based Socket 7 computer. The IDE controller just wouldn't pick anything up - it turned out one of the IDE cables, the one to the CD drive specifically, was in backwards and that stopped both IDE channels from working, hopefully yours might be a similar issue? 😁