Reply 31741 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

It was $3 so I grabbed it.

It was $3 because its possibly a fake. As I recall, these Yamaha chips only come in square packages.

No, the YMF724 is square, the YMF744 is rectangular. It's a genuine Guillemot card. 😒

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31742 of 52352, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alpina wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
alpina wrote:
hello can any body help me with recognize this keyboard please? […]
Show full quote

hello can any body help me with recognize this keyboard please?

3jnn_qx8_ey4r_thumb.jpg

Do you have a higher resolution picture?

It's some rare proprietary keyboard (maybe for a really old word processor system?), that's for sure.

unfortunately no i haven't actually its a picture of an add and i want to make sure if its a rare item and then i will bye that batch . u know?

i think its not a pc keyboard and its belonge to a typewriter or meybe its a vintage apple computer keyboard . what do u think ?

It looks like a keyboard for an IBM wheelwriter typewriter/word processor. It will be buckling spring, but it will have a proprietary interface and layout. There are interface adapters to use some rare old IBM terminal keyboards on a modern PC, so there may be something that will work for this.

Reply 31743 of 52352, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

No, the YMF724 is square, the YMF744 is rectangular.

That's not correct either. The YMF744B can be either square or rectangular, depending on the model.

YMF744B-V
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Yamaha_ymf744b_v.jpg
(rectangular)

YMF744B-R
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … c-2940_orig.jpg
(square)

Reply 31744 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
That's not correct either. The YMF744B can be either square or rectangular, depending on the model. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

No, the YMF724 is square, the YMF744 is rectangular.

That's not correct either. The YMF744B can be either square or rectangular, depending on the model.

YMF744B-V
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Yamaha_ymf744b_v.jpg
(rectangular)

YMF744B-R
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … c-2940_orig.jpg
(square)

I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31747 of 52352, by alpina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like a keyboard for an IBM wheelwriter typewriter/word processor. It will be buckling spring, but it will have a proprietary interface and layout. There are interface adapters to use some rare old IBM terminal keyboards on a modern PC, so there may be something that will work for this.[/quote]

thank for your attention my friend

Reply 31748 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my first post here in a long time, but this warranted a quick post, for sure. 😀

I was checking through some saved eBay searches and for the first time ever I saw a Roland CM-64 for under $300, and it was in the US as well. It was listed for $150 "as is, untested" with free shipping. I offered $100 and the seller accepted it!

It had a ton of scuffs, marks and splotches on it in the pictures and it looked about as bad when I got it. A little scrubbing with a magic eraser though, and now I have this:

20191226_143640 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
20191226_143640 (1280x960).jpg
File size
751.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It is has some dings and dents here and there, but it isn't even yellowed!

I took the bottom panel off and it looks rust-free so it at least hasn't been stored at the bottom of a scrap heap outdoors.

I used a compatible (but not original) power brick I had laying around and it powers on. I don't have any of my retro systems hooked up at the moment (just moved) but I got it running through DOSBox using a Roland UM-ONE and it WORKS! This is fantastic!

I took a peak inside and could just make out the firmware ROM that says 1.00. I've read that there are some quirks with early versions but I can't seem to find a download for a newer version.

Also, when I power it on with a cheap eBay-special 9v 1A (center negative) power brick, the power led flashes a couple times (also makes my headphones thump a little each time) before it powers on fully... so I'm not going to be using that. When using a 9v 1A Roland "ACI" brick from my SC-55 it works fine. The only other one I have available is a 9.5v 1.5A Roland "ACK" brick that came with on of my MT-200s. That extra .5v has me shying away from using it on the CM64 though. Anyone know of a good quality 9v 1.2A (or better) brick with a center negative connector that would be good for one of these old devices? It says to only use an "ACB" 9v 1.2A model. Original Roland bricks these days are about as rare and about half as expensive as the devices themselves though, so quality modern replacement would be nice.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 31749 of 52352, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alpina wrote:

Also, when I power it on with a cheap eBay-special 9v 1A (center negative) power brick, the power led flashes a couple times (also makes my headphones thump a little each time) before it powers on fully... so I'm not going to be using that. When using a 9v 1A Roland "ACI" brick from my SC-55 it works fine. The only other one I have available is a 9.5v 1.5A Roland "ACK" brick that came with on of my MT-200s. That extra .5v has me shying away from using it on the CM64 though. Anyone know of a good quality 9v 1.2A (or better) brick with a center negative connector that would be good for one of these old devices? It says to only use an "ACB" 9v 1.2A model. Original Roland bricks these days are about as rare and about half as expensive as the devices themselves though, so quality modern replacement would be nice.

I strongly suggest the Roland PSB-120/230UK/240A (9V 2.0A, center negative), it is widely available and recommended by Roland for their older devices such as MT-32, CM-32L, SC-55 and so on. The actual model number of the adapter is PSB-1U, but it is sold as PSB-120, PSB-230UK or PSB-240A depending on the region. The only difference is the type of plug on the AC cable, the PSB-1U adapter itself can handle any input voltage in the range 100-240.

Reply 31750 of 52352, by Benetton93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another quick report about my recent pickups. And it'll be my last report in 2019 year.
Videocards this time.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (XFX)
X6Ze18mm.jpg
Not quite retrogaming thing (or rather it'll be borderline retrogaming), but i love this design so much.

nVidia GeForce 4 MX440 (Xpert Vision, PCI)
0xfXfMrm.jpg
Along with ATi Radeon 9200SE this is one of the most powerful PCI graphics card in my collection. I was looking for Riva TNT2 M64 PCI, but i found this thing for very cheap in local internet-market. Amazing, isn't it? 😀

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5465 (Pine PT-5965-27)
AWrs0ucm.jpg
Second videocard with RDRAM in my collection, and first Cirrus Logic with AGP. Looks very small and cute... 😊
Gotta compare it with mine Chromatic Mpact 2.

nVidia Riva TNT (Diamond Viper V550 SDR ATXTV)

mzalgh0m.jpg
First Diamond Multimedia card with Nvidia chip in my collection.

Matrox Millenium P650

Tyf5nhGm.jpg
It's kinda difficult nowadays to find Matrox Parhelia here in Russia. I guess i'll call this addition to my collection "Step 1 to Parhelia".

Happy belated Christmas guys (we in Russia celebrating it on January 7th, so it's not belated for me 😎 ), and Happy New Year, that will be full of retrotech! 😊

My retro PCs:
ZIDA 5STX, PMMX-166, S3 ViRGE/DX, 3Dfx Voodoo 1, Creative CT4830
AOpen AX-34U, P3-1133, GF 3 Ti200, Aureal Vortex 2
Allround 815EPT, P3-800, ASUS V7700TIvx/32M, Creative SB0220 (my first PC from 2001)
ASUS P3B-F for tests
IBM ThinkPad R31

Reply 31751 of 52352, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went a little ebay crazy the last couple of days and ordered a few things.

4 x compactflash to ide adaptors (always need more of these)
Intel Pentium 233MMX
Intel Tualatin Celeron 1.2ghz
AMD Athlon 64X2 4600+ Processor
Asus A8V Deluxe - Socket 939 motherboard
Asus P/I-P55SP4V - Socket 7 AT motherboard
Asus CUV4X - Socket 370 motherboard
Powerleap PL-Neo/T Tualatin adaptor

Locally I also picked up an AMD Socket A system for $20.
specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
ECS K7S5A Pro
2 x 512mb Hynix DDR400
AMD Radeon HD3470
2 x Fujitsu IDE hard drives

Don't know why I bought that AMD machine but I always liked that ECS board and for $20 it was an easy purchase.

Reply 31752 of 52352, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Benetton93 wrote:
Another quick report about my recent pickups. And it'll be my last report in 2019 year. Videocards this time. […]
Show full quote

Another quick report about my recent pickups. And it'll be my last report in 2019 year.
Videocards this time.

0xfXfMrm.jpg
Along with ATi Radeon 9200SE this is one of the most powerful PCI graphics card in my collection. I was looking for Riva TNT2 M64 PCI, but i found this thing for very cheap in local internet-market. Amazing, isn't it? 😀

Nice. These PCI MX440s are all 64bit memory bus only, iirc?
My fastest PCI cards are Geforce 6200 PCI and of course the GT610 PCI, which is actually used daily, I am writing from a server mainboard from 2005 with 32GB DDR1 RAM and utilizing this very card (GT610 PCI).

Reply 31753 of 52352, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slot1 wrote:

Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS XL

ISIS, you say?
So, can it play "Ummaty Qad Laha Fajrun"? 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 31755 of 52352, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Benetton93 wrote on 2019-12-26, 22:01:
Another quick report about my recent pickups. And it'll be my last report in 2019 year. Videocards this time. nVidia GeForce 760 […]
Show full quote

Videocards this time.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (XFX)
X6Ze18mm.jpg
Not quite retrogaming thing (or rather it'll be borderline retrogaming), but i love this design so much.

0xfXfMrm.jpg

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5465 (Pine PT-5965-27)
AWrs0ucm.jpg
Second videocard with RDRAM in my collection, and first Cirrus Logic with AGP. Looks very small and cute... 😊
Gotta compare it with mine Chromatic Mpact 2.

nVidia Riva TNT (Diamond Viper V550 SDR ATXTV)

mzalgh0m.jpg
First Diamond Multimedia card with Nvidia chip in my collection.

Matrox Millenium P650

Tyf5nhGm.jpg
It's kinda difficult nowadays to find Matrox Parhelia here in Russia. I guess i'll call this addition to my collection "Step 1 to Parhelia".

Happy belated Christmas guys (we in Russia celebrating it on January 7th, so it's not belated for me 😎 ), and Happy New Year, that will be full of retrotech! 😊

Hi,
I think I could organize for you an almost new Matrox Parhelia512. I wouldn't want any $$$ for it but instead would be interested in trading it for an interesting ISA Sound Card. Interested?

Reply 31756 of 52352, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up an Asus L8400 laptop.
Tested it quickly and it boots into a Windows 2000 environment but with a few errors.
The bottomcover has cracks around the hinge bases, this needs some TLC and as soon as possible, but for the rest a neat system.
Ordering bottomcase right now together with an UK/US Keyboard to replace the worn German one.
Gonna test the system completely (floppy drive/DVD drive/sound/graphics etc) and then set it up as a windows 98/ME system.
Should make for a nice portable system with hopefully good DOS compatibility.

Reply 31757 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Nokia 918 phone with the car charger and VHS tape (most likely a manual on VHS) and a boxed Timex Sinclair 1000 (Sinclair ZX-81 variant).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31758 of 52352, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pete8475 wrote on 2019-12-27, 03:07:
Locally I also picked up an AMD Socket A system for $20. specs: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ECS K7S5A Pro 2 x 512mb Hynix DDR400 AMD Rad […]
Show full quote

Locally I also picked up an AMD Socket A system for $20.
specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
ECS K7S5A Pro
2 x 512mb Hynix DDR400
AMD Radeon HD3470
2 x Fujitsu IDE hard drives

Don't know why I bought that AMD machine but I always liked that ECS board and for $20 it was an easy purchase.

Good purchase ! The K7S5A is a very good board with good features.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31759 of 52352, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the last week bought two of the NEC dual P5 (should get them tomorrow), assorted processors and co-processors, and a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 motherboard. Sorry no pic's.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun