Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 743, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ATauenis wrote on 2019-12-27, 21:54:

@duga3
It changing only colour scheme, not layout.

Oh. That would be rather difficult I think, dozens of hours of work and never 100% the same as before. But you can change the colors and font size at least 😀

Also, define "layout", perhaps you only mean some small change(s).

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 22 of 743, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, I don't want to complain, but I find the new design makes it rather difficult to read the pages. I feel like there's too much 'noise', too great contrast and not enough alignment of the different elements of the page.

Reply 24 of 743, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't really like it.

The dot pattern don't play well with scrolling on LCDs, I find it way too big now, and also there is a "bug" in ucp.php?mode=login :

vogons issue.gif
Filename
vogons issue.gif
File size
28.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I can't login using that page because my password is 8 characters but it wants it to be 12.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 25 of 743, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't like it. I'm not a fan of those weird aligned lines as style elements which are all over the place now. Looks like a theme from 2005. Also the colors don't fit to each other. blurple with cyan as a highlight/contrast color? Those colors don't really work that well. Is this color theme supposed to be as close to the C64 as it gets or am I missing something here?

I especially don't like that I'm unable to directly access the last pages of certain multipage topics from the topic list. Feels counterintuitive to me.

Last edited by blurks on 2019-12-27, 22:22. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 27 of 743, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this mean it's NOT AMD friendly ?
Are we on the Royal Blue team now ?

Should pick shades of colors that make it easy to read.
These shades of colors are not easy on the eyes.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-12-27, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:12:

I don't like it. I'm not a fan of those weird aligned lines as style elements which are all over the place now. Looks like a theme from 2005.

I really like those elements. Like I said in the other thread, it gives this site a retro look and reminds me of old times, which is exactly what this website is all about! 😀

Dotted lines and not quite complete rectangles - it somehow feels familiar. Like I'm in an operating system from the early 2000's, with a bit more purple added into it.

I also don't have any problems with the dotted background on my LCD screen, but I can imagine cheaper panels with a weird refresh rate can go into seizure mode while scrolling.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 29 of 743, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:25:

I also don't have any problems with the dotted background on my LCD screen, but I can imagine cheaper panels with a weird refresh rate can go into seizure mode while scrolling.

I have the best LCD panel manufactured and it doesn't like the dithering, my guess is the cheaper innacurate panels dont have a problem with it.

Reply 31 of 743, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a fan of the "lines" everywhere, but the background makes me think of the C64. Surprised the theme isn't more like a C64.

also at long last my forum cookies have expired and I had to frantically dig around my logins to figure out how to re-sign on.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 32 of 743, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

unknown.png

With these settings, it feels familiar.
Can we have an "even smaller" option? As well as for the icons and buttons. That would be splendid.

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2019-12-27, 22:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 34 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:27:

I have the best LCD panel manufactured and it doesn't like the dithering, my guess is the cheaper innacurate panels dont have a problem with it.

I have a HP LP2475W, which is especially made for graphic designers and has 100% Adobe RGB support. Nothing looks out of the ordinary when scrolling.

The problem is that some panels are probably not refreshing between the shade of dark purple and black fast enough so they're flickering.
It might also depend on the eyes - same reason why some people can see rainbow effects on DLP projectors.

Either way, it's bad on some screens and should probably be removed or made optional.

Edit: Now I see what you mean. It's really hardcore on the gray theme. I think the background dots are simply too dark and interfere with the text too much.

Last edited by schmatzler on 2019-12-27, 22:42. Edited 1 time in total.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 35 of 743, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah that would be nice, because "small" is currently just slightly smaller 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 36 of 743, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:30:

Not a fan of the "lines" everywhere, but the background makes me think of the C64. Surprised the theme isn't more like a C64.

Personally, it reminds me of the blue/white colour scheme of the monitor program of my Sharp MZ-700 that I had got when I was little.

Edit: Just noticed the attachment is not visible to visitors/people not logged in. 🙁
Anyway, the colour scheme also reminds me a bit of Commodore 65 prototype(s) and MSX platform.

Attachments

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-12-27, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 38 of 743, by Mr.Blade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I generally like the idea of some retro-touch, but this colour schema / theming is pure eye cancer. Maybe some "modern retro" would be the right direction.

Thanks anyway for this great platform.

Banner01_Small.jpg

Reply 39 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try the oldskool theme in your options. I like that more

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper