VOGONS

Dual CPU system

Topic actions

First post, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, mates!

Currently, I have a build with a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Northwood (socket 478) and another build with a Athlon XP 3200 (socket 462).

It's a good competition, don't you agree?

I found, another day, a Supermicro X5DAL-TG2, which works with dual socket 604 processors.

It's cheap and I can buy it.

I"m thinking in use 2x Xeon 3.06Ghz Gallatin processors, which is cheap stuff too.

And the question is:

A build like this, with dual xeons, can do better in 3DMark01/3DMark03 than the builds with the processors that I mentioned in the beginning of the post?

I searched a little bit and, at this moment, I think the question is "no", cause this benchmark is not optimized for this dual processors.

And sorry for my english, which is not good enough!

Thank You!!!

Reply 3 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If what you want is a server for NT based or for XP verses something to play old games on 603/604 were power hogs for their performance level and 771 would do you better.
771 CPUs and even FBDIMM are cheap now. Some mobos too.
Server based boards usually have cruddy options for video/sound because servers don't need them.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 27, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2019-12-30, 22:29:

If you use Win9x/ME, you are limited to a single CPU/core anyway.

Also, what's the point in building a system only to get higher scores in 3DMark01/3DMark03?

Windows XP for this build. Answering your question, I really like to test old builds with 3DMark01/03. Thank you!

Reply 6 of 27, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-30, 23:12:
If what you want is a server for NT based or for XP verses something to play old games on 603/604 were power hogs for their perf […]
Show full quote

If what you want is a server for NT based or for XP verses something to play old games on 603/604 were power hogs for their performance level and 771 would do you better.
771 CPUs and even FBDIMM are cheap now. Some mobos too.
Server based boards usually have cruddy options for video/sound because servers don't need them.

Hi, PCBONEZ!!!!

As I explained, I have one build with a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2Ghz and an Athlon XP Barton 3200.

The first was launched at Q1' 03 and the second was at Q2' 03.

I like to see the differences between the 2 builds in benchmarks and applications.

You asked If I want a server.

No, not exactly.

I would want any PC, server or not, from the same era, with a dual socket, If this build could beat the other 2 builds in games of 2002-2005 and 3DMark01/03.

Looks like the answer is "no", for the reasons explained above.

And about the 771 based build, I don't want at this moment, cause it's not so old like 478 or 462.

I already have 2 775 builds too. One with a Q6700 and the other with a Q9650.

It's 2 quad core builds...

Thank ya!!

Reply 7 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm disappointed in you guys. "Why bother? What's the point?"
Because it's fun.
This entire website is dedicated to building old rigs for fun and these questions still turn up? Shame.
The 2x Xeon 3.06 will do much better than those systems.

Reply 8 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two Gallatins will give you four threads I believe, but as others have said, this will mean nothing to most period software. I would expect a system with multiple 3.06 GHz Netburst Xeons to perform the same as a system with a single 3.06 GHZ Pentium 4.

The only difference will be your power bill.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2019-12-31, 05:27:
I'm disappointed in you guys. "Why bother? What's the point?" Because it's fun. This entire website is dedicated to building old […]
Show full quote

I'm disappointed in you guys. "Why bother? What's the point?"
Because it's fun.
This entire website is dedicated to building old rigs for fun and these questions still turn up? Shame.
The 2x Xeon 3.06 will do much better than those systems.

Well here's another one - why ask then? If you want to do it, do it. It's your time and money.

Reply 10 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually did something similar a few years ago.

System 1: Socket 775 3.6 GHz Prescott Pentium 4, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 32-bit and GeForce GT 610 (512 MB)
System 2: Dual Socket 604 3.6 GHz Irwindale Xeons, 12 GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit and GeForce GT 730 (1 GB)

All three CPUs have the same CPUID (0F4Ah) and stepping (R0)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2019-12-31, 05:44:

Well here's another one - why ask then?

Are you serious? Why ask people about retro computing on a retro computing forum?
I'm certain that he wasn't looking for advice on how NOT to build a retro rig.
It's like telling you that Gateway computers suck and it's pointless to buy them.
I expected as much from derSammler because that's his usual condescending style but not from you.

Reply 12 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gabimor wrote on 2019-12-31, 00:30:
And about the 771 based build, I don't want at this moment, cause it's not so old like 478 or 462. […]
Show full quote

And about the 771 based build, I don't want at this moment, cause it's not so old like 478 or 462.

Thank ya!!

771 corresponds to 775 the same way 603/604 do to 423/478.

If you are going 603/604 make sure to study the heatsink mounting.
It's weird on most of them. Sometimes heatsinks are hard to find cheap with a fan.
A fan is a must if you aren't using a server chassis that has serious chassis fans to blow on the heatsinks.
Some later 604 have more normal heatsinks (that have screws) and look just like the common 771 but they aren't.
The lengths of the screws and screw standoffs are different. I've forgotten which one is taller.
[Edit - Add]
The newer 604 and 771 heatsinks required plates under the board.
IIRC the 604 has different threads on the screws from 771 so the plates aren't interchangeable either.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-12-31, 07:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 27, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-31, 07:14:
771 corresponds to 775 the same way 603/604 do to 423/478. […]
Show full quote
gabimor wrote on 2019-12-31, 00:30:
And about the 771 based build, I don't want at this moment, cause it's not so old like 478 or 462. […]
Show full quote

Thank ya!!

771 corresponds to 775 the same way 603/604 do to 423/478.

If you are going 603/604 make sure to study the heatsink mounting.
It's weird on most of them. Sometimes heatsinks are hard to find cheap with a fan.
A fan is a must if you aren't using a server chassis that has serious chassis fans to blow on the heatsinks.
Some later 604 have more normal heatsinks (that have screws) and look just like the common 771 but they aren't.
The lengths of the screws and screw standoffs are different. I've forgotten which one is taller.

I used this for reference when I did my dual socket 604 build. It explains the different sockets and heat sinks quite well. https://www.orbitmicro.com/support/resources/ … _heatsinks.html

Reply 14 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2019-12-31, 06:02:
Are you serious? Why ask people about retro computing on a retro computing forum? I'm certain that he wasn't looking for advice […]
Show full quote

Are you serious? Why ask people about retro computing on a retro computing forum?
It's like telling you that Gateway computers suck and it's pointless to buy them.
I expected as much from derSammler because that's his usual condescending style but not from you.

No-one is being condescending. But when you come to a forum, ask a question, then complain the answer isn't what you wanted...I don't know what else to tell you. I honestly think playing around with early 2000s server equipment is a pointless exercise with little/no merit whatsoever, especially if your interest is 3D gaming from that era. I don't think it's wrong to steer people away from pointless activities. But if he wants to...go right ahead.

Reply 15 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2019-12-31, 08:12:
Are you serious? Why ask people about retro computing on a retro computing forum? I'm certain that he wasn't looking for advice […]
Show full quote

No-one is being condescending. But when you come to a forum, ask a question, then complain the answer isn't what you wanted...I don't know what else to tell you. I honestly think playing around with early 2000s server equipment is a pointless exercise with little/no merit whatsoever, especially if your interest is 3D gaming from that era. I don't think it's wrong to steer people away from pointless activities. But if he wants to...go right ahead.

Guess what. Not every build is for games.

You didn't try to answer the OP's questions or to figure what he's doing.
You just said "I wouldn't do that" and left.

The title is "Dual CPU System".
If you aren't interested in the topic then why did you post in it at all?

Reply 16 of 27, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2019-12-31, 08:12:
Show full quote

You didn't give an answer, just told him not to try doing it because no games make use of it. So yes that is condenscending, blasting an opinion without even answering his question. He didn't ask anything about games but instead about benchmarking.
If he wants to try the dual cpu route with 603/604/771 then let him, I am doing 2 builds too with those parts. It is not more usefull then a newer quadcore/hexacore/octocore build but still fun to see how much performance you can get from it! And as far as I can tell those benchmarks won't profit much from it, to stay on topic.

Reply 17 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gaming excuse to run a SMP system
quake3 SMP-scaling thread…

Don't listen to the majority, come join us over in the duel socket master race 😉
If it's cheap grab it. Even after you have finished messing around with the fact it has a 2nd CPU the only side effect you will actually notice is the the power bill

Reply 18 of 27, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried to ask:

"What's the gaming performance of a dual Gallatin 3.06Ghz build (Supermicro X5DAL-TG2), compared to a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2Ghz build, or an Athlon Barton XP 3200+ build, considering games or benchmarks from 2002-2004 era?"

You all answered this question, and I aprecciate your answers.

derSammler asked: "What's the point?"

I have x11 builds and spare parts for all of them x1 Socket 370 builds, x1 478 build, x1 462 build, x1 939 build, x2 775 build, x2 AM3, x1 1155 build, x1 AM4 build and x1 AM1 build.

About old systems, I have x4 socket 462 mobos, x5 socket 370 mobos, x3 478 mobos and about x15 AGP graphics cards.

The processors are: P3 1400-S (462), P4 NW 3.2GHz (478) and XP Barton 3200+ (462).

One possible cpu upgrade for these builds, should be a Presshot in the place of the Northwood, but I won't do it, cause of the heat.

I think it's really cool to compare the gaming performance of the builds and the parts....

And it's better to compare the performance of builds and the parts, OF THE SAME ERA.

In the last week, as I always do, I was searching for parts and found a Supermicro X5DAL-TG2 mobo.

Then I searched for good socket 604 processors, which is very easy to find. It's cheap too.

So, I asked myself:

"Do the dual socket 604 build can beat the P4 NW 3.2GHz (478) and XP Barton 3200+ (462) builds?"

As is hard to compare the gaming performance of the builds with 9,10 or 20 games, I compare with 3DMark01/3Dmark03, which, everyone knows, doesn't always reflect the reality, but it's a good tool to comparisons.

So, this is my point, but you can disagree.

If you search around in VOGONS, there are many threads where people compare processors, graphics cards....

If I build a system with server parts and beat, with a great gap, the 468 and 462 builds in games:

Is it cool, or not?

But before buying the parts, I'm asking you about the expected peformance, cause, If the answers were negative, I can forget the idea.

Right now, I think the performance will be the same of the P4 NW 3.2GHz (478) and XP Barton 3200+ (462) builds, so I won't buy the server parts./b]

Thank you, guys!!!!

Reply 19 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-31, 08:37:

Guess what. Not every build is for games.

Indeed.

I built a dual P3 system with 1 gig of RAM and used it to see what Windows NT (3.51 and 4) as well as Solaris 8 were like with obscene (for the time) hardware. I everything on hand and figured "Why not?". It was hilarious running operating systems that were quite hefty in their time with instantaneous response. However, I didn't require or want to run any games, so I didn't.

It was an interesting confirmation of Wirth's Law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder