VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all, I'm trying to identify an old television from the 1980s.

When I was a kid I had a rich friend who had a HUGE television. Really huge - it was taller than us and took up nearly the whole wall. I would guess the screen was about a meter tall and more than that wide. (It would have been 4:3 of course.) I think it had a wood effect exterior case.

The image was kind of fuzzy close up, so I assume it had a regular sized CRT inside with some kind of internal optical image projection/enlargement system. I think the screen wasn't glass but some kind of transparent plastic.

I assume it would have been made in the mid 80s but it may have been 1970s vintage.

Unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer.

Does anyone have any idea what this could have been?

Last edited by Errius on 2019-12-31, 01:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 1 of 8, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it was that big in the 80s it was most definitely a rear projection TV and they were known to have a "fuzzy" image. There were many manufacturers of rear projection TVs in the 80s so hard to say from your description.

Reply 2 of 8, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2019-12-31, 01:18:

Does anyone have any idea what this could have been?

Expensive.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 8, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My neighbor had a front projection TV when I was really little. I remember it had a large slightly curved screen against the wall, and a protruding stand with RGB CRT projectors in front, pointing up at a slight angle. It was awesome. And kind of dim. They had to put tin foil on the sliding glass door in the living room. (Classy!)

Speaking of projection TVs - anyone know if those work with light guns? I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t, but I’ve never known anyone who has tried.