VOGONS

First post, by sir_murr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I have been searching for the answer to this problem. I've recently learned about running windows 3.1 in Dosbox, and I have that set up. I am trying to run Amazon Trail, which I have the CD-Rom for. I can get as far as the Mecc intro screen then it tells me I need to insert the disc. Obviously it won't recognize the disk in the drive in the virtual environment, so how do I get around that? I'm fairly new at this and appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Reply 2 of 3, by sir_murr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-01-09, 04:57:

You can mount physical CDs using the "-t cdrom" option.

Thank you, i'm reading in a dosbox manual how to do that and i'll admit i'm not quite understanding this. Would you happen to have any further insight? I'm pretty new at this. my drive is d:, i'm just not sure how that translates. "mount d d:-? cdrom" what number do i use? "switch"?

Thanks again for your time!!

"CD-ROM: My CD-ROM doesn't work.
To mount your CD-ROM in DOSBox you have to specify some additional options when mounting the CD-ROM.
To enable CD-ROM support (includes MSCDEX) in Windows:
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom

In some cases you might want to use a different CD-ROM interface, for example if CD audio does not work:
To enable SDL-support (does not include low-level CD access!):
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl
To enable ioctl access using digital audio extraction for CD audio (windows-only, useful for Vista):
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -ioctl_dx
To enable ioctl access using MCI for CD audio (windows-only):
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -ioctl_mci
To force ioctl-only access (windows-only):
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -ioctl_dio
To enable low-level aspi-support (win98 with aspi-layer installed):
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -aspi

explanation:
- d driveletter you will get in DOSBox (d is the best, don't change it!)
- f:\ location of CD-ROM on your PC. In most cases it will be d:\ or e:\
- 0 The number of the CD-ROM drive, reported by "mount -cd"
(note that this value is only needed when using SDL for CD audio, otherwise it is ignored)
See also the next question: The game/application can't find its CD-ROM.

CD-ROM: The game/application can't find its CD-ROM
Be sure to mount the CD-ROM with -t cdrom switch, this will enable the MSCDEX interface required by DOS games to interface with CD-ROMs. Also try adding the correct label (-label LABEL) to the mount command, where LABEL is the CD-label (volume ID) of the CD-ROM. Under Windows you can specify -ioctl, -aspi or -noioctl. Look at the description of the mount command in Section 4: "Internal programs" for their meaning and the additional audio-CD related options -ioctl_dx, -ioctl_mci, -ioctl_dio. Try creating a CD-ROM image (preferably CUE/BIN pair) and use the DOSBox's internal IMGMOUNT tool to mount the image (the CUE sheet). This enables very good low-level CD-ROM support on any operating system.

Reply 3 of 3, by sir_murr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-01-09, 04:57:

You can mount physical CDs using the "-t cdrom" option.

Apologies for the double post, i just mounted d:\ directly and it worked. Thank you very much, I will be taking my 5 year old twins to help rescue the Inca people when I get home from work! You've made my day!!