Reply 400 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tertz wrote on 2020-01-08, 00:29:

at least Qbix's avatar was not changed
*sigh*

And the whole world collectively sighed in relief..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 402 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, looks like a bug. It should list "To" not "by"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 403 of 743, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-08, 17:25:

Yes, looks like a bug. It should list "To" not "by"

Simple renaming will not help, as it really shows the nickname of the author of the message. Futhermore, when I click on one of my sent PM's to open it, the recipient is again nowhere to be found. It makes two bugs: one on the PM list page, and one on the PM page.

Reply 404 of 743, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2020-01-08, 06:43:
VileR wrote on 2020-01-07, 21:03:
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-07, 10:53:

Actually yes and no. VOGONS stands for "ver old games on new systems".

That reminds me: in the previous design the acronym was explained, over the logo if not elsewhere.
But after the update, the "Very Old Games On New Systems" tagline doesn't exist anywhere, as far as I can see... so newcomers (who are mostly here for retro systems) are only going to be more confused about what VOGONS stands for. 😉

Yeah, I don't like that change. #HISTORY

The new logo is cool and fitting, but I also miss the old one. The rounded "v" always looked like a heart to me.
Maybe it is possible to keep a copy of the old one somewhere one a sub page, say under "contact us" or similar ?
Also, maybe it would be possible to make a "hover" effect, so that "very old games on new systems" appears if the mouse crosses the new logo ?
Anyway, these are just ideas. Alternatively, an additional FAQ page may cover all of that, as well. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 406 of 743, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Drifter82 wrote on 2020-01-09, 04:00:

Is this a Joaquin Phoenix 'I'm still here' type deal?

I'm half expecting little dancing hip hop emoji's to start scrolling sideways across the screen any minute now.

That’s you, drops of water and you’re on top of the mountain of success. But one day you start sliding down the mountain and you think wait a minute; I’m a mountain top water drop. I don’t belong in this valley, this river, this low dark ocean with all these drops of water. Then one day it gets hot and you slowly evaporate into air, way up, higher than any mountain top, all the way to the heavens. Then you understand that it was at your lowest that you were closest to God. Life’s a journey that goes round and round and the end is closest to the beginning. So if it’s change you need, relish the journey.

- Edward James Olmos talking to Snover

I actually think Snover's dealing with the transition well. Hopefully his to-do list isn't getting overly massive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 407 of 743, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don’t like it.

It does not work well with my iPad.

The buttons don’t always work.
This Java stuff does not always work.

I think you should go back to the “search box field.”

Reply 410 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going to say the same thing. The threads underneath the topic does show which thread it's assigned to. I don't mind that the site is wider than before, and that's a good thing because I had to scroll down pretty darn quick to get to the next set of replies to the topic.

I miss the page count and the link to the page(s) at the new/active/your posts sections, including when opening up a section (example: General Old Hardware).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 412 of 743, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Accessing the site via a phone is my only option ATM and where previously I wouldn’t bother, the experience with the new site is great.

Thanks again Snover for your efforts.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 413 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2020-01-09, 21:28:

Accessing the site via a phone is my only option ATM and where previously I wouldn’t bother, the experience with the new site is great.

Thanks again Snover for your efforts.

I agree, the new site is a joy to use on a phone after some minor tweaks (small font size, small line spacing and Old Skool theme). I REALLY appreciate how much better it is to navigate on a phone, something I have to do A LOT during work days.

Reply 414 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't find it any easier to use on my phone tbh, the old one had more things easily accessible, but as I have previously said, I have absolutely no issue with quickly using pinch-to-zoom and scrolling on desktop oriented sites on my phone, I do prefer that on a lot of sites tbh because mobile versions tend to limit functionality a lot sometimes, and make navigating cumbersome by having to click through several pages instead of having it all easily accessible on one.

I do have some issues with the site on my phone though as I mentioned in the bugs thread.

Reply 415 of 743, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also would be nice if "review history" was just displayed under the post field like it was before instead of a button you must click back and forth on. Sorry if already mentioned.

Reply 417 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dada wrote on 2020-01-10, 12:56:

What a shame this new design is not a joke.

What a shame this post is not a joke.

Reply 418 of 743, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for being a little too flippant there. That's not cool of me and I shouldn't have said that. It's just a bit of a shock. I'll need to get used to it. It's not bad, it's just...everything is so big now. I liked how neat and compact everything used to be. Nos there's so many frills around everything. Everything looks so complicated.

Reply 419 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dada wrote on 2020-01-10, 13:36:

Sorry for being a little too flippant there. That's not cool of me and I shouldn't have said that. It's just a bit of a shock. I'll need to get used to it. It's not bad, it's just...everything is so big now. I liked how neat and compact everything used to be. Nos there's so many frills around everything. Everything looks so complicated.

Try going into your settings and under Display changing font size to small and line spacing to small. It really helps. I also feel Old Skool theme really helps with the look as well.