Common searches

Why don’t PC parts work in a Mac ?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 69, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I think there's a difference between BSD, Linux and Unix.
Or at least, there was. Even though it is (was) only a philosophical one rather than a technical one.
The classic Unix (System V and before) was not made by hipsters, nerds, hackers or computer freaks (no offense!),
but rather computer enthusiasts/engineers that were both playful and serious (no grumpy old men, either).
If you look at early Unix handbooks, you'll notice that most things are sane or at least, make sense (like K&R C did).
There are no alpha-numeric revision numbers with 10 digits, as found in GNU/Linux. 😉
Last, but not least, Unix authors are/were capable of communicatiion through human speech,
ie. they could form complete sentences, not just write down incomplete notes as found in modern C++ source code.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 69, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-09, 06:22:
https://i.imgflip.com/3llgrw.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-07, 15:06:

Today, the Apple ecosystem is dominating the computer industry

3llgrw.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

We made them drink poison last night and Tim Cooks's engineers and his great Apple stores gave the Android owners a lesson which will not be forgotten by history. Truly.

Today we slaughtered them in the Best Buy. They are out of the east side Best Buy. The force that was in the Best Buy, this force was destroyed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 42 of 69, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:07:
jmarsh wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:00:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-09, 14:48:

Faster at doing what? Rendering videos?

They fly faster through the air when you throw them (up to a point; the macbook's mass gives them advantage when combined with gravity).

Physics 101: v=a.t

Mass has nothing to do with falling speed 😉

It does in a fluid.

Reply 43 of 69, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-01-09, 13:57:

According to Steve Jobs himself, the reason was simply because PowerPC couldn't keep up with intel in performance and power consumption. Makes sense, that was the impression we all had at that time.

It was also a market neither IBM nor Freescale were heavily invested in. Most of their design work was oriented around lower power embedded chips or high performance server systems where the thermal constraints are less... constraining.

Reply 44 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-01-09, 20:13:
Personally, I think there's a difference between BSD, Linux and Unix. Or at least, there was. Even though it is (was) only a phi […]
Show full quote

Or at least, there was. Even though it is (was) only a philosophical one rather than a technical one.
The classic Unix (System V and before) was not made by hipsters, nerds, hackers or computer freaks (no offense!),
but rather computer enthusiasts/engineers that were both playful and serious (no grumpy old men, either).
If you look at early Unix handbooks, you'll notice that most things are sane or at least, make sense (like K&R C did).
There are no alpha-numeric revision numbers with 10 digits, as found in GNU/Linux. 😉
Last, but not least, Unix authors are/were capable of communicatiion through human speech,
ie. they could form complete sentences, not just write down incomplete notes as found in modern C++ source code.

As a casual user I don't really care as long as the software works as intended.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 45 of 69, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-01-09, 20:13:
Personally, I think there's a difference between BSD, Linux and Unix. Or at least, there was. Even though it is (was) only a phi […]
Show full quote

I really think this strange view of the Linux development community as unprofessional, nerdy, whimsical nutjobs is as tired and old as the Micro$oft bullshit.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 46 of 69, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BSD are just another version of Unix, on the same level as MacOS-X is another version of Unix.

That said....
I have been running Linux full time since 2016, and as a standard user, I actually see no disadvantage with Linux, when I compare it with Win10. And NO, I do not game on Linux, so that is not my argument point. I get things done faster on my Linux installation, than I would get things done on Win10. I find it more natural to change settings on Linux, than on Windows10. I can find things faster on my Linux installation, than compared to a Windows10 installation. I work as a non paid volunter at a recycling center, and the machine I use for work at that place have Windows10 installed on it. Basically. Yes, my Linux installation is just as good as Windows7, yet Windows10 is kind of destroying the natural flow of work for me. However, I do understand that there are some people that are so used to Windows10, that they can not use anything else. And we find the same kind of people in the Apple camp. Basically, I can only speak from my own computing experience here.

I am using Ubuntu Mate.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 47 of 69, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I switched to OS X around a year after Windows 7 came out. Mainly because I wanted to move away from Windows and have a more Linux like machine. However at that time my adventures into Linux were not fruitful and as I became invested into the Apple environment it felt natural to move there. Ever since they had switched to intel I was toying with the idea (that was about two years after their intel switch, I think). And yes, I fell in love with the all-in-one iMac. I had enough of building my own PC and running into all kind of problems, not to mention the quietness of the iMac was a bliss.
And I don't miss Windows at all anymore. At first there was of course an adjustment time. And I'm still using Windows (several versions) in VMs.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 48 of 69, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My main PC is a Windows 10 box due to being a gaming PC at the same time but my main OS is Linux under virtualization. I use Lubuntu in virtual machines at home and at work, and my personal laptop runs on Linux Mint. I'm happy with the setup.

Reply 49 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-10, 13:27:

I switched to OS X around a year after Windows 7 came out. Mainly because I wanted to move away from Windows and have a more Linux like machine. However at that time my adventures into Linux were not fruitful and as I became invested into the Apple environment it felt natural to move there. Ever since they had switched to intel I was toying with the idea (that was about two years after their intel switch, I think). And yes, I fell in love with the all-in-one iMac. I had enough of building my own PC and running into all kind of problems, not to mention the quietness of the iMac was a bliss.
And I don't miss Windows at all anymore. At first there was of course an adjustment time. And I'm still using Windows (several versions) in VMs.

I went the same route, same way you did. It was 2010, and my sim racing online career was pretty much done after 5 years and I had moved to amateur indoor karting championships. I got a 2010 13" MBP following recommendations from a close friend, and since then I never looked back at Windows. To be fair, first time I used the MBP I still had a Windows bootcamp, but after one month I never used the bootcamp again and had fully moved to Apple environment. I am very pleased with how it went, my work improved massively, I became a much better web designer since then. I doubt that I'd be that good if I were still using Windows.

I had a couple of attempts with Linux distros before, but didn't like them. I used Ubuntu in my second work place with a Dell Optiplex in 2011, until I switched to an OS X Virtual Machine simply because there was no macs for use. Now I work in another place full of MBPs and iMacs. I'm in heaven 😀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 51 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They do if you have the kexts/drivers for them.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 52 of 69, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm i don`t get what the TOPIC Starter means ?
i have a PowerMac G5 and i use PC Components inside, for example Dual RS232 Card, Realtek Gigabit Ethernet and also a Radeon AGP Card.
Also a SATA Controller just works fine..

All Macs beyond PowerMacs are just PCs for me with different Firmware and RipOff Pricing.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 53 of 69, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:07:
jmarsh wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:00:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-09, 14:48:

Faster at doing what? Rendering videos?

They fly faster through the air when you throw them (up to a point; the macbook's mass gives them advantage when combined with gravity).

Physics 101: v=a.t

Mass has nothing to do with falling speed 😉

Don't forget less air drag.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 54 of 69, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-09, 10:48:

Apple is mainly used by creative workers, hipsters and people who don't know any better.

sigh... This is tired trope that really needs to die.

Sure, there are people who see their computer / tablet / phone / watch as a status symbol. Good for them. I don't know or care what that approval does for anyone. I don't think anyone is impressed with me as a person based on the logo on my laptop, nor would I care.

Meanwhile, I need tools to do work. In my industry, Mac is taking over PCs bit by bit. At my own company, where the engineers basically get to pick their platform, it's about 50/50. This is a group of people who base their career and earn their living by being technical SMEs. So they absolutely "know better". Some might be hipsters, most wouldn't know fashion or trends or anti-trends if they were slapped in the face with a Gucci handbag.

As an example, last week I was travelling again. That means long days without consistent access to power outlets. The power-efficient hardware design + OS X's power management are a godsend. I had to plug in to various wired networks and join several wireless networks to get my job done. The Mac networking system is agile and convenient - it takes much less effort to manually assign IPs, modify DNS, etc. The built in tools (SSH, wget, etc.) and the fully-baked graphical UI bring the best of Linux and the best of Windows together in one OS. Back to hardware design, the MBP is small, light, and well-balanced, and has a fantastic touchpad, which made it not only possible but pleasant to use while having to hold it in one hand and type / point with the other. I've always dreaded sleep mode on Windows (never seemed to work well), while on OS X, I close the lid any time I'm not planning to use it immediately. I reboot to upgrade the OS, and that's about it. It. Just. Works.

People sneer about how "it's just x86 but more expensive lawls" -- it's not. It's a sum more than its parts. A premium product. Not just a brand, but an actual culmination of design and engineering prowess. If you haven't lived with it for a month or so, you just don't know what you're missing. As someone who has used my share of Sony, Dell, and Lenovo products, this notebook - my first MBP - won me over utterly and completely. For an equivalent product (not just similar specs crammed in to a cheap plastic shell, but a truly equivalent build), it's not much (if any) more expensive, and even if it was, I'm willing to pay. It's worth every %@#$ penny and more. I was hesitant to switch, and while I still use both Windows and Linux, I wouldn't go back to either as a primary OS unless or until Apple really screws up, Windows gets significantly better at getting out of the way, or Linux gets fully caught up.

Reply 55 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2020-01-13, 19:54:

I agree with every word you wrote. However, I think you need to try out the Dell XPS models, most particularly the Dell XPS 15" 9570. Then you will (probably) keep your words the same, but you might feel tempted by the power of this XPS model.

You can run Windows 10 on it, sure, and the screen is touch screen, but here comes the better part. It's fully hackintoshable! You can run macOS on it, the touch screen also works. I don't know about the price - it is damn expensive here in Brazil but not as much as the high end MBPs that can compete with this Dell model. I've settled for a second hand 2012 13" MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM. The 2012 model is the last one that could upgrade most parts easily.

I had two MacBooks and a hackintosh in the past (2010-2013 with a 2010 13" MBP, and 2014-2018 with a 2014 11" MacBook Air, and finally 2018-2019 with a Dell G5 hackintosh which didn't last more than three months because of its sturdy and heavy design). I did a desktop hackintosh four years ago that was much more rock solid than the G5.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 56 of 69, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I wanted any of the “improvements” of a macbook over an x64 ultrabook I would just use Linux. And I do.

Reply 57 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-14, 04:38:

If I wanted any of the “improvements” of a macbook over an x64 ultrabook I would just use Linux. And I do.

You can do that too, its not wrong. But tell me, how’d you run Photoshop on Linux? My favorite IDE to work on websites is Coda for Mac. There’s nothing even close to Coda for both Windows and Linux. I tried Visual Studio Code for a week and... returned to Coda.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 58 of 69, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 04:46:

You can do that too, its not wrong. But tell me, how’d you run Photoshop on Linux? My favorite IDE to work on websites is Coda for Mac. There’s nothing even close to Coda for both Windows and Linux. I tried Visual Studio Code for a week and... returned to Coda.

That is just software preference. Preference which relates you to the same archetypical Mac user you denied to exist. İ

Reply 59 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-14, 05:11:
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 04:46:

That is just software preference. Preference which relates you to the same archetypical Mac user you denied to exist. İ

Oh come on. At least unlike many apple fanboys, I try the things to see if theres anything better. I use Coda since 2011 and I am pretty satisfied with this software. I tried several Photoshop rivals (Affinity Designer, Pixelmator, Acorn, Gimp...) and only Pixelmator gets close enough... but I need to learn how to use it and its shortcuts... takes time and requires changes to my “workflow”

The kind of user that “does not know better” exists even in other OSes. I was a Windows user who didnt want to try a Mac. But after falling in love with the iPhone, iPod Nano... and being disappointed with Windows XP, Vista, 7... I had to try. And loved it since the first minute, it just works. Flawlessly. What can I say?

I believe it is the same for Linux or Windows users, they prefer it because they already have a “workflow” that works for them on these OSes.

I saw an Ubuntu linux user switch to a Windows 10 Pro because he was given a new laptop (better and faster) at work, and it was requested, the old desktop he used was failing. He was the last linux user at work. Now its 50/50 Win vs Mac here.

JOBS, Steve.