Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly. Emojis look pretty good on Windows by default.

Not as good as the Apple/WhatsApp ones, but they're alright.

Anmerkung 2020-01-14 224220.jpg
Filename
Anmerkung 2020-01-14 224220.jpg
File size
34.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 441 of 743, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-14, 20:58:

IMO, think of it like participating in a real discussion. Even if you just stand there listening to them, it's nicer to say "Great idea, I like it" than just putting your thumbs up 😀

I deadass will give people the silent thumbs up in real life. Sometimes it's actually better because you can show approval without interrupting them if they are still prattling on

Reply 442 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-14, 20:58:

IMO, think of it like participating in a real discussion. Even if you just stand there listening to them, it's nicer to say "Great idea, I like it" than just putting your thumbs up 😀

Yeah, I just didn’t want to make some people suffer from scrolling the page just to see my (long) quote with my reply 😜 hahaha

I will just strip the quote when it’s longer and do that.

maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-14, 21:55:

I deadass will give people the silent thumbs up in real life. Sometimes it's actually better because you can show approval without interrupting them if they are still prattling on

This. Is exactly what I do IRL.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 443 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I got nothing... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 444 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sledge wrote on 2020-01-14, 21:01:

@imi: Windows emojis are ok, it's your weird system settings what makes them look like that. Same situation as with your fonts. You've disabled antialiasing & cleartype and you are complaining that things look wrong. Well, YOU made them look wrong, simple as that 😀

because antialiasing of fonts and cleartype literally hurts my eyes.

and I am complaining because sites and programs remove support for sharp display of fonts and other things on low DPI screens.

it would not look wrong if it were simply supported, which it should be as long as not everyone has a really high DPI screen as I elaborated before.
and no, I won't buy a 4k+ screen just to browse forums.

and even then, the default OS smileys don't look nearly as nice as the old ones and give off a really "cheap-ish" feel imho.

Reply 445 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ why don't you just replace this font in your system with something you like better? It's a little unreasonable to expect the whole board to be changed to accommodate your very specific system 'tweak' (which 99% of people would argue makes things looks worse.) Others here have used a CSS extension to make similar changes with a few lines of code, or if you're on Linux, there's even font substitution tables built into most desktops so you don't have to mess around with swapping the file.

Somehow I doubt anti-aliased fonts "literally" make your eyes hurt, but we all have our preferences...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 446 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well you can doubt it, but it is true.

the only reason I am complaining so much about this is because it is an issue that I care very much about, and when a retro site like this does it, it hurts even more.

I want to preserve the pixel-perfect sharp look whenever possible because it simply looks so much better (imo) and is easy on the eyes.

Reply 447 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why don’t you use a browser extension to fix this font for you? Like xjas said, others have found their way to accommodate themselves here.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 448 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am doing that, unfortunately they make other parts of the site unusable (i.e. disabling custom fonts making the UI unintelligible)

I planned on doing a full custom CSS for the site some time, especially to seperate content from the background again, but I didn't have the time yet, nor do I even know if I can change all the things I plan to.

Reply 449 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote on 2020-01-08, 06:36:
Paralel wrote on 2020-01-05, 02:47:

I posted this in another thread, not sure which one it should be in, so I'll just put it here as well:

I’ll address this where you mentioned it on the welcome thread.

Just wanted to ask about this again since I may have missed where it was addressed. Below is the original post I was referring to.

Paralel wrote on 2020-01-05, 02:47:
realnc wrote on 2020-01-04, 18:15:

Is it just me, or does the forum now hijack my mouse cursor? Instead of the mouse cursor I have set in my OS settings, it changes it to a weird, thin and very small mouse cursor.

It does. To me, this is an inappropriate "form over function" situation. I need to use the largest cursor I can on my screen due to ocular issues. Having my cursor shrunk for no good reason makes it very hard to use this forum. This change should be removed ASAP as it adds nothing to the site and impacts usability. For all this talk about "best practices" when building a website, I can guarantee changing the cursors size so it is a fraction of what it needs to be for some people to use their systems correctly is absolutely not considered a "best practice" in any situation.

Also, to follow up. I have to turn on the magnifier feature just for this website so it is usable since it hijacks the cursor and makes it so small. It seems a little absurd that I need to do this just for a single website due to a stylistic preference that goes against usability best practices. I would ask you at least make it an option that can be turned off at a minimum.

Reply 450 of 743, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't there a option somewhere in whatever browser to forbid sites from replacing the cursor?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 451 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-01-15, 12:50:

Isn't there a option somewhere in whatever browser to forbid sites from replacing the cursor?

You can, with Chrome: Click "Customize and Control Google Chrome" > Settings. Click on "Show Advanced Settings" Scroll to the "Privacy" section then click on the "Content settings" button. Under the "Mouse cursor" section, select "Do not allow any site to disable the mouse cursor".

Firefox has no such option and since the pointer images are not urls but rather raw data embedded in the CSS you can't use a blocker like uBlock to filter them either. You probably need something like Stylish to specifically ignore or replace those.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 452 of 743, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-15, 13:09:

Firefox has no such option and since the pointer images are not urls but rather raw data embedded in the CSS you can't use a blocker like uBlock to filter them either. You probably need something like Stylish to specifically ignore or replace those.

Or hope that the website's designer fixes this accessibility issue.

Reply 453 of 743, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like new design but there are some inconveniences.
For example, this topic lost imortant coloured fonts used as legend:
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
P.S. Now I see new legend (numbers instead of colours). Thanks!

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 454 of 743, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know what I don't like about the new forum - it doesn't work on old web browsers anymore.
This forum used to show up properly on Firefox 2.0 running on Windows 98. Now it looks all messed up and cannot render properly.
Guess I won't be checking this forum from my Windows 98 computer anymore.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 455 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote on 2020-01-17, 17:24:

You know what I don't like about the new forum - it doesn't work on old web browsers anymore.
This forum used to show up properly on Firefox 2.0 running on Windows 98. Now it looks all messed up and cannot render properly.
Guess I won't be checking this forum from my Windows 98 computer anymore.

Doesn't matter which theme it is using, because the upgraded forum also forces the use of newer security and ciphers, on Windows 3.11 I cannot log in anymore no matter which browser; on Windows 2000 I can use the most up-to-date SeaMonkey and New Moon 28.8.x (both with BlackWingCat's kernel extender) and still be able to see the forum properly and login. Some reported that with Windows 9x and Retrozilla they can log in, as long as they enable certain ciphers that were off by default.

I use Windows 2000 with BWC because I not only like the classic desktop, but also wanted something closer to Windows 98 and allowing me to do some modern browsing and activities.

The only way to browse on older Win 9x and Win 3.x machines would be some kind of browser modification (to include newer ciphers) like the ones made by roytam1 with older Firefox (Retrozilla), because Vogons will never reduce its security to allow older browsers to log in again. The forum renders quite decent without any stylesheets.

Hell, let's see... if Google can have an option to enable access to their services for "less secure apps" visible to the user, then why not give the same feature to a simple forum?

Unless there is a source code for Netscape 4.x floating around and a programmer willing to tinker with it, there's not much hope for us.

I had suggested to use the usenet bridge for anyone in an older computer to be able to follow the forum while enjoying its retro activities on it. Keenemaster486 also liked the idea and was looking forward to find a way to help on it, as long as the admins approve, I think.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 456 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience as I continue to work through issues as time allows.

gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-02, 19:47:

It's broken, just not too badly yet. It will only get worse.
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list … PHP-5.6.40.html

Old versions of phpBB are significantly more broken, and I actually ended up discovering and reporting a vulnerability while I was working on this redesign. The fix for that vulnerability was not backported to the old version of phpBB. Even up-to-date vanilla versions of phpBB are in a bad place security-wise, there are quite a few extensions to this board to address design flaws.

Orka Borka wrote on 2020-01-02, 23:01:

Even if the contrast level is correct per WCAG, the hue/saturation relationship is maybe a little jarring? Violet is perceived by the human eye as a cold/dark hue, especially on additive color surfaces, and to compensate maybe you boosted the saturation level?

I'm probably talking to a Graphic Designer, so there's no need to "mansplain" on my side, but this post explains way better than I could my point.

(Also for anyone with a bit of interest on this topic, give a look at the books from alistapart.com, maybe their writing style feels a bit too "embellished" for those who are looking for a strictly technical manual but the analyses are quite on point. The book on color accessibility is this one. )

I am not a graphic designer but I am glad that I can fake it enough that people think it’s possible 😀

The story of the background colour is more involved and rather less deliberate. Originally it was much darker and bluer, but I was told that distinctive purple was an important part of the site identity. So, I made it warmer and brighter, a harmonic of the original blue-grey which is still used for all the lines and borders. Some colour-corrected pixels ended up baked into some screenshots and when a live version of the site was presented I received feedback that it was bluer than originally presented and should be more purple like the screenshots so I shifted the colour to be warmer once again. Happily this ended up in a very C64-esque place. Unhappily not everyone enjoys it.

The algorithm used for WCAG is not perfect but it is also not a simple accounting of brightness, it is based on relative luminance in sRGB colour space and so does have sensitivity to changes in hue and saturation.

With regards to that SE post, I’m unaware of any research that suggests that large x-heights can compensate for low contrast. I would be happy to read any such research if it exists, but I suspect this is an unfounded extrapolation from guidance that large text can meet accessibility requirements at lower contrasts. Also, the Smashing article that the post claims reflects “best practices” is actually just a survey of design trends from 2009. It is not a user study and it explicitly states that it’s “not scientific” and consists only of “rough guidelines”. So that doesn’t fill me with confidence that the SE post represents ground truth.

As far as the ALA books go, do they actually cite scientific studies and vision research, or do they just make claims that look reasonable?

VileR wrote on 2020-01-03, 18:29:

Contrast: Most of the text is very brightly white; too much contrast can be just as bad as too little

I haven’t been able to find any research which supports such statements about negative effects of high contrast—and I have spent hours looking! As I mentioned in the other feedback thread, when I find people making this claim citing a reference, it’s always this study, and I have no idea why; the sample size is too small (N=8, 25% colour blind), the negative responses were to low contrasts of 2.95:1 and 1.46:1, there were no negative responses to the maximum contrast (22:1), and the research was preliminary research on using colour to enhance computer UIs, not a study of usability.

On the other hand, the phenomenon of light-on-dark text being harder to read for people with astigmatism is known. My understanding is that the correct solution for that is to switch to a dark-on-light theme or wear corrective lenses.

Those who have fixed the problem for themselves by making the background darker… I don’t currently know of any phenomenon that would account for that other than personal preference. Poor room lighting?

What value for the text do you think should be used instead of pure white?

Currently I have these proposed causes and solutions for folks who are having a problem with the new colour scheme:

1. The problem is personal preference. There is no change which can address this other than adding new themes for every person’s preference, which is not feasible due to resource constraints.
2. The problem is due to differences in monitor colour reproduction. Even different browsers on the same computer can create different colours due to colour correction errors and there is not much I think I can do about this without possibly causing a new problem for someone else.
2. The problem is any light text on a dark background, due to astigmatism. I’m not sure there is much I can do about this either, other than to encourage people to wear glasses, ensure their room is adequately lit, or switch to the oldskool theme.
3. The problem is the moderate (60%) saturation of the background, caused by an unknown phenomenon.
4. The problem is the hue (246°) of the background, caused by an unknown phenomenon.
5. The problem is the moderate-high (9.93:1) contrast between the text and background, caused by an unknown phenomenon. This would seem to contradict most formal usability studies and guidance.
6. The problem is the font?

Given the breadth of possibility here I want to make sure I am operating with as complete of an understanding as I can before making any change (same as with the dithering problem which I’ve been working on in the suggestions/feedback thread). I do believe that some people are having some trouble and I want to try to make things as good as I can for as many people as I can within the constraints that exist. I hope that makes sense, though I understand it will feel frustrating for anyone that’s unhappy and wants it to be better right now and knows the plainly obvious solution.

imi wrote on 2020-01-04, 12:10:
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-04, 10:24:

We have smartphones and tablets now and these don't have a lot of space, so we need to use this space in the best possible way.

that is why mobile versions exist, no reason to butcher desktop usability for that imo.

You can have a small screen with a fine input device (phone or PDA with stylus), and you can have a big screen with a coarse input device (laptop with touch screen). “Desktop vs mobile” is a false dichotomy since there are actually two axes involved (screen size and input mode). “Mobile versions” are typically created when people don’t understand this distinction. Does an iPad get the “mobile” version with low information density and missing features, or the “desktop” version which has unusably small buttons? Does a Microsoft Surface get the “desktop” version because it’s a laptop, or the “mobile” version because it’s got a touch screen? Does a foldable phone get the “mobile” version because it’s a small screen when it’s folded, or does it get the “desktop” version because it’s a big screen when it’s not? Responsive design works for all classes of device all of the time. Separate “mobile versions” do not.

imi wrote on 2020-01-04, 12:10:

of course it is "my fault" if I disable smoothed fonts, but I think I have made my case why that is necessary to keep crisp easy to read fonts alive, just because the general trend goes towards optimizing for mobile and hence high-DPI screens where antialiasing is no issue at all since fonts stay crisp and easy to read there and yes I do know people are already used to how "smoothed" (imo blurry) fonts look on desktop

ClearType uses the subpixel layout of your monitor to increase sharpness of text. If ClearType misidentifies the subpixel layout of the monitor it can cause some really ugly text because it lights up the wrong subpixels along the edges. Did you ever run the ClearType tuner before you just turned it off?

VileR wrote on 2020-01-03, 18:29:

Font: […] I think it's the hinting that isn't very good, so on low-DPI screens the text doesn't look very sharp.

The hinting is by ttfautohint, but I think this is true of most fonts, or at least of the OFL-licensed web fonts (if they even bother to include hinting at all!). ttfautohint explicitly states in its documentation that it “expects anti-aliasing with 256 gray levels, which became standard with Windows 98”, so it is not a surprise that results are poor without AA. As such, as far as I can tell, this is not a problem of low-DPI screens—macOS has always completely ignored hinting and renders text wonderfully—but rather of computers which have AA turned off entirely.

konc wrote on 2020-01-03, 15:59:

The only way to come up with realistic numbers is to have a long-lasting poll

I agree with what Dominus said on this. For what it is worth, I have been monitoring theme settings of active users ever since the redesign.

realnc wrote on 2020-01-04, 18:15:

Is it just me, or does the forum now hijack my mouse cursor? Instead of the mouse cursor I have set in my OS settings, it changes it to a weird, thin and very small mouse cursor.

yourepicfailure wrote on 2020-01-04, 22:12:

I never noticed it until someone mentioned it.
I use the classic windows cursor, and the one on Vogons is just *slightly* off.

The cursors are vectorised copies of the Win95 cursors, so they aren’t quite pixel perfect mostly due to antialiasing. The “classic” pointer in Windows 7+ (and possibly earlier) is actually 1×2px bigger than the true original pointer for some reason.

The cursors shouldn’t be weird, thin, or small—but browsers on Windows (unlike on macOS) apparently aren’t scaling custom cursors to match system accessibility settings so I’ve filed bugs about that (Firefox, Chrome). Once those tickets get triaged by the vendors I will know whether or not a change needs to be made here, or if it will be mooted in a couple of months by upstream fixes. In the meantime you have the option to disable custom cursors in Chrome as mentioned earlier by another user, or you can use Stylus to do some overrides in Firefox:

:root { cursor: default !important; }
input, textarea { cursor: text !important; }
:link, :visited, label, select, [type=submit], [type=button], [type=file], [type=radio], [type=checkbox], .alert_close { cursor: pointer !important; }

This isn’t totally exhaustive but it should get you where you want to be for the moment until the path forward is clearer. Sorry about the trouble. I know it’s a silly feature, and, I like to have some silly features when I can get away with it 😀

dionb wrote on 2020-01-04, 00:00:

Afraid no different. Here's two screenshots, there's absolutely no difference in empty space between normal vs small line spacing, so much that even on my 1440p screen the index takes up over two full screens (where it previously comfortably fit on one):

Oh. I thought you were talking about the post text, not the topic lists. I’ve put that on my list to check.

kolderman wrote on 2020-01-04, 09:52:

Would a Trello board be useful to track issues? Maybe more focused discussion could happen there rather than the random feedback/banter that occurs here. Just a thought!

I’ve been extracting issues and putting them onto a board for myself. I asked about a separate forum to track one issue per topic but was rejected 😀

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-07, 01:31:

1) When uploading multiple photos if one is larger than 2mb the post locks up and no way to get out or remove large photo.

Is this still a problem? If so, could you please say which version of iOS you are running?

Kisai wrote on 2020-01-07, 07:28:

I find the front page is difficult to read and see the difference between read and unread. They're both white.

Those screenshots are of a logged out user; there are no unread posts when logged out. When you are logged in, there are four different indicators which differentiate between read and unread forums/topics: the size of the icon border, the colour of the icon border, the weight of the topic/forum title, and the colour of the topic/forum title. I’m not sure offhand what more I could do other than dim the rest of the row?

VileR wrote on 2020-01-07, 21:03:
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-07, 10:53:

Actually yes and no. VOGONS stands for "ver old games on new systems".

That reminds me: in the previous design the acronym was explained, over the logo if not elsewhere.
But after the update, the "Very Old Games On New Systems" tagline doesn't exist anywhere, as far as I can see... so newcomers (who are mostly here for retro systems) are only going to be more confused about what VOGONS stands for. 😉

In my experience people didn’t even notice there was text underneath the logo until I pointed it out to them 😀 It seems like there has been a natural evolution since the early days to become a broader community not just trying to run old games on new systems, but also preserving and documenting and reproducing hardware and other things like that. I tried to expand the tagline to encompass the whole thing but in the end “a community about preserving and making usable again games and other important parts of computing history in the modern world as technology continues to evolve” which is unreasonably long, so now it is just a wordmark and you can pass down the lore in the posts (which may even be too on-point!). 😀

Ant_222 wrote on 2020-01-08, 17:19:

When I view my sent PMs, I don't see which message went to whom. Could it be bug?

Yes, this was a bug and has been fixed. Thanks for reporting it!

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-09, 14:43:
I don’t like it. […]
Show full quote

I don’t like it.

It does not work well with my iPad.

The buttons don’t always work.
This Java stuff does not always work.

I think you should go back to the “search box field.”

“Doesn’t work” isn’t feedback I can take any action on. What doesn’t work? What do you expect to happen? What actually happens instead?

pshipkov wrote on 2020-01-11, 04:40:
Hi there. I notice some issues with pictures in a thread that i post from time to time. 3 (+3 more) retro battle stations Basica […]
Show full quote

Hi there.
I notice some issues with pictures in a thread that i post from time to time.
3 (+3 more) retro battle stations
Basically the pictures are available, but the [img] tag is not showing them.
At the same time i see others posting images successfully.

Is this a bug with the new forums template, or new rule that i am not aware of ?

Inline images can only be retrieved from HTTPS-enabled servers. Browsers that support Content-Security-Policy will automatically upgrade insecure requests (i.e. old tags with HTTP URLs), and this will fail if the server doesn’t also support HTTPS.

franpa wrote on 2020-01-13, 08:57:

I'm sure this was already asked but... why did you decide to go to a totally new forum software instead of just updating to the latest PHPBB which'd presumably addresses most/all of the issues while keeping things much more familiar?

This is phpBB. The rest of this question was addressed previously. Please look to the FAQ in the first post.

bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 22:03:

Do you also put on the sunglasses at the same time? 😎👍 😀

Roman555 wrote on 2020-01-15, 20:02:

For example, this topic lost imortant coloured fonts used as legend:
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots

I updated that post to use a visible legend instead of colours. Arbitrary colours are not safe when there are multiple themes with different background colours and they do not work well for people with colour blindness. If you run across any other posts like this I am sure the moderators will be happy to help out in making sure they are usable again, just remark about it somewhere that they’ll see it.

OK, I hopefully have given some feedback on everything up to now. If you said something that I didn’t reply to and you feel like it is important that I do, please let me know and I will do that the next time I come back for a round-up.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 457 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-01-17, 20:11:
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 22:03:

Do you also put on the sunglasses at the same time? 😎👍 😀

No, but now that you mentioned it... I might start doing it 😜

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 458 of 743, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-01-17, 20:11:

For what it is worth, I have been monitoring theme settings of active users ever since the redesign.

And are you ready to share the results?

Reply 459 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-02, 13:59:

I always wanted to ask. How do you know your PC supports SSE? What about virtual machines like VMWare, how do we know?

By what CPU you have in your computer.

You can use CPU-Z in Windows as an easy check.

For VMWare, if the host CPU has SSE, then so should the VM. You have to go really far back to have a version of VMWare that supports CPUs without SSE.
For ESXi, all the way back to 4.0, 64-bit CPUs are required so SSE is a moot point.
For VMWare Workstation, it looks like version 4 was the last version to support non-64-bit CPUs. 3.2 and 4.0 state they work on hosts systems with the Pentium instruction set though they do say a minimum of 266Mhz and 400Mhz respectively is required.

You can also look up intel CPU specifications on the Intel ARK website.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html

As far as SSE support goes:
Intel - anything Pentium III or newer.
AMD - anything Athlon XP / Duron (morgan core or newer).

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK